Blame the Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
    Imagine someone asked Thurston just after winning the GF for the Cowboys if he thought the win was a bit hollow as it came from Golden Point and Brisbane never got a true possession to win the game? He would be filthy
    Absolutely. Great player, but shithouse commentator who adds nothing .

He is just there to engage 9s Qld audience.

Comment

Imagine someone asked Thurston just after winning the GF for the Cowboys if he thought the win was a bit hollow as it came from Golden Point and Brisbane never got a true possession to win the game? He would be filthy
      I was at the game and nobody really had a reaction to the 6-again. Even walking back to the car nobody was talking about. The Raiders supporters were all congratulating me. It wasn't until I got home that it was all over Channel 9.

So I doubt even Robbo new how big Channel 9 had made it.

After the presentation and walking around the crowd the last thing Robbo expected was to be questioned about the 6-again after winning a tense GF.

Thurston put Robbo on the spot. So Robbo should have put Thurston on the spot and asked him what really happened in Coffs both times in his own words.

Comment

One of the NRL's biggest problems is putting the wrong people in the commentary box.

Thurston, Lockyer, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns - those guys should not be within 9,000000 miles of a commentary box. They are all hyper-biased whinging mumblers. Lockyer/Johns/Fittler have value as analysts (NOT COMMENTATORS) but the likes of Thurston, Lewis, Sam Thaiday and co should be long long gone. Lewis especially - can anyone explain the value he adds to the coverage? No one has ever been able to articulate it for me. This isn't to knock his on field exploits - which were incredible - but he must be the worst commentator in the history of the planet.

In terms of the core callers, you only need 3. IMO Rabs is done. I'd like to see something like Ginnane, Gould, Sterling in the box. Without Rabs, Fatty and co around, Gould will be pulled into line and get rid of the bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
          One of the NRL's biggest problems is putting the wrong people in the commentary box.

Thurston, Lockyer, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns - those guys should not be within 9,000000 miles of a commentary box. They are all hyper-biased whinging mumblers. Lockyer/Johns/Fittler have value as analysts (NOT COMMENTATORS) but the likes of Thurston, Lewis, Sam Thaiday and co should be long long gone. Lewis especially - can anyone explain the value he adds to the coverage? No one has ever been able to articulate it for me. This isn't to knock his on field exploits - which were incredible - but he must be the worst commentator in the history of the planet.

In terms of the core callers, you only need 3. IMO Rabs is done. I'd like to see something like Ginnane, Gould, Sterling in the box. Without Rabs, Fatty and co around, Gould will be pulled into line and get rid of the bullshit.
          The thing is though we all disagree on who we don't like. I think Andrew Johns is quite good. I always though Peter Sterling was good but he seems to be doing less these days.

I think you have to keep in mind how many of them are there to please the QLD market. Thurston is farking terrible imo but I don't mind Wally.

Comment

I get the feeling Thurstons TV deal was done well before his time was up on the field and now they are stuck with him.
            FVCK CANCER

Comment

An article from a month ago on the Roar.
              Another weekend of finals football, another weekend of broadcasters whinging about refereeing. Compared to previous seasons, 2019 had been one of relative calm when it came to referee bashing and lamenting the demise of ‘rugby league as we know it’. But after Melbourne did over Parramatta 32-0 on Saturday night, Phil Gould once again went […]
              ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

And a similar one from 2015 about Nines cricket coverage
                Channel Nine’s commentary box clique has forgotten that it is the game, not their chummy anecdotes, that should define cricket’s narrative
                ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

And a similar one from 2015 about Nines cricket coverage
                  I know most of the old cricket commentators I grew up with are either dead or retired but whoever thought Michael Slater would make a good commentator has issues of a mental nature. Kerry Packer would be turning in his grave with the state of sport on his channel.

Comment

A lot of people bagging Andrew Johns,

From the limited times i've heard it, i don't mind his commentary.

