No announcement yet.

We're on idle, have been for two weeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're on idle, have been for two weeks.

And don't be surprised if the Dragons roll us next week.

Robbo will time our run starting in a couple of weeks. He will then throw in a bower with the inclusion of SBW. The effect he will have on the playing group, the return of some injured and the revving up of those currently being managed through games, should see us hit the throttle and the finals.

Melb are our threat. The Riff are peaking way too early. The Eels will be happy to make the finals/GF and the Raiders are fading.

Chook.

I agree that we're in the midst of our mid season crusie. The major difference is that this one has been enforced due to injuries.

However if we can get our troops back come finals and keep racking up the wins then the competition will be terrified.

The worry is that we can't afford to drop too many games during this injury crisis if we want to make the top 4.

I looked at the Raiders draw and it's shockingly easy. After the Panthers next week they have the likes of the Broncos, Titans, Bulldogs, Warriors and Dragons on the horizon.

Our clash in rnd 17 may well decide who finishes 4th.

Can we win the comp from 5th if at full strength (minus our season ending injuries)?

As Robbo says, no two seasons are the same. So maybe this is the path we must take in 2020 - the challenge we need.

Comment

'Tommy Smith ''Can we win the comp from 5th if at full strength (minus our season ending injuries)?''(quotes not working)

I believe this is almost impossible for any team. It's too much of an ask to win these 4 weeks in a row with no rest. We have to finish top 4.

Comment

What about Penrith? I don't think they can win the comp but they will be up there - perhaps knock out a real contender / take a top 4 spot / push for the GF??

Comment

Originally posted by The Corner Post View Post
          What about Penrith? I don't think they can win the comp but they will be up there - perhaps knock out a real contender / take a top 4 spot / push for the GF??
          Ive had to re-evaluate about them, they can win it.

Some brilliant young talent there now.
          I stand with the Police.

Comment

We can’t afford to drop games with the short season. These games without our players are critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Ive had to re-evaluate about them, they can win it.

Some brilliant young talent there now.
              They lack the experience to win big games. They will be one of those sides that at the end of the year everyone will talk about being better for the run and experience they gained in the finals this year. They look incredibly well set up with enormous talent coming through their ranks.

Gus deserves a lot of credit for the work he has done with their pathways.

Comment

Panthers can absolutely win it

Comment

I can't believe we are still favourites to win the comp , for mine we are only even money to make the top 4 and no one has won it under this format from outside that position.
                  Penrith are a huge chance you can see that Cleary has grown physically and mentally and is now the best halfback in the game and they have all positions covered .
                  Parra likewise have plenty of depth and are a very good team.
                  Injuries have decimated us so far this year and there is still a lot to happen.
                  We have to just keep hanging in until we get some troops back and maybe some of those other teams might start getting some injuries of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by The Corner Post View Post
                    I think there are 5 or 6 serious contenders...
                    1. The Riff haven't blown teams outta the park but they're the form team of this comp and have zero injuries (VERY important).
                    2. Parra have defensive concerns but a lot of good backs/playmakers (that dude who steamrolled Teddy is a beast) and again... no injuries.
                    3. The Drizzle are average but have no injuries and a knack for managing teams out of contention (usually assisted by generous reffing decisions - which means their bodies are never pushed to the max by having to defend 10+ repeat sets as they always get timely let-offs, minimising injuries + recovery...etc for them). They're not the best team in the comp though! Despite having this trump card, they do it every year and have very few premierships to show for it.
                    4. Roosters have the best defence and the best 30-man roster. Even with injuries (way more than any other team - don't believe the Raiders' shyte... 2 players who had 'season ending' injuries when they played us returned last night with no dramas) we are winning games against motivated, full-strength squads who are doing a looot of homework on beating our defence. We're the best but we're the best because we train harder than anybody else + adapt our style to win despite a loooot of rough calls + infuriating numbers of shoddy repeat sets that we have to defend. IMO in contrast to the Drizzle's 'luck' with the refs (which saves their bodies)... we're getting broken from all the extra workload. If we're close to full strength and playing important games, nobody will beat us. They don't have the players, the coaching or the skills.
                    5. Raiders are fast becoming a clone of the Drizzle. Maybe the 'Melbourne Project' is becoming the 'Canberra Project'? They're not all that great but they niggle out a lot of undeserved wins through lucky calls and unusual tactics (which never seem to be policed properly because refs don't seem to want to be constantly interfering). They cry a lot too!!! Oh boooo hooo... some random winger who subbed in for Rapana (their #1 pick by far) for a week and then gave his fans the bird over a loss got a fully deserved injury. Scott has NEVER played because he threw his cellphone at a car, slept nude in moore park and then assaulted a police officer who woke him up (all while high on drugs) and thinks it's 'unfair' that they're refusing to drop the charges (when they have body cam evidence on file of him swinging haymakers at a cop). That's not an 'injury'... that's a bad recruitment decision. Then a hooker (who wants an early release) and a backrower with 'season ending' injuries magically both returned. Something odd's going on in Canberra and it's not injuries! It sounds more like 'people not wanting to play'... I have serious questions about their team's depth and mental toughness.
                    6. Manly or Souffs can probably do alright on their day. Manly just needs Trbo to be fit and suddenly they start winning. Souffs have basically an international backline... but everybody's outta position + playing like poo. Given the right circumstances, both could beat all of the above teams if their outside backs get a few lucky tries early on and Reynolds/DCE decide to have respectable kicking games (i.e. got ahead then manage them out kinda luck).
                    Last edited by ism22; 08-02-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

