No announcement yet.

SKD has left the NRL for Super League.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKD has left the NRL for Super League.

I loved his rocks and diamonds!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall arrived in Australia as a 15-year-old on a way one ticket from New Zealand with barely a dollar to his name. He had quit school with a dream. The try-scoring winger will leave the NRL having achieved more than he could have ever imagined.

His 13-year NRL career will come to an end on Saturday with the 31-year-old signing a multi-year deal to leave Newcastle and play in the Super League.
    “I was a bit emotional this week when I found out this was going to be my last year,” Kenny-Dowall said. “I’ve been reflecting a lot. It’s been an unbelievable journey. No-one would’ve thought I would’ve played in this game for so long.

“I knew from a kid I wanted to play in the NRL and play for my country. I would’ve been happy to play just one season.”

Kenny-Dowall left his native New Zealand after being told by the Warriors he wouldn’t be an NRL player. He arrived in Sydney with his dad with the pair living in a backpackers lodge for three months. Kenny-Dowall played for Clovelly Crocodiles before being scouted by the Roosters.

“It was a big risk to pack up my whole home, my family and leave school,” Kenny-Dowall said. “I believed I was good enough to play NRL. If you want something I was always told you work hard. It was never given to me.
    He left the Roosters midway through 2017 with his off-field life in turmoil.

“It was difficult at the time but getting out of the Sydney bubble and changing my environment was the best thing to happen to me,” Kenny-Dowall said. “Newcastle were good to me at a critical time in my life. It’s given me the time to look back, reflect and grow into a better person, leader and player.

“I’m grateful to the Knights for allowing me to get my life and my career on track.”

A knee injury has ruled Kenny-Dowall out of one final appearance for the Knights against Penrith tomorrow.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Complete seasons of acclaimed comedy series available to stream On Demand. Get Foxtel

“I’ve outdone my own dreams.”

Kenny-Dowall never looked back after making his NRL debut for the Roosters in 2007. He represented the Kiwis in that same season going on to play 21 games for New Zealand.

He was part of the Roosters 2013 premiership win playing the bulk of the decider with a broken jaw and his tally of 121-tries has him second only to Anthony Minichiello for the foundation club.

Comment

One of the most frustrating players to watch at times. Hope he goes well in the Superleague.

Comment

He's praising the Knights in his press release, but he's a Rooster.

Playing the 2013 GF with a broken jaw hasn't got the praise that it deserves.

Good luck Skids ...

Comment

He gave great service to the Roosters and was screwed over by a miserable witch and a dickhead of the highest order.
          Also one of the nice guys too, I wish him all the best
          The Internet is a place for posting silly things
          Try and be serious and you will look stupid
          sigpic

Comment

Good luck SKD. Will always be remembered for his 2013 GF efforts.

Comment

2010 Tigers semi extra time intercept....

Comment

a true Roosters legend.

Comment

Odd that after losing Ramien that SKD was not held by the Knights

Wondering maybe he was told that he was not in O'Brian's plans for next year.

Did working at the Roosters shed light on something about SKD for O'Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post
                    Odd that after losing Ramien that SKD was not held by the Knights

Wondering maybe he was told that he was not in O'Brian's plans for next year.

Did working at the Roosters shed light on something about SKD for O'Brian?
                    I thinks it's probably the fact that he'll be 32 at the start of next season and the super league deal will be longer and pay more.

Comment

Always a Chook. Scored two of the most memorable tries in the modern era. Good luck to him. Will be a star in their reserve grade standard competition.

Comment

On a side note Andrew Walker will play his last game of footy today.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/retiring...e-him-stronger

Comment

Working...
                        X