Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the greatest club backline in 35 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the greatest club backline in 35 years?

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Is this the greatest club backline in 35 years? Could they possibly rival the wonderfully gifted Parramatta backline of the early 1980s?

That was a question being asked around the grand old SCG after the Sydney Roosters bamboozled New Zealand Warriors by 42-6. It was a win that all but secured the rampaging Roosters a top four finish.

And leading the way was a red hot Roosters backline who posted the opening five tries, seven overall.

This Roosters backline has everything — vision, skill, power, height and speed. They are lethal and chock-full of strike.

Tries went to centre Latrell Mitchell (19th minute), fellow centre Joseph Manu (27), five-eighth Luke Keary (45), fullback James Tedesco (55) winger Brett Morris (58), Mitchell again (68) and then winger Daniel Tupou (78).

The only player who failed to score was their little general, Cooper Cronk.

Has the game seen a more dynamic backline since the Eels offered up Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Steve Ella, Mick Cronin and Eric Grothe in the early to mid-1980s?

Allan Langer, Steve Renouf, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns and Kevin Walters gave Brisbane some powerful backlines during the 1990s but few can match the current day Roosters.

And while the backline was brilliant, the Roosters defence was committed and structured. The Roosters weren’t at full throttle but got the job done efficiently and easily.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

AFL, NRL, Cricket, F1, Supercars, A-League. Have it all. Get Foxtel Sport today

They are heading head first toward back to back titles.

Tedesco scored an embarrassingly easy try when he ran through the middle of Warriors ruck from a penalty tap restart to score. It was under 8s stuff.

LATRELL’S LAST LAUGH

He was rattled after being racially vilified last week but Latrell Mitchell laughed last.

Mitchell maintained his dignity throughout the drama and came out to score two tries, set up another and kick five goals.

He is rebuilding his game nicely heading into the finals after the disappointment of being dumped for State of Origin II.

Mitchell will need to be at his damaging and dynamic best for the Roosters to win successive premierships.

His points haul against the Warriors means Mitchell has outscored his opponents by himself in seven consecutive matches at the SCG: 128-60.

BEALE’S PAIN

Warriors centre Gerard Beale was taken from the field on a Medicab with a patella tendon injury, just below the kneecap. The game was held up for five minutes while New Zealand’ medical staff worked to calm Beale.

Beale will require surgery with his recovery being anywhere from six months to a year.

He was hurt in a legal three-man gang tackle. It is unlikely Beale would play again this season. He was replaced by Kodi Nikorima.

The Warriors’ pain increased midway through the second half when hooker Jazz Tevaga was sin-binned for a late shoulder charge on Roosters halfback Cooper Cronk.

LOST FANS

The Warriors were never going to draw a crowd but having 38,000 empty seats was a poor look for rugby league. Surely these games could be taken the country.

The Daily Telegraph counted no more than 250 people in the Brewongle Stand concourse, a meagre amount given it was a lovely, warm Sunday afternoon game in Sydney.

Playing at the SCG is temporary — and the game may not have attracted anymore at the old Allianz Stadium — but having such a star-studded, elite football team playing in front of so few fans was poor.

The Roosters tried hard to build atmosphere — but it was difficult. A ground announcer yelling “Make some noise” pre-game was almost laughable. One fan contacted The Daily Telegraph to claim his general admission family ticket cost $103. An official crowd of 12,227 was posted.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 42 (L Mitchell 2 M Aubusson L Keary J Manu B Morris J Tedesco D Tupou tries L Mitchell 5 goals) bt NZ WARRIORS 6 (R Tuivasa-Sheck try C Harris- Tavita goal) at Sydney Cricket Ground. Referee: Matt Cecchin, David Munro. Crowd: 12,227

Great back line.

Bit of a dig at our supporters.

I live in Newcastle now so don't get to many games. The Roosters have a huge supporter base but we can afford Foxtel so just watch from the comfort of our couch

Why do they have to have a dig about the crowd? People love to put a negative spun on things even when an event is soaked in positivity.

Our crowds are better than most I think. And yes our backline is in the elite status now.

Comment

If you look at the average crowds for the Sydney clubs over the past 60 or 70 years, they have barely changed. They all average between 11k and 14k. All of them.

It has never changed much and never will.

Comment

Last year's backline with Fergo was better.

Teddy
        Toops
        Latrell
        Manu
        Fergo
        Keary
        Cronk

is certainly the best I've seen in my 20 years following the game.

Comment

Easts v Parra

Fullback: Teddy >>>> Paul Taylor
          Winger: Toops>Liddiard/Atkins
          Centre: Manu < Ella
          Centre: Latrell < Cronin - potential wise, Latrell may have it though
          Winger: Fergo/Morris < Grothe
          Five eight: Keary << Kenny
          Half: Cronk = Sterlo

Kenny is the second best 5/8 I've ever seen, and that includes Lockyer, Thurston, Freddy, Daley, Lyons, Lamb

Parra have it imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
            Easts v Parra

Kenny is the second best 5/8 I've ever seen, and that includes Lockyer, Thurston, Freddy, Daley, Lyons, Lamb

Parra have it imo.
            Best 5/8 ever had to be Bozo. Haven’t seen better in 46 years following the game.

Comment

I don't know about those Parra dudes but these weren't too bad:
              Fairfax/Schubert
              Pickett
              Brass
              Harris
              Mullins
              Peard
              Mayes..

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

Teddy
                Toops
                Latrell
                Manu
                Fergo
                Keary
                Cronk

Agreed, last years was better. Fergo was a monster.

Although in 2015, this one was pretty handy.

1. RTS
                2. Toops
                3. Jenko
                4. SKD
                5. Fergo

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post

Best 5/8 ever had to be Bozo. Haven’t seen better in 46 years following the game.
                  Bozo Fulton was just so skillful and classy but id rate him just behind Wally Lewis- whom i rate the greatest player to ever step foot on a rugby league field. His dominance in the rep arena (especially State of Origin) will never be matched. His nickname of "The King" is deserved

Comment

Teddy
                    Toops
                    Latrell
                    Manu
                    Fergo
                    Keary
                    Cronk

Personell-wise, yes. But Tedesco is even better now; arguably Mitchell, too. Our attack never really came together last year, except in patches. This year it hums.

i'll go with this year's backline.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post

Personell-wise, yes. But Tedesco is even better now; arguably Mitchell, too. Our attack never really came together last year, except in patches. This year it hums.

i'll go with this year's backline.
                      And to think that you have Ryan Hall on standby ...

Comment

Teddy
                        Toops
                        Latrell
                        Manu
                        Fergo
                        Keary
                        Cronk

Better on paper but not playing better. We can thank Adam O’Brien.

This is is the best roosters side I have seen. Will be a travesty if they don’t win the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
                          Easts v Parra

Parra have it imo.
                          Fair enough. Off topic but then go to the forwards. We murder them.

Comment

12 thousand at our game and 13 thousand at lol@souffs game v dullbogs. Two sydney teams playing at home. comparable stat where is Seibold.
                            1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

News Ltd are gunning for Easts to relocate.

The stadium debacle couldn’t have come at a worse time.

Comment

Working...
                              X