Lock down Verrills quick..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock down Verrills quick..

Gee I hope we have locked down Sam Verrills. There was talk pre GF that we will look to upgrade from a development contract to a full time role but nothing has been announced.

With news that Fainu from Manly has been stood down on serious charges, you would imagine Manly will look to get a hooker given they released Koroisau and now have no player who has even played dummy half. And with Sam being a Manly junior and GF try scorer, he would be a massive target.
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

I hope Sam can be patient. If he is he will be our dummy half for at least 10 years and could well play 300 games if he stays fit. So many players take contracts that seem better in the short-term but actually lead nowhere. His chances of a long and successful career with Easts are massive.

Comment

We are going to have to be very careful here. It is a balancing act, that's for sure. Do we let Jake, a great servant of our club, go, so that we can sure up Sam and look to the future, or do we retain Jake at the risk of losing him. Patience and external guidance will certainly come into it. Obviously, the decision around Latrell will play a part as well. It is a difficult one, but I agree it complicates things given what's happening at Manly. The timing and extent of the circumstances is most unfortunate, to put it mildly.
      MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
      is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
      with that attitude. I can assure you it is
      much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

I was thinking this might be the trickiest of the lot.
        Jake is still only 29 - he could potentially play another 4-5 years.
        Would Verills be willing to wait that long? Tough one...

Comment

Found this article about him.
          Mark O'Meley reveals how Sam Verrills' attitude and intelligence got him a premiership ring after just 14 NRL games.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
            Gee I hope we have locked down Sam Verrills. There was talk pre GF that we will look to upgrade from a development contract to a full time role but nothing has been announced.

With news that Fainu from Manly has been stood down on serious charges, you would imagine Manly will look to get a hooker given they released Koroisau and now have no player who has even played dummy half. And with Sam being a Manly junior and GF try scorer, he would be a massive target.
            Don't worry, Des will sign Lichaa again.

Comment

Firstly Manly’s attention is on the turbo brothers, they would be absolutely mad not to be locking them down first, secondly Fainu’s contract money is not exempt even if that clown ends up in Gaol, thirdly those idiots are still under a 300k salary cap penalty for rorting put simply they do not have the money to secure Verrils with so much being tied up in DCE and the Turbo’s. Verrils will get an upgrade soon, however not after Lats TKO JWH contracts have been sorted we are Easts we make the tough calls and when need be we succession plan better then anyone don’t forget Cronks money will cover upgrades for 3-4 players.

Comment

What i want to know is, does Verrills have the skillset to play in the halves?

Saves us plenty of headaches if he could make a fist of it, and learn under Keary (who would be the controlling half). Would give us an opportunity to blood Kyle Flanagan slowly, would entice Verrills to stay, and Jake wouldn't have to go anywhere.

He's defintely got the maturity and great instinct for someone his age.

Being overseas however, i missed plenty of his game time this year.

What do we think?

Comment

He had one game at halfback for the Bears. He did quite well but dummy half is definitely his best position.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
                    What i want to know is, does Verrills have the skillset to play in the halves?

Saves us plenty of headaches if he could make a fist of it, and learn under Keary (who would be the controlling half). Would give us an opportunity to blood Kyle Flanagan slowly, would entice Verrills to stay, and Jake wouldn't have to go anywhere.

He's defintely got the maturity and great instinct for someone his age.

Being overseas however, i missed plenty of his game time this year.

What do we think?
                    I had similar thoughts.

Comment

Do a Rabbitohs trick. Sign Verrils to a 3 year contract for what ever he is worth. Extend jakes contract for 5 years and back end it. Jake will get injured sometime next year and medically retire him. Everyone’s happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahrain Rooster View Post
                        He had one game at halfback for the Bears. He did quite well but dummy half is definitely his best position.
                        This. Could be used as a backup if injuries strike however.

Comment

Anyone know what his contract situation is? Maybe he's already signed with us for next year.

I'd wondered about him in the halves. What sort of a kicking game does he have? Mind you, with Jake, Latrell and Keary we're not short of options. He's probably closer to being a half back than Cronk was at his age.

With the limited interchange it's not easy to carry two hookers. You might think of playing Jake as a middle forward, but with Victor and Butch already there, another smaller guy probably wouldn't work (even if Jake was happy play there).

For mine, Jake is still number one - Sam's great at defence but misses a few that Jake doesn't. But losing Sam can't be an option.

Comment

Verrills told Sporting News earlier this month: “I’m a Manly junior. I played four years with Manly (lower grades) and the Roosters tabled an offer and so did Manly.

“I weighed up what I wanted to do and who I wanted to learn off and I thought the Roosters were the best fit, so I came over here.

“I was hoping to learn off Robbo (Trent Robinson) and Friendy (Jake Friend) and I got my opportunity and was lucky enough to be put on a fulltime deal.

“I’m here until 2021 and I’d love to spend the rest of my life here.”

The Sea Eagles will be afforded some salary cap relief if Fainu is unavailable in 2020, but will not spend big on a replacement

They have a board meeting on Friday and will discuss the situation and their various options.

Comment

Originally posted by Horry View Post
                              Verrills told Sporting News earlier this month: “I’m a Manly junior. I played four years with Manly (lower grades) and the Roosters tabled an offer and so did Manly.

“I weighed up what I wanted to do and who I wanted to learn off and I thought the Roosters were the best fit, so I came over here.

“I was hoping to learn off Robbo (Trent Robinson) and Friendy (Jake Friend) and I got my opportunity and was lucky enough to be put on a fulltime deal.

“I’m here until 2021 and I’d love to spend the rest of my life here.”

The Sea Eagles will be afforded some salary cap relief if Fainu is unavailable in 2020, but will not spend big on a replacement

They have a board meeting on Friday and will discuss the situation and their various options.
                              Phew

Comment

Working...
                              X