Does Sitili deserve a shot over Gus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
    They won't be told not to offload; but rather to be circumspect and pick their moments.

Kane Evans circa 2015 was punching through the line and offloading to support players like RTS and it was devastating.

Come 2016 he went full pansy mode and was throwing the ball out back whilst being driven back. Those "off loads" were highly ineffective.

So there's offloads SBW style which are devastating attacking weapons that lead to try scoring opportunities. And there are Corey Parker style marsh mellow offloads that lead to very little.

You'd rather 2 SBW style off loads a game over 6 Parker poseys any day.

I suspect Robbo wants his players on the edges to use their instincts and pick there moments when there's an opportunity for an effective offload - see Cordner with his SBWesque offload through the line that I believe set Lachy Lam away on Anzac Day.

So they do have it in them - it's just that they're highly judicious as to when. And perhaps Angus is learning that artform and is merely adapting from his Souffs days where he seemed to have licence to Hegarty crab cross field and dump a few Parker offloads out back.

Robbo clearly isn't a fan of this style and obviously wants Angus to focus on being more direct. But when he does adjust then look out. Manu and those running support inside may have a feast.
    I do not know this for a fact but reliable fans who know Kane evans family said one of the reasons he did not enjoy final years at roosters was his offload ticket revoked by Robbo.
    Im sure this happens in clubs but have no idea why Kane’s was revoked
    Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

At this moment, I like Sitili off the bench. For us Roosters fans know that when Sitili is about to enter the game, we get excited because we know he’s going to explode and produce something great. Whilst Angus role now is to defend his guts out, he’s doing what Robbo wants. When you’re on a good thing...stick to it!

Comment

Why wouldn’t you just keep going left, left, left all the time when the keary, cordner, tedesco, Latrell, toupo show is on absolute fire atm?

The crichton, manu, ikavalu right isn’t anywhere near as exciting and so they have been starved this year. Manu was probably our best player in the finals series last year and he is also down on form this year IMO but once again he has also been starved of ball because of our firing left.

What great problems to have!

Comment

Originally posted by The Axe View Post

I do not know this for a fact but reliable fans who know Kane evans family said one of the reasons he did not enjoy final years at roosters was his offload ticket revoked by Robbo.
          I'm guessing he didn't enjoy his final years as he was nowhere near first grade standard and couldn't make the team

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

I'm guessing he didn't enjoy his final years as he was nowhere near first grade standard and couldn't make the team
            And can barely make the 17 for Parra...

Something that sticks in my mind is when Robbo said "You have to earn the right to play footy".

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

great post, if that is correct that puts so much in perspective, and shows what robbo sees as oppossed to what we the uneducated fan see. when i say uneducated im a giy who played 2 or 3 seasons growing up in nz, and has probably watched 2000 nrl games , but my knowledge is severely lacking compared to a t.robbo.
              Yeah I'd love just 30 minutes with Robbo over a coffee/beer to learn some of his privately held perspectives. We're lucky to have one of the best minds in the game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Axe View Post

Ricky did that to Shillo.

They are paranoid about completion rates.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yeah I'd love just 30 minutes with Robbo over a coffee/beer to learn some of his privately held perspectives. We're lucky to have one of the best minds in the game...
                  The fan forum he used to do was great. Hasn't done it for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post

Valid points. But Robbo and the Roosters keep stuff very close to their chest. I would not be surprised he is used more as an attacking weapon later in the year. Nothing stay the same and it could be just a waiting game
                    If you take Robbo's philosophy with teams and apply it to players he goes on and on about "laying the foundations first".

I guess you could easily compare Circthon's season with Tedesco, Tedesco started slowly last season and when he was openly criticised, Robbo defended him and spoke about developing his organisation of the defensive line.

The concern for me is I had seen it in Teddy in countless previous seasons and I saw glimpses of it from him at the beginning of last year, I just haven't seen a whole lot for Gus yet. He had a decent Anzac day game and I loved his run back across field last Sunday but really really brief moments. I also thought his second season in First Grade was underwhelming.

Like Cockadoodledoo I think my paranoia of his performances stems from how much I know he's taking up of the cap and the potential that has to cost us in terms of players.

Knowing Aubbo, Curran, Sitili & Tetavno are all off contract this year with Latrell, Butcher, Manu, SST, JWH & Friend off contract next. I just really hope we've spent that 700k or so wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

Ricky did that to Shillo.

