Trentís rotation policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trentís rotation policy

It seems this year Trent has been using his full squad when selecting his 17 each week. Rotating players, minimising the players workload.

It had been going well until last night when he rested Tetevano and Cronk. Their backup was depleted with JWH and Taukeiaho seemingly playing injured and Lam having a broken arm. This was compounded when Keary went down early in the 6th minute.

Our depth is good overall but our top 17 are first class and it is difficult to replace them.

Rotation policies have have been used in other codes to varying degrees of success. However with the brutal nature of leagues collisions it seems a worthy exercise in managing a long season.

So while it hurts to lose so badly against the Knights, it is probably better for the players season long welfare and also to upskill the backup to get closer to top class first grade material.
    Get out of the way, I'm next

Interesting point of view Skeez and if what you propose is what the Roosters are actually doing as part of a season-long plan, then losses like this one are somewhat easier to take. Certainly, the glimpse of the post-game dressing room that I caught while fast forwarding through the channel nein recording showed a JWH that didn't look unhappy. If the players don't care, why should I?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's interesting.

Post match he said if we travel the path that others did then we shouldn't expect a different result.

Clearly talking about going back to back and that he believes the biggest struggle is keeping the players fresh and peaking at the right point of the season.

2014 was a nightmare of a year following the world cup in 2013 where we had something ridiculous like 19 players involved, more than any other club. Most returned to pre-season in January, I'm sure he took a lot of lessons from that year.

End of the day the success of a rotation policy will be judged at the end of the season.

Comment

Really worthwhile watching Robbo's press conference for those who haven't seen it yet. Will provide some context to this thread.

Comment

Yes his press conference explains it well, however it does show the importance of cronk to the side. next year post cronk era is going to bring us consistently back to the other teams. Trent's rotation policy doesn't excuse the drop in form of Latrell, 2 touches for 2 dropped balls, the brain explosions of JWH. Also I think it shows the uselessness of playing Latrell at 5/8.He shouldn't be relegated to feeding outside players less capable than him the ball, he needs to be on the outside running onto it. I doubt he should ever be considered as a 5/8....and his lack of involvement shows his head/contract issues are probably unresolved in his mind. And sadly Radleys strength has been diluted by playing hooker instead of a running forward....maybe time to persist with Verrel at Hooker until Jakes return. The year's success is certainly going to rise and fall on the best personnel being fit .

Comment

Originally posted by gragra View Post
            Yes his press conference explains it well, however it does show the importance of cronk to the side. next year post cronk era is going to bring us consistently back to the other teams. Trent's rotation policy doesn't excuse the drop in form of Latrell, 2 touches for 2 dropped balls, the brain explosions of JWH. Also I think it shows the uselessness of playing Latrell at 5/8.He shouldn't be relegated to feeding outside players less capable than him the ball, he needs to be on the outside running onto it. I doubt he should ever be considered as a 5/8....and his lack of involvement shows his head/contract issues are probably unresolved in his mind. And sadly Radleys strength has been diluted by playing hooker instead of a running forward....maybe time to persist with Verrel at Hooker until Jakes return. The year's success is certainly going to rise and fall on the best personnel being fit .
            We have performed well without Cronk in the past. I think it shows the importance of not relying on the fitness of Luke Keary.

Comment

Losing 2 matches doesn't mean it doesn't work. IF we make the 4 it works,
              then its game on when the semis come
              The Internet is a place for posting silly things
              Try and be serious and you will look stupid
              sigpic

Comment

Just watched the presser at R_6's suggestion. In a nutshell, Robbo is thinking about the season as a whole and making week to week decisions with the end in mind.
                "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Spot on - worth watching the press conference

i would have taken 8 and 3 at the bye if it was offered at the start of the season

Comment

If you are going to rest a half, why not keary considering he has the origin schedule coming up? where Cronk doesnít, also would have let lamb and Cronk have a hit out together before they are the halves combo during origin. I imagine keary wonít back up to play any of the matches after/if he plays origin if he plans to keep player fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

We have performed well without Cronk in the past. I think it shows the importance of not relying on the fitness of Luke Keary.
                      I think your point is a crucial one. Keary's availability is something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

If a player injures his right knee for example twice in the last season. Let's say once in a pre-season training accident that delays his start to the season. Then again during the competition and for a third time in the opening minutes of a World Cup match at season's end.

