Key Factors in "new" comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Factors in "new" comp

I reckon the two biggies to decide this season are who has the best depth when injuries strike, and whose dummy half dominates best. Even moreso than usual

Injuries: Can see a high early attrition rate with injuries across the comp. Players having a break from usual routine, playing catch up with physical contact training, pushing the limits when not match fit etc. The teams with the best depth and contingency planning for the inevitable injuries will push ahead of the pack.

Dummy half: Games won off best management of the ruck esp with rule changes. Smarts like Smith and Hodgson, speed like Cook and Koraisau will be hard to beat. Our lad Friendy is somewhere in between , not as smart as Smith or quick as Cook. But a warrior who will leave no stone unturned for victory. Pure heart.

Interesting....waddaya reckon?

I dunno.
    I wonder if the new rules will suit Verrills game?
    Maybe Friendy gets some time at lock.

Comment

New rules have escalated the value of Verrills, he has become a near certainty for a bench spot. His running from dummy half when forwards are getting tired will become even more valuable next year when interchanges become 6.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
        I dunno.
        I wonder if the new rules will suit Verrills game?
        Maybe Friendy gets some time at lock.
        G'day mate how are things?

I'm sure Verrils will be suited. Robbo will no doubt have his plans ready to tackle the revised comp. I think we will see some rotation of 17 man squads mainly in the forwards, as you will need a group of "match ready" players leading in to the playoffs.

Comment

I think the new comp makes it is a pretty open comp.
          Roosters, Melbourne, Canberra, Manly, Parra, Penrith & the Broncos can all win the comp.

Comment

I like that Origin won’t interrupt the regular season
            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

This will be 05 all over again

They have made too many changes at once that will affect ruck speed to the point that defences will be neutered

Teams based on speed will be massively advantaged - and all because rugba ligg now “listens to the people”

Comment

Originally posted by The ticket View Post
                This will be 05 all over again

They have made too many changes at once that will affect ruck speed to the point that defences will be neutered

Teams based on speed will be massively advantaged - and all because rugba ligg now “listens to the people”
                We have Keary, Verrills, Teddy, Manu, Toops, the Twins, Crighton, Rads and Sitili who are all quick and have old school rugba ligg attacking skills. Add old man Maubs who runs the best lines in the game and we'll go ok. Even Tauks and Lindsay are quick for big units.

Comment

for mine one of the biggest factors is the virus. No one's got a crystal ball and we're not sure how it's going to play out. thankfully we've got infection rates down in the general community, so the NRL re-starting is not crazy. the season is hanging by a thread and the players need to do everything they can to stay healthy. so long as teams are going to be put into quarantine if one of they're number is infected, they need to give the virus the respect it warrants.

as far as the rule changes go i'm not sure how that will affect things. it depends how they're interpreted. will the lack of the second referee lead to more or less penalties? without the second ref telling the players what to do, will the linesman/bunker be more or less lenient?

not having reserves will be a factor. it will make injuries even more important. if you can keep your top 17 on the park every week you won't be relying on players who haven't seen any footy for months.

the x factor? team culture. these are extraordinary times and team resilience will be gold. we have an advantage there.

Comment

The loss of Coops & Latrell are a bigger problem for the Chooks then the Coronavirus.

Comment

I think the reserves not getting a run each week will be bad as well , no match fitness for players coming in for injured players , but all team are in the same boat

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                        The loss of Coops & Latrell are a bigger problem for the Chooks then the Coronavirus.
                        no doubt the loss of those 2 makes it hard for us. I hope you're right that the comp will be completed, no probs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                          I think the new comp makes it is a pretty open comp.
                          Roosters, Melbourne, Canberra, Manly, Parra, Penrith & the Broncos can all win the comp.
                          Fair call but not sold on the Riff.
                          FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                            I think the reserves not getting a run each week will be bad as well , no match fitness for players coming in for injured players , but all team are in the same boat
                            True mate , but that's why I think some coaches will have a rotation system through at least their top 21 players. But it's likely injuries will force that to happen anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

True mate , but that's why I think some coaches will have a rotation system through at least their top 21 players. But it's likely injuries will force that to happen anyway.
                              Not sure what year , maybe 2018 we used 25 or so players in first grade , Robbos riotation and resting will come into play this year ,

Comment

Working...
                              X