Announcement

Collapse

Browse Ad-Free in Season 2020!

Support TheChookpen with a Premium Subscription and browse the forum AD-FREE. Click this link to purchase a subscription for the 2020 season! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Should Luke Keary wear headgear this season?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should Luke Keary wear headgear this season?

    Whilst there are only a few players in the NRL who have in the past and a few currently have worn headgear I don't recall any having had any head injuries. Would it be safer for Luke to start protecting his head. I imagine that players who wear the headgear probably started when in the juniors and I'm not sure what effect it has on the player's vision and perception of the game.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ithepact View Post
    Whilst there are only a few players in the NRL who have in the past and a few currently have worn headgear I don't recall any having had any head injuries. Would it be safer for Luke to start protecting his head. I imagine that players who wear the headgear probably started when in the juniors and I'm not sure what effect it has on the player's vision and perception of the game.
    Its proven it doesnt help with concussion, thats why not many wear it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ithepact View Post
      Whilst there are only a few players in the NRL who have in the past and a few currently have worn headgear I don't recall any having had any head injuries. Would it be safer for Luke to start protecting his head. I imagine that players who wear the headgear probably started when in the juniors and I'm not sure what effect it has on the player's vision and perception of the game.
      Why don’t you write him a letter and tell him to. Despite the fact that it won’t help him avoid concussion. Do you think a motor bike helmet stops you from getting head injuries too?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

        Its proven it doesnt help with concussion, thats why not many wear it.
        Yeah I think that and the slight loss of visibility could make your likelihood of getting a knock a bit higher. I'm 100% for his welfare but I'm guessing he's got the best advice on all this.

        As for the sarcastic helmet remark...

        > The lack of effectiveness of helmets in collision sport is highlighted well by the high rates of concussion in American football, where everyone is required to wear a helmet. Despite this the rates of concussion remain very high.

        ...

        > Helmets do have a role in sport - just not in preventing concussion. In rugby (and other collision sports) headgear has been clearly shown to reduce the risk of lacerations, cauliflower ears and other soft tissue injuries. In cycling, and in other sports where a helmet is worn, it’s use has also been shown to be beneficial in reducing the risk of skull and facial fractures.

        https://www.axissportsmedicine.co.nz...t-concussions/
        Last edited by ism22; 02-14-2020, 08:01 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Nah they just need to make the grounds softer.
          Originally posted by Chook;n805564
          Why the fark anyone takes any notice of modern media is beyond me. It's all click bait populist crap aimed at the lowest common denominator.

          Chook.

          Comment


          • #6
            An interview with Keary in the Tele says he’s fully recovered and has made adjustments to his tackling style to avoid concussions as much as possible, and reckons the 8 week rest helped him reset his system and is all clear to go.

            Comment


            • #7
              I’m a fan of the headgear but imagine like my son would need to start young to be fully comfortable wearing it in games

              by the same measure I never batted in a helmet in a match and hated wearing them in the nets cause I did not grow up wearing them
              Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't think it is a bad idea for Luke to go the headgear . Yes the 'science' is out on its efficacy . Didn't affect Jonathan Thurstons peripheral vision . It's his call obviously .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Crab View Post
                  I don't think it is a bad idea for Luke to go the headgear . Yes the 'science' is out on its efficacy . Didn't affect Jonathan Thurstons peripheral vision . It's his call obviously .
                  How do you know? Maybe JT would have been even better without the headgear.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Axe View Post
                    I’m a fan of the headgear but imagine like my son would need to start young to be fully comfortable wearing it in games

                    by the same measure I never batted in a helmet in a match and hated wearing them in the nets cause I did not grow up wearing them
                    I would recommend kids wear headgear, not so much to stop concussions, but to build confidence in their tackling technique. The earlier they get this right the less likely they will have problems as they get older.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Peter Fitzsimmons has lashed out at Keary: https://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/f...-grip/3945389/
                      https://www.roosters.com.au/news/202...hallenge-2003/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wasn’t Fitzsimmons journo mate a pedo that committed suicide. Wasn’t very vocal about that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fitzsimmons telling someone else to "get a grip".

                          It's a funny 'ole world.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Sack View Post
                            Wasn’t Fitzsimmons journo mate a pedo that committed suicide. Wasn’t very vocal about that.
                            Yep with the no throttle mouth Fitzy has I suspect he's had to many head knocks ,

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Should Luke Keary wear headgear this season?

                              #####

                              YES!

                              Thurston did after he had problems.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X