Announcement

Collapse

Premium Subscriptions are now Active

Premium Subscriptions to TheChookpen.com.au can now be purchased and activated by clicking this link here or by clicking your Username at the top right, then User Settings, then Subscriptions. Thanks for your ongoing support leading into 2020! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Who is your biggest unsung hero of 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is your biggest unsung hero of 2019?

Just watched a replay of the GF again. Wow - what heart we've got. Unbelievable.

We're a star team and a team of stars.

But there were a lot of less fancied players who helped us get the premiership.

Matt Ikuvalu had a shocker of a first game and then played great at a time when we needed him to play great.

Sitili really stood up at times.

Nat Butcher showed he belongs at this level.

Robbo says that Isaac Liu isn't sexy but he really stood up in the important games.

Zane Tetevano was desperately unlucky not to play in the last game of the season.

But I'd go for Sam Verills. He was a revelation. Jake Friend only played a handful of games and there'd be a lot of teams who couldn't cope with losing their hooker for so long but Sammy capped a great back end to the season by scoring a try in a GF!

Zane

Comment

Gotta agree Zac. Verrills is something special. To step up into a key role and offer speed of service and solid D from such a young guy is exceptionally rare

im a fan
      Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Not unsung..and we all rate him on here...but Toops still doesnt get the praise he deserves from other sections of the NRL. Outstanding season , a vital cog in the success we have had

Comment

Great post Zac - find someone in the top 20 odd players who didn't bring something special on the premiership journey - line them all up however Daniel Tupou has a special place in my lifelong memories of our club.

Comment

It's gotta be the energiser bunny.
            Great value off the bench, and helped us beat melbourne

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
              Not unsung..and we all rate him on here...but Toops still doesnt get the praise he deserves from other sections of the NRL. Outstanding season , a vital cog in the success we have had
              Like it - he's arguably the best winger in the comp.

Also - what about Robbo? For all his plaudits maybe he's underrated. The guy's won 3 comps in 7 years, including a B2B, but has only won one coach of the year.

Comment

It's Daniel Tupou for mine. Look at the try assist in the Preliminary finals . He is a champion!

Comment

Not really unsung but definitly the hero was Cooper Cronk. Brought to the club as a hired gun & he delivered 2 comps, he was able to bring the discipline, maturatity & knowlege that everyone at the club bought into & take the club to the next level. I think the club is going to take a slight dip next year.
                  Originally posted by Chook;n805564
                  Why the fark anyone takes any notice of modern media is beyond me. It's all click bait populist crap aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Chook.

Comment

2 standouts. Sam Verills and Daniel Topou.

For a young player to debut in Jake Friends spot then play so well for the whole year including the GF was astounding​​​​​.

Topou was consistent every game, probably the best player overall this year. His carry’s were so strong getting us out of trouble and on the front foot.

Comment

Brett Morris in my opinion when he came back from injury his experience proved valuable particularly in the grand final special mentions goes to Verrills,Tupou and Butcher as well all gave great contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by rozza View Post
                        Brett Morris in my opinion when he came back from injury his experience proved valuable particularly in the grand final special mentions goes to Verrills,Tupou and Butcher as well all gave great contributions.
                        Yeh Morris was a standout. Jeez he played well in the GF, as he did all year. What a signing,

Comment

Great thread
                          Isaac Liu for me

Comment

Morris, for both Prelim and GF.

Comment

isaac liu, just quietly goes about his business.

Comment

Working...
                              X