One on one stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

If ball stripping becomes more common then coaches will coach their players anti stripping techniques.
    One such technique is having all your boys hanging off... then when Hodgson says 'ALL OUT BOYS I AM DOING THE STRIP!!!' being like 'ALL IN JWH, SST AND CORDS... WE ARE DRIVING THIS 80KG WIMP 50M DOWN THE FIELD!!!!'

As much as I hate the 'rule' (and fail to see why it isn't a penalty for a hand on the ball), you open yourself up to such exploitation. I suspect Robbo has a few tricks like that up his sleeve... for usage in the 2nd half of a preliminary final or grand final against Canberra/Melbourne.

Most other teams are smart enough to realise it's a short-term hack that you can't plan your whole season around. It's just those 2 teams, we know they do it and we can mess them up with counter tactics when it matters if they persist. IMO it's something they've left themselves open to as they've been doing it all season.

What they SHOULD have done (and I'm guessing what Robbo was planning) is pull this trick when scores are level during a GF or something. It's not difficult or a 'skill' to put your hand on the ball, single out a smaller player and then get a few people to fall out, enabling a strip. I suspect this is why Robbo's applauding Canberra for being the masters of it. He knows it's pretty easy to do... but doesn't want teams to get used to us doing it on every tackle.
    Last edited by ism22; 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post

A couple have been while the player has been on the ground, i assume the player is not touched and only the ball.
      Others have been stripped when falling to the ground during the tackle,
      It seems to be allowed until the ref says "held" in many cases
      I may be wrong but Im sure it was one on one and on the ground.
      FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
        NRL need to go back to the original intent of the rule. That is, when an attacker breaks free from a tackle then treat it like he was never tackled in the first place. This is very different to defenders intentionally dropping off the tackle.

In the meantime, Robbo should wake up and take advantage. We have struggled against teams with an offload. Train our boys to target offloaders the same way the opposition have been targeting our offloaders.
        Dice you are 100% correct. The NRL's initial intent was great but some coaches have exploited the rule and now it is a shambles.
        You should only be able to strip the ball if all the players have come off the tackler (IE a clean break) then a tackler should be able to strip the ball (one on one)

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

I think you are correct, sorry that is what I meant too.

Comment

I hate it.... its just stupid, goes completely against the grain of the game. Can't stand it.

Comment

It appears Craig Wing is against it too

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/13/...tripping-rule/

Comment

I hate it. JWH was stripped on Sunday and the ref missed there were two in the tackle at the time. Recent rule changes like the seven tackles from a 22 metre line tap are random and ridiculous. Two refs just leads to over-refereeing and refs getting in the way of players. While we're at it, bring the scrums back to ten metres in, then you can have an ACTUAL backline!

Comment

Want my opinion on the stripping rule? No...oh well here it is anyway.

No bloody stripping the ball at all!!! Straight out penalty.

I think everyone except Paul Kent thinks the current garbage rule at least has to change.

Comment

I only agree with one on one strips...not this new shit ..llus a lapdancing
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Refs can't get the basics right. This just puts them under more pressure.

Comment

It's a shambles. Keary was penalised for a legitimate 1 on 1 strip early in the game on Sunday (which led to one of Canberra's tries I think). Yet later in the game when Croker stripped Manu it was a knock on and a scrum against us.

And those ones were actually different to the 3 on 1 strips. There is just way too much room for interpretation as to what's going on in a tackle these days and in my view it's really spoiling the game - along with all the other things spoiling the game.

The game of rugby league is not what it used to be.

Comment

I thought the strip had to happen while players were still standing. I’m certain we were stripped in the first half while on the ground.

Can it be done while on the ground now?
                          Yeah Manu got stripped on the ground by Croker and a minute later Manu inflicted some justice on Croker so all good!

Comment

I agree with Robbo that you can't have 3-4 players ganging up on a player with the ball and while they're tugging and pulling the attacking player, another gets a hold of the ball and the original player now is easy pickings and loses the ball. Unfortunately it looks like the rule will stay as is for this year and Robbo has to either keep going the way we are doing or get the players to do the same as the others and he will have egg on his face...

Comment

Robbo said that one on Manu was a bad call along those grounds. I didn't see it...

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                              Refs can't get the basics right. This just puts them under more pressure.
                              Trying to see things through their eyes, IMO they are scared they'll be sacked or brought into disrepute for being inconsistent with the rules of the game if they are not facilitating the new interpretation. To make matters worse, only top-4 teams are doing it and they've built their success on the back of 'good execution' so it's too late to police it.

Problem is... as you say... they seem to be focussing on facilitating this hack of a technique rather than policing the other rules (which haven't changed). Unfortunately they've allowed it all season so consistency would say they have to ignore (for example) circumstances where there's a hand on the ball while multiple players are in the tackle or it's a strip after the completion of the tackle. Both are penalties that would result in a free kick.

IMO the most irritating part is that no rule change is needed in order to wipe out this tactic. I mean who wants to be the guy to bundle Cam Smith (who mark my word invented this tactic) out of a preliminary final in his last season by forcing him to change his tactics mid-game when he's been using them all season. I suspect that person would get a stiff talking to from Greenturd and would likely be informed that their career as a ref is pretty much over.

It's almost as if this was a strategic call cooked up by game management and Storm management. I know it isn't but it's just such a dodgy piece of work...
                              Last edited by ism22; 08-13-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post

Agree, however I think it should become a instant clear strip of the ball, and not a tug of war between two players.
                                Sometimes we see two players on the ground both claiming they have control of the ball, and in this case in my opinion, it should stay with the attacking team
                                The "only" issue there is Sezer did lose the ball to Keary via a chargedown and yet somehow claimed to have stripped the ball back off Keary in a 1 v 1 , which anyone with a pair of eyes besides ref and bunker saw wasn't the case

Comment

Working...
                                X