X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarlicho View Post
    There’s a huge gap between his best game & worst game. Champions don’t have that. If he wants to be a genuine superstar not just a talked up fan favourite, he needs to close that gap, fast.

Doing nothing all night then carrying on like an idiot with 1 second to go & we’ve lost won’t get him anywhere. Each game like that knocks dollars off his next contract. Here’s hoping he bounces back well next week.
    I hope he doesnt change one bit & continues to niggle opposition players.

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
    It doesn't expressly say he wants to stay.
    Your right, he doesn’t say that he will stay but the way I see it he has said in the recent past that the East is home to him. He is happy here. If he is offered a decent deal I can’t see him leaving. We just need it to happen in the next couple of months. Seems like he’s been through the wringer with the change in management and it’s taken a toll on him. Last thing he wants to do atm is start negotiating a new deal. Let the dust settle. I reckon after Origin we will get an announcement he has extended for a few more years.
    One thing I did get from the article is that he is very keen to play 5/8. Not sure how that will play out in negotiations down the track.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Tobin
    replied
    It doesn't expressly say he wants to stay.

Leave a comment:

• ROC181
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
    Say no more.

If that doesn't warm Rooster hearts, nothing will.
    Didn’t know the article was posted here too... But you’re right JFC. The article says all that is needed to say to make us chookies happy. If he was to listen to outsiders other than his immediate family to go and play for that lot across ANZAC Pde, just because they’re fans, that would never guarantee his happiness. It’s Latrells life and if he is happy with being at Bondi then why would he leave just to make others happy who have nothing to do with it?

Leave a comment:

• Jacks Fur Coat
    replied
    Say no more.

If that doesn't warm Rooster hearts, nothing will.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY
    replied
    Latrell Mitchell bouncing back from traumatic management split

Latrell Mitchell has finally opened up on the ugly management split that threatened to derail his 2019 season, with the Roosters megastar revealing: “There were days I couldn’t get out of bed”.

Speaking on the eve of NRL Indigenous Round, rugby league’s biggest Aboriginal figure has opened up on the saga that left him bedridden, wanting to skip training and in the season opener against South Sydney “feeling embarrassed for the first time as a footballer”.

Yet after months of ongoing media speculation, which has taken a heavy mental toll on the 21-year-old, Mitchell is now on the cusp of signing a new deal with rising player manager Wayde Rushton — an agent who, just like Jerry Maguire, believes a small client base is the key to athlete wellbeing.

Apart from being well received by Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis and coach Trent Robinson, news of the merger will also be welcomed by NSW Origin coach Brad Fittler — who has known for some time about the struggles of his strike centre.

Mitchell too says he comes into Friday night’s Indigenous Round blockbuster against Newcastle feeling like “a giant weight has been lifted from my shoulders”.

The centre conceded his public breakup with manager Steve Deacon, coupled with rumours about him being unhappy at the Roosters, then wanting to join Sydney rivals like South Sydney and Parramatta, had taken a heavy toll.

“There’s been times this year where I couldn’t get out of bed,” Mitchell says. “Where I didn’t want to get out of bed, didn’t want to go to training, nothing.

“It was my first time dealing with a situation like this and I felt like if I could just stay in bed I’d be all right.”

And when he did attend training, Mitchell concedes teammates could sense his increasing stress.

“It showed to the boys, yeah,” he said. “They knew.

“I’m a guy who usually likes to chat a lot, have a joke and a laugh. So when I was quiet, they knew something was wrong.

“At times I tried to hide it, tried to talk a little more. But I just wasn’t myself. I was unhappy and wanted to stay home with my missus and baby.”

But now?

“Now with everything sorted it feels like a weight has been lifted,” he says. “Coming into indigenous Round, and with Origin coming … yeah it all feels like perfect timing.”

NEW MANAGEMENT DEAL

Mitchell revealed he is on the cusp of inking a new management deal with Rushton, the player agent who prefers to keep a small client base of 32 athletes — among them Knights superstar Kalyn Ponga.

