Jake Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Friend

Sydney Roosters co-captain Jake Friend is keen to extend his deal with the club.

The 29-year old is coming off an injury plagued season but is in talks with the club for an extension beyond next season.

Friend is confident he still some good footy ahead of him.

“Obviously I’d love to get another year or two on the back-end of next [season], but we’ll see what happens,” Friend told The Sydney Morning Herald on Monday.

The veteran hooker believes his body is back to full strength as he embarks on his 13th pre-season with the Tricolours to try and help deliver a third-straight premiership.

“Obviously [it was] tough watching last year. But definitely, for the rest of my body, the injury seems to be really good,” Friend said.

“All the scans are positive. So going into next year, that [arm] should be all fine and the rest of me has had a pretty good rest. I feel fresh and never been [more] excited to get back into training after not having as much footy during the year.”

Friend added that he reached out to Latrell Mitchell who returned for pre-season last week but won’t join rejoin the squad until the new year.

“He seemed fine to me. He’s enjoying time with his family and I think that’s great for him. He needs that after a big season,” Friend said. “He’s got a decision to make and that’ll be done over the Christmas break, I’d say.

A fit and healthy Jake should have a massive year for us, a gun spine player with a big motor

Comment

We've got some juggling to do with him and Verrills. Jake isn't yet 30 and could easily be playing for another four seasons.

As tough a season as he had last year, I'm not sure we win the GF if he doesn't play. Sammy was great in the first half and scored a great try, but Jake came on when we were under the pump and helped steer us home.

Interesting to see how long the club extends Jake's contract. Jake will be first choice hooker for at least the next season and it will be interesting to see how Robbo uses Sammy.

Comment

Hmmm, what to do?
        Wait and see how his arm holds up and re-sign him in Oct 2020? or sign him now as a reward for services rendered.

I'd sign him now...these contract games must cease.
        And, we need his experience.

Sam started in the GF and basically 'won' the game for us with his early try.
        Sam starts, Jake on the bench?
        Or do we keep Sam away from the 'rough stuff'' first 20 mins?

I reckon we're an enforcer forward short...so we definitely need Jake's defence.
        Last edited by bondi.boy; 12-18-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Yep, Friend 's defence was under rated in the GF. He played big part in our win.

Comment

Tough decision coming up.

Comment

Obviously.. footy players and that bloody word.

If it were obvious, why bother asking the question ?
              ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                Hmmm, what to do?
                Wait and see how his arm holds up and re-sign him in Oct 2020? or sign him now as a reward for services rendered.

I'd sign him now...these contract games must cease.
                And, we need his experience.

Sam started in the GF and basically 'won' the game for us with his early try.
                Sam starts, Jake on the bench?
                Or do we keep Sam away from the 'rough stuff'' first 20 mins?

I reckon we're an enforcer forward short...so we definitely need Jake's defence.
                JWH, Siua and Collins not enough? How many more do we need?

Comment

Jake came straight on after Cronk was sin binned to provide leadership - his value to the team is immense.
                  I say give him a 2 year extension as he has earned it.

Comment

No way will Jake not be given an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

JWH, Siua and Collins not enough? How many more do we need?
                      Not enough for me.
                      SST and JWH go off for a rest, that's when the rouble [with defence] starts.
                      We had Tetevano, but's here's no longer here.
                      Butcher is his replacement?
                      We need one to negate Latrell's attack...bash, smash and trash him every time he gets the ball [legally of course.]
                      Latrell rag dolls our players, he must be rag dolled right back.
                      Bashing him [legally of course] is the only way to stop him.
                      Last edited by bondi.boy; 12-18-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Tough choice but Verrills is the future.

Comment

Last year or two for Jake.

Comment

I am probably inclined to offer him two years at most (as hard as it is). It is a fine, delicate balance between loyalty and reward, and recognising the future and not letting a potentially great player for us go prematurely. I don't envy the club in deciding this one! In the meantime, we need to ensure that Sam is continuing to develop and doesn't run the risk of getting impatient, prompting him to look elsewhere. He is potentially too important and valuable to us to let that happen. Perhaps focusing on his utility value, as part of the transition, could be an option in the short term while Jake is still around.
                            MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                            is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                            with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                            much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Sam may be our next auto until Jake retires

Comment

Working...
                              X