As for Matty Johns, Lockyer, Tallis, Thurston, Roach, Hodges, Ennis, Buderus etc...they are the reason I don't watch much footy apart from Roosters games.
                    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

On 954 Thursday morning Sowie asked Spud Carroll's thoughts on the Gf...here we go I thought, so imagine my suprise when he's gave Easts a glowing wrap especially Robbo, said they need to be congratulated for a massive achievement. Also said the 6 again call had no bearing whatsoever on the outcome, pointing to the 25 mins of defence prior to the call, and also last week's effort against melb. Loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by easts4eva View Post
                        On 954 Thursday morning Sowie asked Spud Carroll's thoughts on the Gf...here we go I thought, so imagine my suprise when he's gave Easts a glowing wrap especially Robbo, said they need to be congratulated for a massive achievement. Also said the 6 again call had no bearing whatsoever on the outcome, pointing to the 25 mins of defence prior to the call, and also last week's effort against melb. Loved it.
                        Wow. Thanks for sharing that...we need to celebrate sanity when we see it.

Comment

It’s mainly those in the printed media who are OUTRAGED but that’s because they have little opposition to discuss it with logic so they don’t end up looking foolish. Those on TV or radio may say a little bit but they run out of puff trying to defend a wrong call to stand.

Comment

Listening to Riddell and Levy on Macquarie Sports Radio on Monday morning, they both gave a much more balanced view line on the game with Mark Riddell acknowledging the great achievement of the Roosters.

Increasingly for me, I am now stepping away from a lot of the league related programs and the churlish output of the majority of sports writers particularly from the Sydney Moaning Herald.

i used to be a person who consumed over six games a week, plenty of the newspapers writers material and shows analysing the game. These days I watch one game a week - Easts - occasionally another NRL game. Next to no TV content, because of the self indulgent, agenda ridden ex players who are carrying half of the Smith Chips factory on their shoulder.

This is coming from someone who has followed the game for nearly 50 years and goes to the game as part of intergenerational crew and mates of my generation who are tiring of sycophants and hanger ons who are trashing the game and supporters enjoyment of the game.

Comment

Blame the MEDIA. Great title.

Ownership and sponsors have to play a part in blame the media. News LTD has a lot to do with this disdain towards the roosters. The hatred goes back to the Super-league wars of 1997. News LTD verse Packer.The drongos (NEWS LTD team) verse Sydney City Roosters (ARL Voice) .They merged back together and formed the NRL in 1998.
                              Drongos won the first NRL title. Drongos which were News ltd flagship team and the introduction of the Melbourne Storm the other owned News Ltd team. Rupert Murdock the owner of News Ltd and other affiliations involved with this game will continually be in control of their assets by means of promoting what is good for them.
                              When the super league wars were on all that was seen in QLD was super-league and the drongos. Im sure in Nsw it was the opposite in ARL games only. Murdock and News Ltd own the game whether we like it or not.
                              He sold off Melbourne in 2013 after they were stripped of their two grand finals and three minor premierships.
                              2012 News Ltd relinquished the rights to the NRL and gave ownership to the Australian Rugby League Commission. Part of the deal included that the Drongos were to have a dispensation of the salary cap of $800 thousand dollars. Melbourne also gained from this but i cant find the figure. (Canberra Titans, Nth QLD didnt get any such benefits). This was to fund the one team one city allowance.
                              So Murdock and News LTD own Fox Sport, Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph. The Sunday Telegraph usually puts an a5 poster in the middle of the paper to celebrate the grand final victor. Which after the Roosters back to back victory they chose not to.
                              Murdock also had large shares in Fairfax. Fairfax media has a share in Nine Holdings and yes you guessed it, Nine Holdings have the television rights to the Rugby League. Nine Holdings also is a sponsor of the Drongos, (and the Drongos are the only public company in Rugby League) That explains why we get so many Drongos games on thursday and friday nights. The highest viewed days of the NRL.
                              Prior to the the Superleague stuff from 1998 there were heaps of back to back teamsBris of 1992-3, Canb 88-9, Canterbury 84-5, Parras triples in the early eighties. Yet its take 26 years for this to be contested. And the ARL voice team the Roosters win it and its down played. I wonder what it would have been like if the Drongos or storm had played instead of us.

RANT OVER................................ROOSTERS FOR EVER......................

1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Good one Glenn !

Comment

Working...
                                X