We MUST replace Cronk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We MUST replace Cronk

I think last night showed pretty clearly just how important it is to have 2 experienced halves.

Keary will be our main half next year that is a given but if he was to get an injury our whole season would crumble and that's such a huge risk. It could be a real 2016 type season when we lost Pearce for the first half of the season and never recovered.

I'm fine with developing Lam/Latrell/insert young up and comers for the long term but we must replace Cronk with an experienced half for 2020. Experienced meaning more than 50 first grade games.

Obviously we won't be able to afford top end halves but I think options such as;

- Sam Williams
    - Te Marie Martin
    - Aidan Sezer
    - Ryley Jacks
    - Blake Austin

Should be considered strongly. None are world beaters but all have experience and are first graders in the right environment.

I would also be watching the Ash Taylor situation very closely. If we could pick him up for a discount he would be worth shedding a player to pay the extra coin. His potential is huge, just needs some strong guidance and coaching.

Robbo rated Michael Morgan the best player in the game in 2017 so I was wondering if you knew what his contract situation was?
    Originally posted by Chook;n805564
    Why the fark anyone takes any notice of modern media is beyond me. It's all click bait populist crap aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Chook.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
      Robbo rated Michael Morgan the best player in the game in 2017 so I was wondering if you knew what his contract situation was?
      According to the Zero Tackle website, he is contracted until the end of 2023 and is being paid $1m a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
        I think last night showed pretty clearly just how important it is to have 2 experienced halves.

Keary will be our main half next year that is a given but if he was to get an injury our whole season would crumble and that's such a huge risk. It could be a real 2016 type season when we lost Pearce for the first half of the season and never recovered.

I'm fine with developing Lam/Latrell/insert young up and comers for the long term but we must replace Cronk with an experienced half for 2020. Experienced meaning more than 50 first grade games.

Obviously we won't be able to afford top end halves but I think options such as;

- Sam Williams
        - Te Marie Martin
        - Aidan Sezer
        - Ryley Jacks
        - Blake Austin

Should be considered strongly. None are world beaters but all have experience and are first graders in the right environment.

I would also be watching the Ash Taylor situation very closely. If we could pick him up for a discount he would be worth shedding a player to pay the extra coin. His potential is huge, just needs some strong guidance and coaching.
        I agree we need an experienced half but the ones you have listed are terrible , NSW cup standard , bar Austin who i think is a decent utility off the bench.
        Lets not forget contracts mean nothing and we could target someone who doesn't have long left on their current deal, any ideas there ?

Comment

I would be very surprised if the Club doesnít have a genuine plan in place for the post Cronk era.

In saying that I honestly hope the plan doesnít revolve around Latrell at 6 or even Lam at 6.

Surely when Cronk made the announcement the other day the Club is confident of his replacement moving forward,only issue is Iím not sure who is out there as a handy option.

Comment

Maybe the club is going to go hard to get Sam Walker. I believe he turns 18 next year. There may be an interim where we have to survive for a while without a good halves combination but if this kid developed under Robbo and Coops it might be worth it down the track.

Comment

If we can sign someone good for unders, I wouldn't say no, but I don't see how you can discount Lachlan Lam after last night. Also, Latrell could grow into the role next to someone who isn't a reserve grader playing his first game for us.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Maloney comes back for a year or 2

Comment

Originally posted by BenCumminsIsACheat View Post
                  You beat me to it.

Penrith will probably release him and roll with Luai-Cleary.

So Maloney may well be an EXCELLENT option for a year or two with the Panthers chipping in a portion of his salary.

Comment

What a ridiculous post. We need an experienced replacement and then names a bunch of bum.

FYI - Brock Lamb has as much experience as some of those guys so there goes your theory.

Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

I agree we need an experienced half but the ones you have listed are terrible , NSW cup standard , bar Austin who i think is a decent utility off the bench.
                        Lets not forget contracts mean nothing and we could target someone who doesn't have long left on their current deal, any ideas there ?
                        Getting a half to break their contract is an expensive exercise and we would need to pay above market generally.

Appreciate none of those guys are world beaters but they have all shown an ability to succeed in first grade and have a good range of the core skills required.

Don't forget we signed Luke Keary when he was just a utility player for Souffs, by nature halves are always late developers.

Comment

The Walker kid from Brisbane is the replacement. He will play some NRL in the second half of next season.

Comment

Not a bad shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
                              What a ridiculous post. We need an experienced replacement and then names a bunch of bum.

FYI - Brock Lamb has as much experience as some of those guys so there goes your theory.
                              Brock Lamb is 22yo and has played 32 First Grade Games

- Aidan Sezer 27yo 139 First Grade Games
                              - Blake Austin 28yo 136 First Grade Games
                              - Sam Williams 28 yo 128 First Grade Games
                              - Te Maire Martin 23yo 55 First Grade Games/2 international's
                              - Ryley Jacks 26yo 27 First Grade Games

The ONLY thing he has over any of those players is number of games by 5 over Ryley Jacks. I only included Ryley Jacks because he is at that age when most halves generally start to peak, he's player a bucket load of reserve grade and he has come through some really good systems in the Roosters and Storm. Even despite playing less first grade I think it would be a hard argument to say he's less experienced... but make it if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X