No announcement yet.

Nat Butcher signs contract extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very happy with this resigning, love Butch.

Going forward I do struggle to see where he fits into our team however, most players want to be starting by his age.

Cordner and Crichton have the 2nd row spots sewn up for years, Radley the 13 all 3 should be playing 80.

That only really leaves Interchange Rotational Prop.

Same situation with tupouniua who I also hope we keep.

Comment

A of course a big thank you to South Sydney for his service.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster90 View Post

Going forward I do struggle to see where he fits into our team however, most players want to be starting by his age.

Cordner and Crichton have the 2nd row spots sewn up for years, Radley the 13 all 3 should be playing 80.

I think Tupouniua has to be in our 17 somehwere this season with the make up of our team. I think he can bring some points running a bit wider and will def trouble the defense...not sure who to leave out though

Comment

He has snuck up on me the ol Nat butcher. Im really warming to him & Im glad he is with the Roosters. Just like Radley he puts his head where others wouldnt, he is the guy that puts in the last ditch effort to stop the try, he is the guy who takes the 1st hit up of your line knowing you are going to get hammered. He's not a dirty player he is just a real footballer a real team player. Thats why Robbo has him & his brother at the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster90 View Post

You never know whats around the corner with injuries to other players.
            He would be slightly taller & bigger than Moa I think so it wouldnt surprise me if Robbo picked in the FR if something happens to JWH or SST & if he excelled he would hold the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

I think Tupouniua has to be in our 17 somehwere this season with the make up of our team. I think he can bring some points running a bit wider and will def trouble the defense...not sure who to leave out though
              Question... would he be good at left centre?

Just saying because he's a relatively lean forward with decent speed and ball skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Just saying because he's a relatively lean forward with decent speed and ball skills.
                Its already been suggested & who knows how he would go there if he was picked there.

Comment

Great to see we are spending our cap money wisely.
                  And keeping those individuals who actually want to be part of the Easts family, unlike someone who shall remain nameless.

And apparently his younger brother Egan had more raps on him than Nat in the juniors, so the future is looking good with both the Butcher bros.

...... And thats why we are the best run club in the NRL.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Who knows. If he hasn't played centre at all growing up defense would be his biggest issue. Not so much tackling itself obviously, more so reading the attack with block plays etc and picking who to take

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

You never know whats around the corner with injuries to other players.
                      He would be slightly taller & bigger than Moa I think so it wouldnt surprise me if Robbo picked in the FR if something happens to JWH or SST & if he excelled he would hold the position.
                      Moa - and the likes of Matt Scott & Sam Thiaday to name a couple more - are a great case in point that you don't necessaily have to be 'big/tall' to be a successful prop. A good centre of gravity when hitting the line is a much underrated trait. Tallness in the role certainly isnt everything - Napa is a prime example.

Butcher has played at lock for most of his career so he def wont be out of place right in the centre of the pack.

It's very likely he'll be an interchange prop and I can see him doing really well around tired opposition as he has pretty good footwork. No doubt Robbo will still ask him to throw a few more pounds on, and he is likely still filling out too.

Comment

Originally posted by crikey chris View Post
                        Great to see we are spending our cap money wisely.
                        And keeping those individuals who actually want to be part of the Easts family, unlike someone who shall remain nameless.

And apparently his younger brother Egan had more raps on him than Nat in the juniors, so the future is looking good with both the Butcher bros.

...... And thats why we are the best run club in the NRL.
                        Yep agreed 100%.

IMO Butcher is a great example of our ability to identify gun juniors, sign 'em, turn 'em into gun NRL players and then make all the other clubs jelly about us 'stealing' players (while they seem to be the ones who focus on trying to convince our established players to break their contracts).

Comment

I too am very happy with the contract extension. I echo virtually all the sentiments expressed already.

Of particular note for me is his demeanour, attitude and approach towards the media. He is articulate and measured, and a great fit for our club and its culture. Definitely an astute re-signing.
                          MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                          is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                          with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                          much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Good resigning, I think with a few more pre seasons he will be a Gallen like player. He is a real footy player, tough and skilful. That tackle in the GF was a cracking try saver. Great news.

Comment

Just on the “Butcher is short” thing, when I met SST at Big W Miranda 6 months ago I was surprised at how “short” he was. Would have been 5’11” max and by no means a hulk.
                              Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Just looked it up. Both Butcher and SST are 1.84m, which is just about 6’ in the old money.
                                Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Working...
                                X