Following season the same knee forces him off the field early 2019 and for a second and third time. That seems an improbably scenario. More likely he would have gone under the knife long before then.

Keary's consistent shocks have been to his brain. It doesn't get any easier.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                        If you are going to rest a half, why not keary considering he has the origin schedule coming up? where Cronk doesnít, also would have let lamb and Cronk have a hit out together before they are the halves combo during origin. I imagine keary wonít back up to play any of the matches after/if he plays origin if he plans to keep player fresh.
                        It wasn't so much about resting Cronk as it was getting him ready for the extra workload that's about to come his way with Keary playing Origin.

Robbo mentioned that Cronk didn't have a pre-season so now is pretty much his mini pre-season. He said they put a lot of work into him this week and you would imagine they will do the same next week with the bye coming up.

It was very evident in the Dragons game when Keary was out that Cronk struggled in the 2nd half with his fitness levels and his performance tapered off as a result. You can't underestimate the demands of running a football team solely by yourself and that's what Cronk will need to do for the next month or so.

Keary will no doubt be rested from club games throughout the Origin period.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

It wasn't so much about resting Cronk as it was getting him ready for the extra workload that's about to come his way with Keary playing Origin.

Robbo mentioned that Cronk didn't have a pre-season so now is pretty much his mini pre-season. He said they put a lot of work into him this week and you would imagine they will do the same next week with the bye coming up.

It was very evident in the Dragons game when Keary was out that Cronk struggled in the 2nd half with his fitness levels and his performance tapered off as a result. You can't underestimate the demands of running a football team solely by yourself and that's what Cronk will need to do for the next month or so.

Keary will no doubt be rested from club games throughout the Origin period.
                          It will be nice near the end of the year if we have a fully fit team to select from, probably only need 4 games together to be a force, and if we miss the top four due to smart rotation, we would easily have the potential to win it from outside the 4.

as always you want to win every game as a fan, but realistically it canít happen, that doesnít stop the irrational weekly threads and nor should it. The chookpen would be a dull place if we won every week, and we wouldnít have the mouth watering fight night between micky lane and the tobins to look forward too.

Comment

The thing is rotation policies havenít always worked for the better.

Cricket has tried to rest fast bowlers and they still get injured where in the old days, fast bowlers say they went better if they just kept bowling.

Sports where they play more than once a week, European soccer, nba and mlb, would rotate through their squad.

Yawnion has rested players from regional teams for their national squads to varying degrees of success.

League hasnt done it much considering itís such a tough game on the body. It seems player welfare is becoming more important to clubs, especially ones with deep squads like us.

On a positive, it gave the fringe players a chance to play in front of a huge, hostile crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Weidler
                              Cronk was seen flying to the Sunshine Coast on Friday as his teammates travelled to Newcastle to take on the Knights. He was ĎĎrestedíí by coach Trent Robinson, despite the Roosters having the bye next weekend.
                              I wonder if he watched the game live?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Fatal error: Uncaught Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM cacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_785066_lvl1data','node_785066_lvl3data','vBAtchmnts_785066','getSearchResults_8870bc85ec0aced5e51a483941c8e568','vBAtchmnts_785071','vBAtchmnts_785073','vBAtchmnts_785074','vBAtchmnts_785083','vBAtchmnts_785087','vBAtchmnts_785088','vBAtchmnts_785090','vBAtchmnts_785094','vBAtchmnts_785097','vBAtchmnts_785101','vBAtchmnts_785106','vBAtchmnts_785118','vBAtchmnts_785151','vBAtchmnts_785254','node_785071_lvl3data','node_785073_lvl3data','node_785074_lvl3data','node_785083_lvl3data','node_785087_lvl3data','node_785088_lvl3data','node_785090_lvl3data','node_785094_lvl3data','node_785097_lvl3data','node_785101_lvl3data','node_785106_lvl3data','node_785118_lvl3data','node_785151_lvl3data','node_785254_lvl3data','node_785071_lvl1data','node_785073_lvl1data','node_785074_lvl1data','node_785083_lvl1data','node_785087_lvl1data','node_785088_lvl1data','node_785090_lvl1data','node_785094_lvl1data','node_785097_lvl1data','node_785101 in /home/thechook/public_html/vb5/core/vb/database.php on line 1189