No announcement yet.

Does Sitili deserve a shot over Gus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cordner/Crichton are the 80 minute anchors of this forward pack, gives Robbo the freedom to rotate the middle guys more frequently, Crichton's defense has been massive in a few of our tight wins this year.

Also don't underestimate how the dominance of our left side attack is limiting the amount of opportunities Crichton is receiving, the ball simply doesn't find its way to the right edge as often.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
      Cordner/Crichton are the 80 minute anchors of this forward pack, gives Robbo the freedom to rotate the middle guys more frequently, Crichton's defense has been massive in a few of our tight wins this year.

Also don't underestimate how the dominance of our left side attack is limiting the amount of opportunities Crichton is receiving, the ball simply doesn't find its way to the right edge as often.
      Yep. The same applies to Manu, too.

The right edge boys just haven't had many opportunities come their way so far but once we settle as a team they'll come into their own.

Remember Manu was our best player in the finals imo. Their time will come.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
        Crichton will come good...however i do find myself thinking in hindsight we could have kept Matterson for less money and who is more versatile. That is in hindsight though and I was thrilled when we signed Gus. He just looks to be playing very very conservatively and like others have mentioned a bit out of sync with others around him. At Souths a lot of his very good carries were when he probed across field and found a hole or popped an offload, he seems to be sticking to Robbos plan to the letter at this stage.
        Sitili is a weapon but his role at the moment is perfect for him. If he continues this form for an extended period he will force his way into the team, just like he has played is way above others in the pecking order for FG
        Extremely conservatively.

There was a moment in that game yesterday where he got the ball from an offload and the defensive line was scattered, he started to drift across field and it was the first time all season I had seen him running free and in his element. He bumped off 3 or 4 defenders but ended up dying with the ball but that was only because his team mates didn't know how to react to what he was doing it was the first time they'd seen him running across field and being a threat... do we give him space? do we support? when's he going to jink or jag? at what moment will he pass? will he pass? does he want me to run an overs or unders line for him? should I just stay out of the way?

See Teddy was the same last year, he's a very unstructured fullback who likes to run whenever he see's an opportunity, whether it means he's drifting across the field, pin balling out of tackles or going from dummy half. But the difference is Teddy wasn't playing conservatively he was trying and trying and trying every game, I saw the boys crowding him, I saw the team not understanding when he was going to run and they needed to support or when he was going to pinball across the field and they just needed to get out of his way. But we figured that out by the end of the year and now it's just beautiful to watch. Poetry in motion.

The part I'm not seeing with Gus is enough of him trying to put on plays, so many are saying he will come good, but is that just blind faith because Robbo rarely ever gets it wrong? Gus at his best was the 2017 version, he was average under Seibold playing in a strict structure. I want to see Gus drifting across field, I want to see him trying to get on the outside of his opposite number and ball playing to his outside backs. So how will the team learn to play with him, how will it come good if he's playing within himself?

I say put him on the bench, take the pressures of having to contribute to yardage sets, playing structure and making 35 tackles off him for the next few months. Just ask him to come on against some tired defence and just do what he does best, play some unstructured footy. Give him a bit of a free licence to roam. Then at least we will start to learn how to play with him and build some combos. Then when he's confident and firing bring him back into the starting side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

I think you have a crush on Chrichton. I also think the only way you can process it is by publicly rejecting him at every opportunity.
          I love the Crichton story, kid who grew up supporting the club, gets the chance to live out his dream.

How could any Roosters fan not want to see him do well?

Don't be so limited in your thinking Bansai, this isn't personal. Never is.

Comment

If Cords is out against the Broncos I would love to see Angus get a run on the left side and see how he goes. Running off Keary might show a totally different side to his game. Just a thought. Could be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
              Exactly.

Angus is coming along just fine. He's had a couple of excellent games and will only improve as he gels within the team and the injuries hopefully ease off which have caused in game disruption.

No lessons have been learned after last year it seems. Give him more than 9 games before we write him off!
              No one is writing him off, that's just in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

No one is writing him off, that's just in your head.
                Maybe, but the thread isn't exactly a ringing endorsement!

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
                  If Cords is out against the Broncos I would love to see Angus get a run on the left side and see how he goes. Running off Keary might show a totally different side to his game. Just a thought. Could be worth a try.
                  Unless injuries force a player to swap sides you donít just try a player on a side he doesnít play. Can Angus pass right to left for starters?

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

Maybe, but the thread isn't exactly a ringing endorsement!
                    It doesn't have to be to mean I'm not writing off a player.

I think all good forums need to have a balance of both positive and negative discussions.

I just think it's an interesting discussion point in a team that's flying at the moment where there's no other real positions up for debate as far as I can see..

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

Is the dominance in shits to of our left edge purely because of how good they are or do you think it also has something to do with how ineffective we've been down the right edge this year too?

Last year when we started to click in the back half of the season we really saw our right edge come to life, I was hoping we would see Crichton help take that to another level this year but as you suggest it seems to have gone the other way.

Comment

He's doing his job well enough like the rest of the squad. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                        Sco-mo...Sco-mo...Sco-mo...

Comment

no way.
                          Crichton has been very solid playing tight this year, it's just Robbo using him differently (so far) than at Souffs. His 80mins locking up that right side provides enormous flexibility.
                          Anyone see his deft pass to teddy against the Tigpies near our line that enabled Teddy to get to the 20, so easy, such good vision. He'll either score or put on a beauty soon and everyone will quiet down.
                          i thought he was v good against the merge, great try, hard running and lots of great cover defence.

Comment

A shot at what?

Playing 80 mins in the second row..

Surely you are having a laugh..

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

It doesn't have to be to mean I'm not writing off a player.

I think all good forums need to have a balance of both positive and negative discussions.

I just think it's an interesting discussion point in a team that's flying at the moment where there's no other real positions up for debate as far as I can see..
                              Always a place for constructive criticism ...

Comment

Originally posted by Pass the Ball View Post
                                A shot at what?

Playing 80 mins in the second row..

Surely you are having a laugh..
                                No, as I said earlier I would use Crichton off the bench until he settles into the side.

Comment

Working...
                                X