Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That forward pass...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That forward pass...

    It was great to have Jake back , the 40:20 etc , all great stuff.

    Then that forward pass... it was so crucial.
    2 days later and I'm still recovering ,it's not like it has never happened before , how hard is it to time your run.
    If the game managers want to turn the game , they can find Jake throwing a forward pass when he starts to fatigue , it's in the refs play book , "look for Friend forward pass late in half"
    So frustrating to watch ... sorry I had to vent !

  • #2
    I think we throw more forward passes from DH than anyone in the comp.

    I have no idea why.

    It's such a fundamental part of the game and it cost us 2pts on Sunday.

    Very infuriating indeed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Jakes 40/20 then try were all class then the lazy forward passes started to creep back in his game, the one he was pulled up on wasn't the only one he did during the match, was just lucky he didn't get pinged a couple of other times. The field goal a thon was the one that did my head in, before all the crap attempts there was about 8 mins left on the clock, Cronk had a clear shot at field goal and no Cowboys players would have clicked that he could have gone for it, instead he puts up a chip bomb to the corner which Tupou had no chance of getting to and the Cowboys took the ball on the full no problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        There were a number of crucial errors in that last 10 minutes, this was just one of plenty that if we could go back and nail we probably would have won. I can forgive Jake Friend because he almost single handedly dragged us back into that contest.

        Missing simple field goals and giving them 7 tackle sets is almost as damaging. Our set up for the first was extremely concerning we looked like a really inexperienced team who hadn't been in that type of situation before.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
          Jakes 40/20 then try were all class then the lazy forward passes started to creep back in his game, the one he was pulled up on wasn't the only one he did during the match, was just lucky he didn't get pinged a couple of other times. The field goal a thon was the one that did my head in, before all the crap attempts there was about 8 mins left on the clock, Cronk had a clear shot at field goal and no Cowboys players would have clicked that he could have gone for it, instead he puts up a chip bomb to the corner which Tupou had no chance of getting to and the Cowboys took the ball on the full no problems.
          Lazy is such an overused word and I think it's a poor reflection on Jake. The bloke is far from lazy, no one works harder in our team than him.

          Fatigued? Yeh most likely, he was 50 minutes into his first game in months had already racked up over 40 tackles and dragged us back into the game with his 40/20 and try.

          Comment


          • #6
            I donít blame Friend as heís rusty first game back. But the situation was we fielded a below par team with the best players in the world having been given a day off. These risky days off are gambling with our top 4 spot unnecessarily. Very unwise. Storm resting players 8 points clear sounds like a much better thought out policy than ours.
            Close your eyes to racial differences and welcome all with the light of oneness." - (Baha’u’llah)

            Comment


            • #7
              Itís rally harsh getting on here and bagging Jake Friend.

              Jake Friend and ďlazyĒ should never be used in the same paragraph.

              Comment


              • #8
                it is first game back ffs ! give him until at least next week before we start blaming him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Never meant to imply that Jake Friend was lazy, he puts in a 110 % every game , probably should have used a better word but his passing game has always been plagued by him throwing passes that are forward, he threw at least 3 or 4 in the last game, was lucky he only got pinged for one.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No blame on Jake in his first game back....

                    Try telling Radley to time his runs
                    "Qui audet adipiscitur"

                    WHO DARES WINS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Darkone View Post
                      No blame on Jake in his first game back....

                      Try telling Radley to time his runs
                      It's can never be Radley's fault. The decision whether to pass the ball or not rested with Friend and always rests with the passer. If they are not ready for the run than they have other options. The wrong one is always to pass the ball.

                      I think Jake was fatigued but we can't have that happening regularly. It was his first game back and his 40/20 and subsequent try should have given us the game.

                      As it was Butcher was beaten on the inside shoulder twice and our goal line defence was pathetic in the Asiata case. I give Jake Clifford some allowance fro his speed, footwork and vision. Then we couldn't ice the game despite three field goal attempts.

                      Cronk said he would have 120 practise field goal attempts each training session this week. Keary should have the same as his shot was under no pressure at all with plenty of time.

                      But the forward passes, especially out of dummy half have to be eliminated as they just give the ball back to the opposition with six tackles. And it is schoolboy stuff.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's clearly not schoolboy stuff because I watch Cam Smith, the greatest ever dummy half ever to play our game throw at least half a dozen every game.

                        Ball runners play so close to the advantage line in the modern day game you're just flirting with danger and it's impossible not to throw a few. They just never get called so if as a club you're not doing it you're at a disadvantage.

                        The one on the weekend though was just a shocker, clearly fatigued and had run himself into the ground.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Look it is frustrating but nowhere near as frustrating as not being able to set up for a field goal correctly when you allegedly have the best organising half of all time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                            It's clearly not schoolboy stuff because I watch Cam Smith, the greatest ever dummy half ever to play our game throw at least half a dozen every game.

                            Ball runners play so close to the advantage line in the modern day game you're just flirting with danger and it's impossible not to throw a few. They just never get called so if as a club you're not doing it you're at a disadvantage.

                            The one on the weekend though was just a shocker, clearly fatigued and had run himself into the ground.
                            I don't see Smith doing it six times a game. Not saying he doesn't. Just that your eagle eye is sharper than mine there. I 'have seen him do it' though and get pinged in club games. SOO seems to be another cauldron altogether where unforced errors are minimized around such an important role.

                            I totally agree with your point about running close to and right on that advantage line. That's the chief cause and everybody, including the smartest players do it, while we as fans just shake our heads. It's a coach killer, especially early in a tackle count. And we've seem some corkers of forward passes...embarrassingly meters forward some.

                            My point on the childish is that the first rule you learn in the game is only pass the ball to a player in a better position that yourself. It's a rule often broken with hospital passes and forward passes. But like not playing a ball correctly they are actions completely under control of the player alone. Fatigue of course will colour that.

                            I think just about everybody is a fan of Jake's commitment and skills too, as he is rediscovering. Just that he always seems to get pinged on the forward pass and he does seem to throw too many. Granville was guilty of a few too, but his forward momentum acted as a cover. Maybe Smith does the same.





                            .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I honestly thought Friendy was outstanding in only his 4th game of the season, 1 try a 40/20 and made 48 tackles as well as 2 line breaks....Yes he threw a couple of line ball forward passes but jeez his service is a billion times Radley's.... Thank god we have a DH that can actually pass now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X