Roaming centres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming centres

Can we take something from Tommy T's performance at 'centre' last night?

wasn't robbos plan last year in the grand final, if cronk couldnt play to have manu and latrell roaming around. with the potency of our two centres, surely no harm letting them attack where they want

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
      Yes we can, very good point.

Does one of our centres have the work ethic to go hunting for the ball though ??

Comment

Yes, definitely R6. Tommy T was almost playing as a second fullback last night and I think that was a stroke of genius.

Looks like its Joey’s time to shine.

- Cooper Cronk' scapula.

Comment

Tommy T said it wasnt planned .He was bored and went looking for more work.The Kind of hunger Id like to see in players .Makes them speciall BUT its gotta be timed right and he did.
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Whilst I love seeing different attacking strategies I would be surprised if Robbo had our centres roaming too much. He seems to favour the Keary sweeping play and linking with them to the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
              Whilst I love seeing different attacking strategies I would be surprised if Robbo had our centres roaming too much. He seems to favour the Keary sweeping play and linking with them to the outside.
              wouldnt hurt but Robbos coaching can be very regimented .
              Lets them cut loose afew rounds out from the semis.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

I think Joey has the motor to do it after watching his performance last week. He is also starved of the ball on the right.,

If Latrell was to roam very now and then, then he would be unstoppable....

Tommy Turbo was a monster last night and it could be an attacking blueprint for NRL clubs in the future.......
                Originally posted by Bondi Boy

Pathetic!
                What a rabble we are.

Oh well, maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by keggs1 View Post
                  Yes, definitely R6. Tommy T was almost playing as a second fullback last night and I think that was a stroke of genius.
                  I thought we played with 2 fullbacks in defence in the last tackle. Tedesco and Ferguson both dropping right back to return the kicks. Addo-Carr only dropped back 5-10 metres
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

This idea was spoken about by Matty Johns on his podcast, I think defences would s**t themselves if Latrell was playing all around the field

Comment

Why shouldn't they as the probably have the lightest workload these days when it come to offence , with wingers and fullbacks starting most sets. It's a wasted weapon not to use then in this way.
                      Last edited by Bondicigar; 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I think it worked in a tactic where we bullied 2 short backs (Ponga & Gagai) with 2 towering centres. This was all aided by the fact it was bucketing down with rain and they weren't expecting it.

Good tactic? Maybe in the right circumstances. However, by stacking 2 centres on 1 side of the field, you're not leaving much for the opposition's imagination. Hmmm... wonder if Latrell and Manu are gonna try to jump the fullback/centre and score? Mmmkay we'll just put one of our props behind them as backup.

Not saying it's a bad tactic... it worked superbly the other night. However, I reckon there's a reason why you generally ask your centres to attack one side of the field. Besides... Latrell has been known to switch sides anyway (especially when playing 5/8).

IMO we need to cool down a bit. Tommy Trbo had an awesome game and the tactics were great. BUT... he was up against a ~183cm fullback and it was a brand new tactic. They'll shut him down in game 3 for sure (IMO part of the reason he was so good is that QLD had trained to defend the best centre in the game... Latrell... not a winger/fullback playing on the wrong side of the field - SURPRISE!) As I said... you probably wouldn't wanna have Latrell and Manu bunching up on one side of the field because this gives away which side the ball is going to.

Comment

Best thing would be to take TommyT himself.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

Best thing would be to take TommyT himself.
                            haha.. I like it. The tactic worked great but helped because Freddy just moulded the gameplay to Tommy T's strength, which is his usual gameplan. It's much harder to convert a guy who usually plays Centre to change the way they play. In theory it could work with Joey and Latrell, however don't expect the same results as last night, every week.

Comment

I like the idea of roving backs in general. My only concern is the obvious one. Defensive teams will see it coming. Manu would kill it. Especially supporting Teddy just like Turbo did last night.
                              It doesn't necessarily have to be a centre though. I could see someone like Rads doing it as a roving lock

Comment

Working...
                              X