Flanagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Hastings was actually a centre when first playing 1st grade in 1976 and into 1977 so he did have some toe - Beetson moved him to half back half way or so through the 1977 season - he replaced Johnny Mayes in the Half Back role

I think all that tackling he did was detrimental to his attacking game - used to see in Rugby League Week his tackle counts being 40 to 50 week in week out - not sure what some others were doing - Ayliffe/Harvey for an example would have tackle counts in the mid to high teens week in week out.
    I think the poster may have been referring to young Hastings being snails pace.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddo Colt 61;n861938][QUOTE=King Salvo; Volkman is one of 5 train and trial possible candidates for the last 2 top 30 squad positions -may also be in contention for a development contract as there are 2 of these vacant

A week or so ago I asked if anyone had any news on Volkman. A day prior to that a crew of Samoans were felling trees at my place and when I asked about any NRL interest one of them volunteered that he was a Rooster supporter. He then added that he was no fan of "rugby" generally but that his cousin was Ronald Volkman and that the family was excited on being told that young Ron had made the "team" for 2021 but he had no idea which team.

Volkman is a real talent (and a goal kicker) and there's a struck match between him and Walker imo. Problem is, like Walker, will he cut it at NRL level? Schoolboy star is one thing. Luai has been several years in the making.
      [/QUOTE]

We have had some trees lobbed/trimmed and general clean up several times over the years as well - Samoans too - they sure come in numbers - men/woman and even their kids.

Nothing on the Chooks website or others areas about if Volkman made the 30 player and or development squad so far.

I just feel that his Volkman's body shape (stocky type) may be better suited to NRL than Walker who like Keary and ex Chook Flanagan are slight in frame - time will tell I suppose- Walker will need to build up his frame somewhat i would say for NRL.

https://www.facebook.com/theroarspor...0567954230476/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRt1_v0R6I

Last edited by King Salvo; 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=King Salvo;n861942]
        Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post

We have had some trees lobbed/trimmed and general clean up several times over the years as well - Samoans too - they sure come in numbers - men/woman and even their kids.

Nothing on the Chooks website or others areas about if Volkman made the 30 player and or development squad so far.

I just feel that his Volkman's body shape (stocky type) may be better suited to NRL than Walker who like Keary and ex Chook Flanagan are slight in frame - time will tell I suppose- Walker will need to build up his frame somewhat i would say for NRL.

https://www.facebook.com/theroarspor...0567954230476/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRt1_v0R6I
        Haha i am waiting on the Islander boys to coming knocking for tree lopping now. They come around once or twice a year and a fraction of the price of competitors , always polite, do a great job and always tidy up afyer themselves.

Comment

Yep they're all of that especially super polite but they have so many kids. It's that traditional cultural idea that that many are needed to cover the gaps left by those who succumb to the pitfalls of life in the undeveloped world. Probably unnecessary in a first world context with its uncertain climate future for us all. But yeah, nice people, good workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
            Our club can lay claim to having the two slowest ever halfbacks. Kurt Sherlock and Flanno.
            Mark Barnes would give them a run for their money.

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Gees there will be some soul searching after that series loss by the baggy greens - Indians down to their net bowlers and the baggy greens apart from Cummins and Hazelwood were disappointing in the bowling.

Lyon didn't get the wickets needed and Stark's inability to swing the ball/bowl yorkers and mop up the tail was also a factor.- Some vital catches dropped as well

The opener's didn't get the side off to the required start and some poor dismissals when batters were set - Wade for an example how many times did he get out to the same shot when set.

Going forward the team should be as follows for next test- need to fix the middle order and plans for bowling especially when batters are going - Baggy Greens should have been more than 33 ahead after the first innings - bowled poorly to the Indian tail - 2 Indian net bowlers both scoring 60 plus should not have occurred and put them back in the match.

Warner
              Pucovski
              Labuschagne
              Smith
              McDermott
              Green
              Paine- C
              Cummins- VC
              Jye Richardson
              Lyon
              Hazelwood

Dropped are

Wade
              Stark
              Head

Paine will be under pressure to hold his spot even if captain - it will be out of Philippe or Carey one would say to replace him - I have McDermott at 5 but Philippe would be a chance. McDermott scored a 100 in Australia A vs India facing the first string Indian bowlers - Bumrah/ Shami/ and two others that played tests in Siraj Saini
              Last edited by King Salvo; 01-19-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Hastings was actually a centre when first playing 1st grade in 1976 and into 1977 so he did have some toe - Beetson moved him to half back half way or so through the 1977 season - he replaced Johnny Mayes in the Half Back role

I think all that tackling he did was detrimental to his attacking game - used to see in Rugby League Week his tackle counts being 40 to 50 week in week out - not sure what some others were doing - Ayliffe/Harvey for an example would have tackle counts in the mid to high teens week in week out.
                I actually meant Jackson, probably should of led with that

Comment

Gees there will be some soul searching after that series loss by the baggy greens - Indians down to their net bowlers and the baggy greens apart from Cummins and Hazelwood were disappointing in the bowling.

