Keary Concussion Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
    Im hearing Keary may not play again this year or have a long stint on the sidelines
    Would we get a salary cap exemption if he sat out the year?

Comment

Interesting to see Tyson Frizell making the NSW squad when he was knocked unconscious yesterday and is still having headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

Would we get a salary cap exemption if he sat out the year?
        Clap, clap. Very,very good question. Unfortunately I think we all know the answer.

Comment

If the doctors universally say that he needs to take the year off, then that's what he should do. But surely it's too early to make that call. Every concussion can be different and you don't know where you stand straight away.

Comment

Fox sports are reporting he could be out for a month. If he was my kid id be telling him to give the game away.... but he aint my kid !!!

Comment

Lucky we have so many medical experts here. I don't see how having a week or a month or 3 months off is going to make any difference to him getting concussed again when he next plays. I also don't think any damage which has already been done will repair itself in a week or a month etc. How many concussions do you reckon Geoff Toovey had? Where are all the ex players stumbling around with concussion related issues? It's a collision sport, if the doctor tells him he risks permanent injury by getting another concussion then he should give the game away, if not he plays on.

Comment

There are a couple of things to think of. Basically concussion is just an injury, but to a very important part of the body,
                Its also much harder to diagnose the degree of the injury. The symptoms are measurable but its much harder to determine what the physical damage is.
                Like any many other injuries if its fully healed then all is good, but also if re injured (another concussion) before the physical injury has fully healed then the damage is exaggerated and can be irreversible.

For an amateur or semi professional athlete having the same scenarios as Keary retirement would most likely be the best or only option, luckily for professorial athletes have resources that can enable to determine when the physical damage has healed.

Keary has the best medical staff available to him and I would not guess what is the best for him as they will not let him return until he is fully fit. The broken jaw injury is an example of that

Head gear does nothing to prevent concussion, in fact some studies believe it increases the occurrence in younger players due to a false level of confidence. The only thing that head gear helps with is cuts.
                The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
                  Where are all the ex players stumbling around with concussion related issues?
                  Ask Ian Roberts or Kevin Hastings or Mario Fenech or James McManus.... theres quite a few.

However you are right-its a contact sport. Sometimes things happen that can have a effect on you for the rest of our life, like Jamal Yow Yeh's ankle,Simon Dwyers nerve isues , Taniela Tuiaki's ankle and of course Alex McKinnon. If you play rugby league theres a better than average chance that your going to get concussed at some point in your career....and the effects may be ongoing for the rest of your life...or they may not be. Its the choice you make and risk you take when you play contact sports...life's full of risks.

Luke Keary is a young man with his whole life in front of him. In the end he will need to make the decision about whether he should play on or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
                    Interesting to see Tyson Frizell making the NSW squad when he was knocked unconscious yesterday and is still having headaches.
                    And its his second concuss too
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post

Clap, clap. Very,very good question. Unfortunately I think we all know the answer.
                      Maybe it's time for another name change then....how does Luke Greg Inglis-Keary sound?

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
                        Lucky we have so many medical experts here. I don't see how having a week or a month or 3 months off is going to make any difference to him getting concussed again when he next plays. I also don't think any damage which has already been done will repair itself in a week or a month etc. How many concussions do you reckon Geoff Toovey had? Where are all the ex players stumbling around with concussion related issues? It's a collision sport, if the doctor tells him he risks permanent injury by getting another concussion then he should give the game away, if not he plays on.
                        Didn’t you realise that the criteria for our forum is a medical or legal degree?

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post

Ask Ian Roberts or Kevin Hastings or Mario Fenech or James McManus.... theres quite a few.

However you are right-its a contact sport. Sometimes things happen that can have a effect on you for the rest of our life, like Jamal Yow Yeh's ankle,Simon Dwyers nerve isues , Taniela Tuiaki's ankle and of course Alex McKinnon. If you play rugby league theres a better than average chance that your going to get concussed at some point in your career....and the effects may be ongoing for the rest of your life...or they may not be. Its the choice you make and risk you take when you play contact sports...life's full of risks.

Luke Keary is a young man with his whole life in front of him. In the end he will need to make the decision about whether he should play on or not.

Maybe a little dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Maybe a little dramatic.
                            i would have thought more factual than dramatic.....but i've had quite a few concussions playing the game myself so maybe your right!

Comment

He plays tough and above his weight. These things happen when you put your body on the line like he does

get well soon luke..

Comment

It's only now that we realise the long term affects.

A work colleague is close friends with Liam Fulton. Sometimes he washes his car three times a day because he forgets he has already done it.

​​That's full on for a bloke that's not even 40.
                                Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X