Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am struggling to see the purpose and value of ‘magic’” round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am struggling to see the purpose and value of ‘magic’” round?

this whole round makes no sense at all?
    define magic?
    is the definition of magic taking home games away from Sydney members and expecting them to be appeased?

this whole round stinks
    its like an NRL payback to Suncorp
    barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Have to agree. Just an excuse to get people to spend money in Brisbane.

A better idea would have been to have back to back games (4 double headers across Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun) all played at Bankwest. Probably would have been able to fill the stadium for most games that way.

If they are serious about growing the game, market and play magic round in a different city every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post
      If they are serious about growing the game, market and play magic round in a different city every year.
      Well it could be said that 'if they want to be serious about growing the game yadda yadda yadda...' they should take the Grand Final to another city, but they wont... But this is the first time this has happened and it's in Brisbane and who knows? Its most likely a marketing ploy for interstate fans AND the fact that the Roosters v Raiders game would probably attract under 10k fans (if that) to the SCG on a Saturday night(when most of our weak games are held), wheres the harm? Maybe if this concept works, it might be taken to another city next year so it's premature to have a whinge.

Comment

Hmmmm, not actually having a whinge. Just pointing out that doing it to attract people to Brisbane for the weekend does more for Brisbane's economic and not much else. I'm failing to see the benefits for the rest of the competition

Comment

Oh come on it is a whinge, but hey who doesn't whinge on a day to day basis so don't take it is as an insult. Trew is also whinging. And yes it's all probably funded by QLD govt to attract tourists and I'm sure they want to see the stars like Latrell, Tedesco and others all in one weekend... As for money for QLD, don't you think that keeping the grand final is supported by the NSW govt? They don't want to lose it. It's supposed to be a footy festival or whatever they call it and in our case they take a dud game where fans hardly go to, to Brisbane. BTW, this concept apparently began in the ESL and they do take it to other cities too so I'm sure one year it will be at Wankfest Stadium.

Comment

Magic Money Round...

Sponsorship via QLD Tourism Board

Authorised by former QLD Premier Peter Beatie

Comment

The argument is that we get more than 250k to play it there, compared to the less than 100k we might have got if we'd played it here.

Comment

I am more than a bit concerned about how the ground will will hold up by the time we play on Sunday. Also, a bit disturbing how many ankle and knee injuries sustained over the first 3 games. Makes one question the quality of the surface and it it’s had a contribution to these injuries. In the second game last night it looked to be getting chewed up a bit after a little rain.

Comment

they have a magic round in the super league. it is to grow the game, so its normally played where there is no current teams - like Newcastle, Cardiff and Edinburgh. The growth aspect is good. Here in the NRL, its in a city that gets an NRL game every second week and one or two SOOs per year. It has no growth element. All it is for is to milk money out of the QLD govt, yet we have had to endure lots of advertisements within games for the round as if its actually meaningful. ima not a fan of it

Comment

The ‘Magic’ round serves no purpose. I don’t get it either. Decisions made by people who have no idea about the game. You just can’t move all games to one ground and say that that is somehow ‘Magic’. You’ve then got to do something special. For example, have the teams wear the NFL style colour rush jerseys (ie one solid colour). Something that distinguishes the round. Hold competitions for League’s fastest player, strongest etc. The old League-a-thon was better.

Comment

I don't get the relevance in calling it magic round but I like the concept.

They are already planning on taking it to other cities. It's just a weekend to celebrate the game and unite all the fans. Sounds like a good excuse to get on the beers and enjoy a day full of first grade footy.

They should do it in school holidays so families can make a trip out of it. Set up a bunch of training camps in collaboration with the 16 clubs that the parents can drop the kids off at during the week.

Scrap the standalone Thursday night game and do a full Friday day of games. 2pm, 5pm, 8pm.

Allow fans to walk in and out of the stadium with games for the kids, some pop up bars and decant food options.

I think it's a great idea and if done right could have a really fun festival vibe about it.

It could become a huge bargaining chip for the NRL too, the boost it would give local city economies would be huge. Cities all over Asutralia and New Zealand would be extremely interested in sponsoring the event.

Comment

I get to go to two Roosters games back to back. Fine by me

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post
                          Have to agree. Just an excuse to get people to spend money in Brisbane.

A better idea would have been to have back to back games (4 double headers across Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun) all played at Bankwest. Probably would have been able to fill the stadium for most games that way.

No one's booking a weekend getaway to Parramatta.

I'd be surprised if the final attendance isn't more than 4x what Bankwest can hold anyway.

Comment

The concept is all based around a NRL and Qld Tourism Deal.
                            I tuned in last night but found it punishing especially the hype around ex Qld players, the Broncos and Suncorp Stadium.
                            I couldn’t help but recall the Horn vs Manny fight when all the publicity on Horn was that he was a Queenslander or from Brisbane and never was he called an Australian. I’m glad I tuned out last night and watched some great music doco’s on Tubi.

Comment

Originally posted by BallyChook View Post
                              I get to go to two Roosters games back to back. Fine by me
                              Brisbane is a great choice, huge city with just the one team. So many fans of different clubs up there and so many Sydney sides who have relocated all across Qld. It was the perfect location.

Comment

Working...
                              X