Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone care about Super League still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondi paul
    replied
    Originally posted by The Axe View Post

Totally agree with what you wrote
    Did fox Disney deal include fox Australia? If so, Disney owns NRL now
    Hi Axe - the recent purchase by Disney was for Fox’s movie company - 21st Century Fox.

Leave a comment:

• Rooster_6
    replied
    I thought the heading was in reference to the English Super League.

So I guess not.

I was only 7 when the super league war was a thing and I've grown up loving Fox sports and their coverage of the game and all sports so maybe I'm a little bit blind to their influence over the game but I just don't see it, not in the modern era anyway.

Leave a comment:

• The Axe
    replied
    Originally posted by ism22 View Post

It's a thing... Fox basically owns the NRL. Remember when an 'independent' NRL CEO tried awarding the main TV contract to FTA?

OOOO.M.G... Rubert came out with a massive whinge, offered AFL a tiiiiny bit more money (they both got around
    about a billion) and the NRL CEO was very quickly sacked.

IMO the FTA deal was a masterstroke. Imagine how desperate Fox woulda been next time around in an age of Netflix, streaming content and cable TV having zero relevancy but for the fact it owns exclusive content. IMO if the NRL had been allowed to play the bluff and be like 'next time, dude... for now you've got delayed broadcasting and a couple of live games' then they could be in line for a much bigger Fox... a Fox that knows its offer can and will be rejected by the NRL.

Instead, they sacked their CEO, were like 'HOW DARE YOU AWARD IT TO A FTA NETWORK!!!' and behind the scenes Fox got given a new deal. Message? Fox owns the NRL. There's technically degrees of separation, but the NRL will not bite the hand that feeds it.
    Totally agree with what you wrote
    Did fox Disney deal include fox Australia? If so, Disney owns NRL now

Leave a comment:

• Headless Chook
    replied
    Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post

You bastard so its your fault

But where do you start on the effects that the Super League shit started. But who was to blame. I can't lay the blame entirely on News Corp, they merely saw an opportunity. The eternal whingers the Broncos started the whole business along with some gibberers down in Canberra. The game has now turned into a corporate game taken from the general public because it was decided in some amazing greed fuelled meeting that participants in the sport with a reasonably small market should be getting paid 100s of 1000s of dollars simply because thats what other sports stars got.

I used to be of the belief that Ch9 had too much control over the game, but I think thats subsided which is great because they were ruining it.

Trew's point is absolutely spot on along with that fact these celebrity journo are dragging the game down instead of promoting the game that pays their salary
    Fixed it for you

Leave a comment:

• Kingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
    Even marched for Souths reinstatement in a Roosters jersey. Got a lot of hugs from the vermin that day.
    You bastard so its your fault

But where do you start on the effects that the Super League shit started. But who was to blame. I can't lay the blame entirely on News Corp, they merely saw an opportunity. The eternal whingers QRL started the whole business along with some gibberers down in Canberra. The game has now turned into a corporate game taken from the general public because it was decided in some amazing greed fuelled meeting that participants in the sport with a reasonably small market should be getting paid 100s of 1000s of dollars simply because thats what other sports stars got.

I used to be of the belief that Ch9 had too much control over the game, but I think thats subsided which is great because they were ruining it.

Trew's point is absolutely spot on along with that fact these celebrity journo are dragging the game down instead of promoting the game that pays their salary

Leave a comment:

• Headless Chook
    replied
    I do. Will never support a News Ltd team.

Even marched for Souths reinstatement in a Roosters jersey. Got a lot of hugs from the vermin that day.

That's the bit that gets lost in the telling of this story. Souths fans would have you believe that it was 70,000 Souths supporters who marched on that day when in reality it was a show of solidarity from a lot of fans of rival clubs which swelled the numbers. If there is one area in which we are truly in Souths shadow, its in the ability to twist a story and distort the facts in their favour

Leave a comment:

• zac
    replied
    Nah, not really. Rugby League is bigger than Super League. When i think of the Bulldogs, say, I think of a club that had a history before Super League and now consists of players and fans who've grown up loving the game. I always want to beat them, but the Super League thing isn't the major reason for that.

I would rather beat Manly in a GF than the Warriors.

Super League had some rational ideas, but it was basically dumb and suffered from a lack of consultation. They wanted to save the village by destroying it. I still care about dumb decisions, but I'm not wallowing in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Thirteen
    replied

You are probably still diseased.

Leave a comment:

• ism22
    replied
    Originally posted by trewhella View Post
    The rise of the celebrity journo has really left me embittered.
    The same sanctimonious crew who tried to take over and ruin the game are now ever present.
    News Limited owns the only League paper and the cross platform pay tv League channels
    It's a thing... Fox basically owns the NRL. Remember when an 'independent' NRL CEO tried awarding the main TV contract to FTA?

OOOO.M.G... Rubert came out with a massive whinge, offered AFL a tiiiiny bit more money (they both got around
    about a billion) and the NRL CEO was very quickly sacked.

IMO the FTA deal was a masterstroke. Imagine how desperate Fox woulda been next time around in an age of Netflix, streaming content and cable TV having zero relevancy but for the fact it owns exclusive content. IMO if the NRL had been allowed to play the bluff and be like 'next time, dude... for now you've got delayed broadcasting and a couple of live games' then they could be in line for a much bigger Fox... a Fox that knows its offer can and will be rejected by the NRL.

Instead, they sacked their CEO, were like 'HOW DARE YOU AWARD IT TO A FTA NETWORK!!!' and behind the scenes Fox got given a new deal. Message? Fox owns the NRL. There's technically degrees of separation, but the NRL will not bite the hand that feeds it.

Leave a comment:

• trewhella
    replied
    The rise of the celebrity journo has really left me embittered.
    The same sanctimonious crew who tried to take over and ruin the game are now ever present.
    News Limited owns the only League paper and the cross platform pay tv League channels

Leave a comment:

• Bansai Pipeline
    started a topic Does anyone care about Super League still?

Does anyone care about Super League still?

Working...
X