Sonny and share: Coach SBW to mentor Suaalii at Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny and share: Coach SBW to mentor Suaalii at Roosters

May go some way to solve Rusty's "perplexing" problem of why he chose the Roosters...

If the controversy surrounding Cooper Cronk playing a key role at a Melbourne Storm training session on Wednesday does not seem to have the Roosters rattled, there’s a good reason: Sonny Bill Williams has quietly slipped into their coaching system.

SBW made his first appearance in that capacity at the club’s training facility on Thursday and near the top of his list of projects is the development of the game’s most hyped teenager, Joseph Suaalii.

​​​​​​SBW also met with Roosters chairman Nick Politis, who has long wanted the dual international to have a role with the club post-football. Politis wants it even more after signing Suaalii. The pair will work well together.

When Williams returned to the NRL last year for a successful cameo, his worth in publicity to the game was valued, admittedly by the NRL, at $32 million. Suaalii has generated plenty of headlines and is yet to play an NRL game. Even Williams’ debut at Canterbury did not have the same hype.

These are different times, but Williams has lived his life in the spotlight so his perspective and advice will be invaluable. It will be as important as what he can contribute to Suaalii’s football development, if not more.

Williams is poised to work in three different areas in his post-football life. Boxing is going to play a big role. As we told you a few weeks back, he is building his own boxing gym – an indication of the seriousness with which he is taking the sport. I can see him having a dozen fights in the years ahead.

Also firmly in the mix is a cross-code commentary career. Talks are ongoing and SBW is poised to become an expert commentator for Channel Nine and the streaming service Stan. Williams has been a trailblazer throughout his career and if the deal is finalised, as expected, it will be another chapter in an amazing sporting story.

having sbw on board can only be a good thing. having him mentor suaalii ditto

Comment

Chooks sure have a lot of coaches - Robbo/Fitzy/Cayless plus JT and others with Particular roles -Cronk/Mini and Cheika? and now SBW - what's missing ??? - a backs/attack coach and kicking coach (general field) or maybe Cronk does this as well as part of his halves' consultant role.

Robbo/Fitzy and Cayless would be forwards/defence minded.

Robbo used to have an assistant who looked after the attack - Taylor/ Holbrook/O'Brien to name a few but hasn't had one since O'Brien left in 2019.

Should the Chooks have one or need one especially with the rule changes with the ball in play for more minutes each game than ever before- especially this season
      Last edited by King Salvo; 03-07-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
        Chooks sure have a lot of coaches - Robbo/Fitzy/Cayless plus JT and others with Particular roles -Cronk/Mini and Cheika? and now SBW - what's missing ??? - a backs/attack coach and kicking coach (general field) or maybe Cronk does this as well as part of his halves' consultant role.

Robbo used to have an assistant who looked after the attack - Taylor/ Holbrook/O'Brien to name a few but hasn't had one since O'Brien left in 2019.

Should the Chooks have one or need one especially with the rule changes with the ball in play for more minutes each game than ever before- especially this season
        sounds like too many cooks.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

I forgot Matt King who might look after the attack in his assistant coach role although he was there when O'Brien had that role

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

I feel it would be... if Robbo wasn't in charge of tasking them with what to do...etc.

Comment

attack wasn't our problem last year.

robbo knows how to use diff voices and i don't think too many chooks are spoiling the broth

Comment

Can anyone list the full coaching staff and assistants and their roles

Comment

can't get any better mentor than SBW. Considering their size similarities, it's perfect compliment

Comment

Can anyone list the full coaching staff and assistants and their roles
                    I'm sorry there isn't time..

Comment

This is awesome and shows why our dollars mean more than most other clubs.

Getting mentored by SBW in your developing years would be priceless.

Comment

You forgot Matt King

Cheika left last year, helped Argentina in the Rugby and is now coaching Lebanon in the League World Cup *hopefully* later this year.

Interesting fact the last 4 Lebanon coaches have all had some sort of Roosters connection in Cheika, Rick Stone, Brad Fittler and Darren Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                          This is awesome and shows why our dollars mean more than most other clubs.

Getting mentored by SBW in your developing years would be priceless.
                          yep - our dollars are the best that money can buy

Comment

Their birthdays are 2 days apart (same as mine for SBW) so party at my place.
                            "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                            Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

yep - our dollars are the best that money can buy
                              I reckon our culture seals the deal.

IMO uncle Nick gets it that people won't buy a car unless it feels right, so you've gotta dress it up and treat 'em right so that it feels like a good deal.

Whereas phone chucker be like 'I don't care which movie I do next, who's paying the most $$$?!? Heck, I'll put on 80kg for a role and never shed it if that means a few extra dollars in my pocket...'
                              Last edited by ism22; 03-07-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X