Sam Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Walker

Apparently we are going all out to try and sign Sam Walker the son of former NRL player Ben Walker who many feel is the best junior prospect since Kalyn Ponga, he is viewed as a candidate to be our long term partner to Keary.

https://www.outline.com/3e79Bx
    Last edited by fletch; 05-20-2019, 10:12 PM.

Get used to it, we will be linked to every offseason player from now on, including every son of and next big thing in juniors
    Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

He sounds the goods.
      So no latrell at 5/8 long term?

Comment

How did you get outline to work?
        ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

The Roosters have 16-year old Ipswich product Sam Walker pegged as Cooper Cronk’s long-term replacement

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
          May 20, 2019 7:00pm
          Subscriber only
          The Sydney Roosters have earmarked the hottest teenage talent in rugby league since Kalyn Ponga as the long-term replacement for Cooper Cronk.

Ipswich rookie Sam Walker, the 16-year-old son of former NRL star Ben Walker, was in Sydney a fortnight ago with his father for talks with the big-spending Roosters.

Walker might be almost 20 years younger than Cronk but has so much potential he was signed to a development scholarship with the Brisbane Broncos at just 12.

That expires this year.

The Ipswich Grammar Student is also being chased by the Australian Rugby Union.

RELATED CONTENT SuperCoach: 10 things we learned Round 10
          SuperCoach: 10 things we learned Round 10 Detail behind Gutherson’s staggering new deal
          Detail behind Gutherson’s staggering new deal

He plays rugby union at school and rugby league on weekends for the Ipswich Jets under-18s in the Mal Meninga Cup. STAR QUEENSLAND SCHOOLBOY SAM WALKER

The halfback turns 18 in 2021, the year the Roosters believe he will be ready to play first grade.

Two weeks ago, Walker flew to Sydney to meet Roosters coach Trent Robinson for talks about his future.

Five-eighth Luke Keary was also at the meeting to try to persuade him to join the club.

His dad played for the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles and the Brisbane Broncos in the halves.

It is understood Walker is leaning towards the Roosters because of Robinson’s record as a coach/mentor in developing young players and because of the culture that he has created at Moore Park headquarters. Walker is a prospect with rare talent.
          This is despite the Canterbury Bulldogs offering almost double what the Roosters are prepared to pay.

Although he is a halfback, Walker has similar attributes to Ponga.

He runs the football more than conventional halfbacks but has great vision and organising skills.

His signing would leave the Roosters with a short-term problem for a halfback in 2020 when Cronk hangs up his boots at the end of the season.

The most likely outcome would be to switch Keary to halfback and possibly play Latrell Mitchell at five-eighth, where he would get more touches of the football.

At least eight other NRL clubs have been chasing Walker. Latrell Mitchell could move to five-eighth for a year. Picture by Phil Hillyard.
          New Zealand Warriors recruitment guru Peter O’Sullivan flew from Auckland to Brisbane to watch him play last month.

Still, the ARU refuses to give up hope of signing the youngster.

Whatever happens, he is likely to become the highest paid 18-year-old in either football code.

The outstanding recent performances of Broncos teenager Tom Dearden have opened the door for other rookies to be given playmaking responsibilities at NRL level.

Dearden had a blinder opposite Cronk in the Broncos’ victory over the Roosters on Friday night.

Comment

Not sure what's in the link, but Buzz reports that Sam, his Dad and Manager came down and met with Nick and Robbo. Apparently Rugby Union is chasing him hard too. Be in tomorrow's Tele.

Comment

Looks a special player in the highlights I watched today,wow!

Very similar to Ponga in playing style,hope we can pull it off..

Comment

Via Fox Sports, for those unable to open the other link

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...f60eac04536c55

Comment

He's 16yo so he's not going to be a replacement for Cronk.

Comment

His 17 turning 18 next yr

Comment

I think he's locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                        I think he's locked in.
                        It’s sounding that way mate

Comment

On a side note am I the only one that doesn’t see much in Kyle Flanagan?

i have watched him on numerous occasions and he doesn’t excite me,slow running game and not a great kicking game..

Hope we stay well away

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post

i have watched him on numerous occasions and he doesn’t excite me,slow running game and not a great kicking game..

Hope we stay well away
                            I doubt his Dad would stand for him coming to us. He wouldn't even let Tagatese come.

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post

Hope we stay well away
                              Lot of Jackson Hastings about him

Comment

Working...
                              X