Soward on Walker (rates him)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soward on Walker (rates him)

Soward did a nice little 1 minute clip on Walker v Townsend on nrl.com. As I know nothing about 'being a good half' I thought it was pretty useful. He noted that Walker:
    - Goes up beyond the advantage line and then weaves behind players (without doing a shepherd... some clever stuff INO, certainly a detail I don't notice).
    - Had SoS second guessing himself as a result (important as SoS was also a Rooster a few years back). A lot of halves go their whole careers without doing stuff like that. Sounds like he's got great instinct?
    - Not saying Townsend is great but he's a premiership-winning half and Soward still backs Walker to get on top of him in his second game of NRL. Sounds like he's shown enough to impress already...

While it s*x having Keary out and Friend retired, I reckon we're in for an exciting ride this season if Walker develops steadily throughout the season. I'm sure he'll have the odd Barry Crocker, but it's great seeing somebody learn/develop.

I sincerely hope that the club and staff manage expectations around the kid. He has amazing talent, but he is just that, a kid. I too am particularly excited to watch him develop, but I also hope that he can put on a little bit of weight and bulk up. In the meantime, he will be protected by our heavy artillery.

It is a nice little clip by Jamie Soward - good stuff.
    Last edited by Mad_Rabid_Rooster; 04-08-2021, 11:42 PM.
    MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
    is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
    with that attitude. I can assure you it is
    much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Walker certainly has "next truly great half" potential. And both he and his family seem smart enough to know that the Roosters is the best place for him to realise that potential.

In 2022:

1. Tedesco
      3. Suaalii
      4. Manu
      6. Keary
      7. Walker
      9. Verrills
      13. Radley

Is just a little exciting.

Imagine, just imagine, if the core of that attacking unit gets to play 20+ games together! It seems a pipedream given our recent luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
        Walker certainly has "next truly great half" potential. And both he and his family seem smart enough to know that the Roosters is the best place for him to realise that potential.

In 2022:

1. Tedesco
        3. Suaalii
        4. Manu
        6. Keary
        7. Walker
        9. Verrills
        13. Radley

Imagine, just imagine, if the core of that attacking unit gets to play 20+ games together! It seems a pipedream given our recent luck.
        If they can manage that then I think we're easily going to make the grand final. Suaalii with another year to grow, and Walker with a year of development.

Comment

Walker might even be better than Keary soon enough. Walker definitely has X factor. I am looking forward to him linking with either Lam or Keighran.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

In 2022:

1. Tedesco
            3. Suaalii
            4. Manu
            6. Keary
            7. Walker
            9. Verrills
            13. Radley

I'd love to see Walker at halfback and Keary back at 5/8. I know Keary was playing well at half but I love him attacking short sides as a 6 and being more opportunistic rather than having to worry about guiding the team around. He's a competent kicker but not a real natural one whereas I think Walker has a very good kicking game that will only improve as he puts on a bit more size.

Comment

I'm very eager to see Sam Walker play and develop. I really hope we just stick with him, be patient and support him. I know the Roosters come across as a very cut-throat like club which demands successs every year (true) but this kid could potentially be our half-back and a Queensland Origin half-back (maybe a Kangaroo half-back as well) for at least the next decacde. It's both exciting and scary to think how much growth, exposure and expeirence this kid will get over the next few years with the sides he will most-likely play with in due time.

Potenital Roosters Spine (Including Lock) in 2022:

1. Tedesco
              6. Keary
              7. Walker
              9. Verrills
              13. Radley

Potenital Queensland Spine (Including Lock) in the near future:

1. Brimson (Maybe Ponga)
              6. Munster
              7. Walker
              9. Grant
              13. Faasuamaleaui

Look at the above two sides and whoever they add into the backline and whoever is in the forward pack for either, Walker is going to learn and gain so much. He will be the Roosters and Queensland answer to 'Nathan Cleary' and eventually will overtake him as the #1 half-back in due time.

Exciting times lie ahead

Comment

Originally posted by DP1990 View Post
                I'm very eager to see Sam Walker play and develop. I really hope we just stick with him, be patient and support him. I know the Roosters come across as a very cut-throat like club which demands successs every year (true) but this kid could potentially be our half-back and a Queensland Origin half-back (maybe a Kangaroo half-back as well) for at least the next decacde. It's both exciting and scary to think how much growth, exposure and expeirence this kid will get over the next few years with the sides he will most-likely play with in due time.

Potenital Roosters Spine (Including Lock) in 2022:

1. Tedesco
                6. Keary
                7. Walker
                9. Verrills
                13. Radley

Potenital Queensland Spine (Including Lock) in the near future:

1. Brimson (Maybe Ponga)
                6. Munster
                7. Walker
                9. Grant
                13. Faasuamaleaui

Look at the above two sides and whoever they add into the backline and whoever is in the forward pack for either, Walker is going to learn and gain so much. He will be the Roosters and Queensland answer to 'Nathan Cleary' and eventually will overtake him as the #1 half-back in due time.

Exciting times lie ahead
                Oh man... could be a painful decade or longer ahead, seeing him put NSW to the sword.

TBH I sorta liked seeng Friend stand up to NSW though. Glad he got to have that final roar.

Comment

Working...
                X