‘It’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero!’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘It’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero!’

Interesting read this morning from Foxpsorts in regards to that Vermin scum Crowe and Suaalii. The quote about the salary cap/sombrero right at the end of the article just adds more fuel to the fire...cannot wait for Round 3 for some redemption on last season.

Souths’ owner Russell Crowe has broken his silence on teenage superstar Joseph Suaalii’s defection to arch rivals the Roosters on a deal worth the same money he was on at Souths.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Hollywood mega star was confused why the 17-year-old decided to accept a similar offer at a rival club.

“Does it hurt? It’s a little perplexing, shall we say,” Crowe told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I just hope Joseph is in a place where he’s comfortable and where he can play his best football.

“I think he’s a good kid. We’re not quite sure what the difference is between our dollars and somebody else’s dollars, because theoretically the figures are the same. Who knows?”

Suaalii was offered a contract extension worth $1.7 million at Souths, but the club ultimately baulked at his management’s attempts to put get-out clauses in his contract.

Crowe had Suaalii and his family up to his farm during the negotiation process, but denied having any direct involvement with contract talks for Suaalii or any other Souths’ player.

“He’s a great kid,” Crowe said.

“Met his mum and sister, they came up to the farm. But there’s a complete misunderstanding with what I do at the club.

“I have never negotiated a contract with the player at any time. The questions I ask are more about culture.

“They’re the conversations I have with players. When it comes down to the deal-making, I don’t have anything to do with it.”

Suaalii’s attempts to have get-out clauses inserted in his contract were seen as the final straw for Souths, before the prodigy was wooed by the Roosters and Trent Robinson, with Sonny Bill Williams also involved in the Tri-colours’ pitch.

Souths’ coach Wayne Bennett reportedly told sources close to him that the pursuit of Suaalii became “too hard”.

The Roosters accepted Suaalii’s contractual conditions in the hope that Robinson and the club’s culture could make it very difficult to leave after two seasons.

He then delivered a thinly-veiled swipe at bitter rivals Sydney Roosters when asked whether the Rabbitohs were competition favourites.

“For a start, we work to the salary cap, unlike other people who we won’t discuss. Those blokes who keep plucking magic players out of the sky. What’s the joke: it’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero, isn’t it?”

For the owner of another team, to make comments like that, is pathetic and unprofessional. Wouldn't expect any less from Crowe... Interesting that he didn't pipe up when Latrell signed for Souffs on the same money we offered.

Comment

Originally posted by tloos1999 View Post
      Interesting read this morning from Foxpsorts in regards to that Vermin scum Crowe and Suaalii. The quote about the salary cap/sombrero right at the end of the article just adds more fuel to the fire...cannot wait for Round 3 for some redemption on last season.

Souths’ owner Russell Crowe has broken his silence on teenage superstar Joseph Suaalii’s defection to arch rivals the Roosters on a deal worth the same money he was on at Souths.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Hollywood mega star was confused why the 17-year-old decided to accept a similar offer at a rival club.

“Does it hurt? It’s a little perplexing, shall we say,” Crowe told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I just hope Joseph is in a place where he’s comfortable and where he can play his best football.

“I think he’s a good kid. We’re not quite sure what the difference is between our dollars and somebody else’s dollars, because theoretically the figures are the same. Who knows?”

Suaalii was offered a contract extension worth $1.7 million at Souths, but the club ultimately baulked at his management’s attempts to put get-out clauses in his contract.

Crowe had Suaalii and his family up to his farm during the negotiation process, but denied having any direct involvement with contract talks for Suaalii or any other Souths’ player.

“He’s a great kid,” Crowe said.

“Met his mum and sister, they came up to the farm. But there’s a complete misunderstanding with what I do at the club.

“I have never negotiated a contract with the player at any time. The questions I ask are more about culture.

“They’re the conversations I have with players. When it comes down to the deal-making, I don’t have anything to do with it.”

Suaalii’s attempts to have get-out clauses inserted in his contract were seen as the final straw for Souths, before the prodigy was wooed by the Roosters and Trent Robinson, with Sonny Bill Williams also involved in the Tri-colours’ pitch.

Souths’ coach Wayne Bennett reportedly told sources close to him that the pursuit of Suaalii became “too hard”.

The Roosters accepted Suaalii’s contractual conditions in the hope that Robinson and the club’s culture could make it very difficult to leave after two seasons.

He then delivered a thinly-veiled swipe at bitter rivals Sydney Roosters when asked whether the Rabbitohs were competition favourites.

“For a start, we work to the salary cap, unlike other people who we won’t discuss. Those blokes who keep plucking magic players out of the sky. What’s the joke: it’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero, isn’t it?”
      Look who is farking talking..oh you are gonna get so smashed Crowe baby .
      Crowe is like Jan Brady the middle one left out in the Brady bunch Girls, in 48 years I have seen my team in 10 Grand finals.. won 6 of them....you bitter twisted old former actor .How many you got in your 50.......
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

"whats the difference between our dollars and theirs ?" ...what a thickhead ! the answer to that is in the article and has been known for months. JS wanted get out clauses and Souffs wouldnt grant them. Roosters did give those clauses believing once he's here he wont want to activate those clauses. Obviously we are more comfortable & confident with our team culture & environment than the Vermin are !

Comment

Go ring your bell
          ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

This sums up Crowe.

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/sta...94242806906880

Comment

Should sue the prick for defaming our club.

Comment

He talks to the players about the culture.

I think thats a good enough reason why players want to leave, souths is a cesspit who still employ sam burgess.

suaalii saw what the place for what it truly is and wanted to leave before it affected him.

it's quite simple rusty.

Comment

I am very grateful for Crowe.

He is doing a great job of holding Souffs back.

Comment

hmmm, medically retiring players who then go on to play elsewhere. pothead calling the caffe latte black

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                      Agree Buddy. That comment from Crowe shitcanning our GF victory was the lowest of the low.

No other Rugby League club leader would provide commentary on a game their team wasn't involved in, in such a derogative, petty way.

It clearly defines a great leader like Nick with class and real roots in the game, compared to a johnny come lately wannabe thespian.

He suits their organisation and typifies why they struggle, and we prosper more often than not.

Comment

https://youtu.be/o1DRTnP0gY8

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Cloey View Post
                          I am very grateful for Crowe.

He is doing a great job of holding Souffs back.
                          I'm grateful for Crowe for giving us Keary, Crichton and now Suaalli.

I doubt if Uncle Nick was their leader that they would have left.

Crowe and Fatso have been great for the lack of success for that club. I am very thankful for that.

Comment

The reason is because our culture is better - light years better.

The Roosters are right up there with the Storm as professional, accountable unit.

As we have seen with the Surgess issues, Crowes past sooks and ego laden rants, as well as Fat Richo riding off into the sunset - Souffs have an unaccountable, whining, 'its always someone elses fault' culture.

There is an entitlement culture at Souffs, whereas we have an accountability and hard work culture.

You see this in the 'pride of the loig' bullshit they spew out ad nauseum.

Comment

What a dickh**d lol

Like $ouffs can talk !

Comment

Working...
                              X