I think there are 5 or 6 serious contenders...
                      1. The Riff haven't blown teams outta the park but they're the form team of this comp and have zero injuries (VERY important).
                      2. Parra have defensive concerns but a lot of good backs/playmakers (that dude who steamrolled Teddy is a beast) and again... no injuries.
                      3. The Drizzle are average but have no injuries and a knack for managing teams out of contention (usually assisted by generous reffing decisions - which means their bodies are never pushed to the max by having to defend 10+ repeat sets as they always get timely let-offs, minimising injuries + recovery...etc for them). They're not the best team in the comp though! Despite having this trump card, they do it every year and have very few premierships to show for it.
                      4. Roosters have the best defence and the best 30-man roster. Even with injuries (way more than any other team - don't believe the Raiders' shyte... 2 players who had 'season ending' injuries when they played us returned last night with no dramas) we are winning games against motivated, full-strength squads who are doing a looot of homework on beating our defence. We're the best but we're the best because we train harder than anybody else + adapt our style to win despite a loooot of rough calls + infuriating numbers of shoddy repeat sets that we have to defend. IMO in contrast to the Drizzle's 'luck' with the refs (which saves their bodies)... we're getting broken from all the extra workload. If we're close to full strength and playing important games, nobody will beat us. They don't have the players, the coaching or the skills.
                      5. Raiders are fast becoming a clone of the Drizzle. Maybe the 'Melbourne Project' is becoming the 'Canberra Project'? They're not all that great but they niggle out a lot of undeserved wins through lucky calls and unusual tactics (which never seem to be policed properly because refs don't seem to want to be constantly interfering). They cry a lot too!!! Oh boooo hooo... some random winger who subbed in for Rapana (their #1 pick by far) for a week and then gave his fans the bird over a loss got a fully deserved injury. Scott has NEVER played because he threw his cellphone at a car, slept nude in moore park and then assaulted a police officer who woke him up (all while high on drugs) and thinks it's 'unfair' that they're refusing to drop the charges (when they have body cam evidence on file of him swinging haymakers at a cop). That's not an 'injury'... that's a bad recruitment decision. Then a hooker (who wants an early release) and a backrower with 'season ending' injuries magically both returned. Something odd's going on in Canberra and it's not injuries! It sounds more like 'people not wanting to play'... I have serious questions about their team's depth and mental toughness.
                      6. Manly or Souffs can probably do alright on their day. Manly just needs Trbo to be fit and suddenly they start winning. Souffs have basically an international backline... but everybody's outta position + playing like poo. Given the right circumstances, both could beat all of the above teams if their outside backs get a few lucky tries early on and Reynolds/DCE decide to have respectable kicking games (i.e. got ahead then manage them out kinda luck).
                      Good post Ism22, I disagree with Souths and would have the Sharks in there atm apart from that I wholly agree with what you say, what’s going to work for us is the fact that Penrith and Parra have **** all big game experience Melbourne and Canberra rely on refs help, come finals when all that bullshit disappears, and we have close to a full roster to select from we will be hard to beat.
                      Robbo’s management thus far has been exemplary with the massive injury toll Bmoz, JMoz, Toops, Cords, Gussy, Radley, Verrills, young Billy Smith, now JWH. It’s tough it really is a slog for the boys atm and they’re battling you can see it the last 2 weeks especially. If all goes well we could have Cords BMoz Toops and Gus back by the Storm game round 14 if not by round 15 they will be and hopefully JWH should be right, and we can start a run where Robbo flicks the Bondi wall to impenetrable.

Comment

Agreed. Would be great to get the 2 points against the Dragons and limp over the line again.
                        Red, White and Bluesters!!!

Comment

We played and won yesterday without 7 first graders, If we get Sonny, plus Toups, the two Moz boys and Cords back we can beat anyone, if we get Angus back even better. We can still easily finish 2nd because of out for and against. If we finish top 2 we are a huge chance of the 3peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chook View Post
                            And don't be surprised if the Dragons roll us next week.

Robbo will time our run starting in a couple of weeks. He will then throw in a bower with the inclusion of SBW. The effect he will have on the playing group, the return of some injured and the revving up of those currently being managed through games, should see us hit the throttle and the finals.

Melb are our threat. The Riff are peaking way too early. The Eels will be happy to make the finals/GF and the Raiders are fading.

Chook.
                            Easy to say we will start our run in a few weeks...... when all our players will be back.

Comment

From what I’ve seen of the Dragons, they play for about 40 minutes and that’s it. Lomax and Dufty are in top form though, they’ll be tough to deal with. What worries me are the storm and Raiders games, realistically got to win one to keep our spot in the top 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X