While the incumbent Australian Test star declined to expand on his falling out with Deacon — saying only that the pair mutually agreed to separate — he revealed his entire family had been won over with Rushton and his wife Jenny after a meeting at the weekend.

“You can feel they want to help you,” he said. “That’s what hooked me.

“Initially, my missus said she had a good feeling. Then mum and dad were the same.

“I just feel like I can move on with my life now. Make sure my daughter (Inala, 1) is looked after for the rest of her life. That’s all I want to do.

“I feel like a lot of weight has been lifted.”

SOUTH SYDNEY

Quizzed on reports linking him to a Rabbitohs switch, Mitchell says: “There’s nothing there.

“I don’t know where it’s come from but I’m not considering anything at this point. Right now, I couldn’t be bothered talking about contracts.”

Mitchell did concede, however, his ongoing off-field issues had affected his performance in the season opener against Souths, which included several physical confrontations with his arch rivals.

“Coming into that game I was so frustrated with everything that was going on,” he recalls. “I couldn’t take it out on anyone so … I tried to take it out on Souths. With how I carried on, the grubbiness, that’s the first time I’ve ever felt embarrassed as a footballer.

“But with all that stuff now coming to an end, I feel like I’m starting to put things together on the field.

“Obviously, against Brisbane I went into a little trench, but I’ll come out of it. It’s great timing to have all this weight lifted.”

FIVE-EIGHTH

With Cooper Cronk announcing this week that 2019 will be his farewell season, Mitchell said he would love to move into the No. 6 jersey next year alongside Luke Keary.

“I can see myself there, yeah,” he says. “I’d love to train at five-eighth for a full pre-season.

“I played a lot at No. 6 as a kid, and I’ve seen my dad play there too. So I know the position.

“And I know if I trained that position for an entire pre-season I could do it. Originally it was the other way, I was a half who didn’t know if he could play centre.

“I’d definitely be excited to take on a new role and take my game to another level.”

GREATEST PLAYER IN THE GAME

Earlier this month, The Daily Telegraph ran a spread asking if Mitchell was now rugby league’s greatest player. And his response?

“Cameron Smith is the greatest,” he says. “Then James Tedesco and Jason Taumalolo.

“Obviously, it (the discussion) is nice to hear, but I also think ‘why?’ — because I’ve only been in the game a short time.

“I haven’t earned my spot like Cam Smith, who has led by example for years.”

INDIGENOUS ROUND

Mitchell, who only recently bought his own house, says NRL indigenous Round is the perfect opportunity to inspire.

“For indigenous Australians, there’s this stereotype that says we’re lazy, on the dole, get given houses,” he says.

“Well, I want kids to know that I’ve never been on the dole in my life.

“Want them to know I finished school and just went out and got myself a house. It wasn’t given to me for free, I bought it.

“I want to show young people that no matter what you want to be in life — doctor, footballer, veterinarian — if you work hard you can achieve.

“So go get educated, work hard and listen to people who can help you.”

FATHERHOOD

Now into his second year as a dad to daughter Inala, he says: “Absolute blessing.

“My daughter’s made me realise my potential as a person. I could still be the childish kid out there mucking around but I’ve had to mature, had to man up. It’s why one of my goals has been to buy a house. I’m striving to be great for her, not for myself.”

BLUES SMOKEY

Mitchell has urged NSW Origin coach Brad Fittler to pick fellow incumbent Blues centre James Roberts, even though he is currently playing reserve grade. “I’d definitely pick him,” he says. “Jimmy’s a guy that comes from a rough background, and has had some tough times in his career. But when Wayne Bennett was his coach, he really nurtured him. That’s what he needs now. Pick him and he’ll do the job.”

MAKE THEM FEAR YOU

Undoubtedly, Mitchell is the man who has made centre great again.