Lyon didn't get the wickets needed and Stark's inability to swing the ball/bowl yorkers and mop up the tail was also a factor.- Some vital catches dropped as well

The opener's didn't get the side off to the required start and some poor dismissals when batters were set - Wade for an example how many times did he get out to the same shot when set.

Going forward the team should be as follows for next test- need to fix the middle order and plans for bowling especially when batters are going - Baggy Greens should have been more than 33 ahead after the first innings - bowled poorly to the Indian tail - 2 Indian net bowlers both scoring 60 plus should not have occurred and put them back in the match.

Warner
                  Pucovski
                  Labuschagne
                  Smith
                  Philippe or McDermott
                  Green
                  Paine
                  Cummins
                  Jye Richardson
                  Lyon
                  Hazelwood

Dropped are

Wade
                  Stark
                  Head
                  I'd have Flanagan as the No 7 batter & wicket keeper.

Comment

Warner
                    Pucovski
                    Labuschagne
                    Smith
                    Philippe or McDermott
                    Green
                    Paine
                    Cummins
                    Jye Richardson
                    Lyon
                    Hazelwood

Dropped are

Wade
                    Stark
                    Head

Paine will be under pressure to hold his spot even if captain - it will be out of Philippe or Carey one would say - I have Philippe at 5 but McDermott would be a chance as he scored a 100 in Australia A vs India facing the first string Indian bowlers - Bumrah/ Shami/ and two others that played tests in Siraj Saini
                    Seriously mate, happy to read your Rooster posts but isnt there a cricket forum where u can vent ? U often bring up other sports, oh well, Roosters are out so go Hawthorn, Packers, Lakers, Liverpool,Barcelona,Kings blah blah blah Its Easts or Nuffin maaaaate !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Insider View Post

Seriously mate, happy to read your Rooster posts but isnt there a cricket forum where u can vent ? U often bring up other sports, oh well, Roosters are out so go Hawthorn, Packers, Lakers, Liverpool,Barcelona,Kings blah blah blah Its Easts or Nuffin maaaaate !!!!!
                      Yes me as well , if you have heard that song , I don't like cricket, I hate it ,.Well I do hate it so please Roosters and NRL

Comment

No Cricket No Football codes as these were invented to keep Cricketers fit during the Autumn/Winter months - Remember Victor Trumper

Victor Trumper is mainly remembered as a cricketer but he played a crucial role in the founding of the first rugby league competition in Australia

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...39034216330b06

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-06-12/scg-announces-victor-trumper-stand/2468960
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 01-20-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

No Cricket No Football codes as these were invented to keep Cricketers fit during the Autumn/Winter months - Remember Victor Trumper

Victor Trumper is mainly remembered as a cricketer but he played a crucial role in the founding of the first rugby league competition in Australia

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...39034216330b06

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-06-12/scg-announces-victor-trumper-stand/2468960
                          Pretty sure only AFL fits into that description Salvo. Union evolved out of Soccer - William Webb Ellis picked the ball up and ran. League evolved out of union also in England as clubs wanted to pay players.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Yes me as well , if you have heard that song , I don't like cricket, I hate it ,.Well I do hate it so please Roosters and NRL
                            Agreed. Not gonna vent and give all the reasons why, but it's so fukking boring.

The only thing I like about it (as an adult, not a kid) is that it's the only 'sport' where I literally sit around on the sideline all day with a beer in my hand, sledging people (while 1 or 2 guys do all the batting and bowling). Sums up my childhood experience of it though (minus the beer beer and sledging as they were banned)... which is why I preferred other sports (i.e. less sitting around and more doing stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Agreed. Not gonna vent and give all the reasons why, but it's so fukking boring.

The only thing I like about it (as an adult, not a kid) is that it's the only 'sport' where I literally sit around on the sideline all day with a beer in my hand, sledging people (while 1 or 2 guys do all the batting and bowling). Sums up my childhood experience of it though (minus the beer beer and sledging as they were banned)... which is why I preferred other sports (i.e. less sitting around and more doing stuff).
                              yeh i can imagine it

Comment

I wish he ran at the line as much as he is running his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X