They are paranoid about completion rates.
                      Don't know that Robbo is all that paranoid about completion rates.

I think Robbo just values quick play the balls, structure in yardage/transition and then when you're in good ball he's happy for players to be a little more creative.

Really though when you look at it the value of an offload in yardage is the ability to suck in defenders, offload the ball to a play which can create a one on one or a staggered defensive line. The ball playing Robbo has his middles do between themselves (Liu, JWH, Hargreaves, Radley) is just as effective and lower risk.

Comment

"I do not know this for a fact but reliable fans who know Kane evans family said one of the reasons he did not enjoy final years at roosters was his offload ticket revoked by Robbo.
                        Im sure this happens in clubs but have no idea why Kane’s was revoked"
                        His mum told me that at and Anzac day game the year (or 2) before he went to Parra. I wanted to reply that i thought his selection of when to do it and when not to, needed some improvement, but, as she was a very polite and respectful woman, I though it way to rude for a nufty, who has never played at that level, to make any comment, so I just smiled, agreed and sipped my beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                          Here we go R6 at it again. Thinking he knows better than Trent Robinson.
                          Please, my knowledge on the game wouldn't even register in comparison to Trent Robinson. The bloke is an absolute genius, if you want to know my true affection towards him read my posts circa late 2006 to early 2008 when plenty were suggesting he should be replaced.

I've been an unapologetic, staunch supporter of his since the day he arrived and will be forever. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Trent Robinson.

I just think it's an interesting topic that has a few layers to it and I was curious to see what others thought so I could read though different opinions and ideas to evolve my own and to be honest I've really enjoyed everything that's been contributed.

Truth be told I didn't really have a standpoint on it when I asked the question but I agree with the majority, I think the coaching staff would have a clear plan for him in regards to expanding his role in the team once he's settled and that will come with time so he deserves that opportunity. It also wouldn't be any wiser just to put a rookie in the position either. Like I said my paranoia stems largely from the size of his contract, if he's not playing to his value could his have been put to better use elsewhere in the squad.

Surely this is what forums are for? To hear different opinions and have enough self awareness to develop or change your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Truth be told I didn't really have a standpoint on it when I asked the question but I agree with the majority, I think the coaching staff would have a clear plan for him in regards to expanding his role in the team once he's settled and that will come with time so he deserves that opportunity. It also wouldn't be any wiser just to put a rookie in the position either. Like I said my paranoia stems largely from the size of his contract, if he's not playing to his value could his have been put to better use elsewhere in the squad.

Surely this is what forums are for? To hear different opinions and have enough self awareness to develop or change your own.
                            I get it totally. Perhaps the question could have been reworded toward the value bit. But when I was watching the Canberra game first time around I asked the same question and then shook my head for asking it. But I've watched that game again since and on that game you'd be crazy to go past Sitili. Take into account his performance against the Storm and the run that led to Latrell's 'impossible' field goal, plus a fair effort against St George and Sitili is playing above his weight. He must be retained.

Also Curran is playing NSW residents and starting to find his feet etc. It's a fair question whether Chrichton is worth his wage in comparison. I do think he's a great player and has enormous skills that we're yet to see. He has shown he can also play the tough game. And his attitude is something you can't replace. Totally dedicated athlete. Plus now a seasoned first grade player who can shine at any level. He may have been purchased knowing that Cordner is a bit more injury prone and the way Boyd plays, may have a shorter career. Then you need another leader. And that's where Angus fits the bill.

I do think Angus is worth big dollars. I just think we're in a rare position with a heap of great young forwards. I wouldn't like to be the one selecting who to keep and who to let go. But I do belive we have let go the right ones, with Napa a send off risk and Evans never fulfilling potential etc. So trust in Trent...he should know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Please, my knowledge on the game wouldn't even register in comparison to Trent Robinson. The bloke is an absolute genius, if you want to know my true affection towards him read my posts circa late 2006 to early 2008 when plenty were suggesting he should be replaced.

I've been an unapologetic, staunch supporter of his since the day he arrived and will be forever. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Trent Robinson.

I just think it's an interesting topic that has a few layers to it and I was curious to see what others thought so I could read though different opinions and ideas to evolve my own and to be honest I've really enjoyed everything that's been contributed.

I just come on here to meet women!

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

I just come on here to meet women!
                                I'm sure it was you Thirteen who informed me that, sadly, Rooster6 is not a woman.

Comment

Working...
                                X