“And I do love playing there because of the personal battles you have,” he says. “Other than prop, there isn’t another position on the field where the battle is as personal.

“Whoever I go up against, I want to dominate them. Every game I want to make sure I’m striking fear into them. As soon as they’ve finish that week before playing the Roosters, I want them thinking that they’ve got us, thinking about me.”

ROOSTERS

Mitchell laughs off suggestions he is off with the Roosters, his home since 16.

“There is a lot of soul inside our club,” he says. “And when you sign up, you become attached. Even my parents felt it. I can say that being a Rooster has been massive for me, not only as a footballer, it’s helped steer me in the right direction as a man, as a father … even setting my values, the Roosters have been massive.

“So now with everything sorted, my only focus is going back-to-back.”

Leave a comment:

• Flipper Hands
    replied
    Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Right so when you earn $10 million a year you'll drive a Chery because all cars can break down?
    I prefer a limo' driver personally

Leave a comment:

• Flipper Hands
    replied
    Originally posted by dice View Post

A lot of fans still don't understand the significance of players creating space for those around them by attracting defenders. These fans should be condemned to watching many replays of former slug combinations like Hastings/Guerra/Copley and Anasta/Guerra/Leilua. Only then they might fully appreciate the Keary/Cordner/Mitchell combination.
    Hallelujah brother!

Not sure I agree on BJ though, he is a beast now.

Leave a comment:

• Flipper Hands
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
    No footballer should be worth a million a year. That's 250k per cruciate ligament.
    Supply and demand, it's just a market derived from the league businesses success. Have a look at football and NFL salaries, $1M/yr for a league player is chickenfeed.

Leave a comment:

• The Brain
    replied
    I love latrell more now..he said to segyaro at the end there....and you hold my trophy while I kis your wife...
    lol

Leave a comment:

• milanja
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarlicho View Post
    There’s a huge gap between his best game & worst game. Champions don’t have that. If he wants to be a genuine superstar not just a talked up fan favourite, he needs to close that gap, fast.

Doing nothing all night then carrying on like an idiot with 1 second to go & we’ve lost won’t get him anywhere. Each game like that knocks dollars off his next contract. Here’s hoping he bounces back well next week.
    Inglis and Hayne were the same, as is Shaun Johnson, and Fifita, but when they go bang, you can’t stop them, these players aren’t there to play consistently, they are there to win you a game that others can’t. If you have to rely on these kind of players solely each game, then your team won’t be winning too many matches.

Leave a comment:

• ism22
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
    No footballer should be worth a million a year. That's 250k per cruciate ligament.
    Right so when you earn $10 million a year you'll drive a Chery because all cars can break down?

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Originally posted by dice View Post

A lot of fans still don't understand the significance of players creating space for those around them by attracting defenders. These fans should be condemned to watching many replays of former slug combinations like Hastings/Guerra/Copley and Anasta/Guerra/Leilua. Only then they might fully appreciate the Keary/Cordner/Mitchell combination.
    Point well taken. A few times there Aubo actually got in the way and the play fell apart. Not blaming him because he was injured and in my opinion maybe a bit concussed. Whether or not he was concussed only having a couple of training sessions to blend in obviously wasn’t enough for the left edge to gel.
    Big improvement next game with Cords back.

Leave a comment:

• dice
    replied
    Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
    A centres ability to influence a game is largely dictated by the players inside them.
    We rarely had momentum last night & our structure down the left edge was non existent in Cordner's absence.

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Originally posted by mattyh View Post
    hence the debate over whether you can give a centre a million per year. unlike halves, fbs, hookers, locks , their ability to influence a game is largley reliant upon others.
    There’s no debate. Latrell is worth the big money. Whole team a bit off last night. After SST didn’t come back we lost momentum. We were outmuscled up front. Not to mention the amount of possession the Broncos had in the first half. If the forwards don’t win the battle up front very hard for the backs to perform. We will be better next week with Cords and hopefully SST back. Also our left edge was very clunky with the changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X