No announcement yet.

The only thing that worrys me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every other club in the comp would love to have this problem. To have the problem you have to be able to race out to huge leads. That said, if we do run out to a big lead again, we have to be as mean as a pawnbroker in defence. We have to give em nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
      The defence ain’t what it used to be yet
      Reminds of the 2003 season .Our attack got better (even with Finch arriving) but the defence that won the comp in 02 wasn't quite there.

The comp is weaker now though so only injuries will stop us.
      Last edited by Vasco; 04-22-2019, 06:55 PM.
      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post
        its actually pretty rare that 1 team will dominate for an entire 80 mins, both teams in a game normally get at least a 10 minute flow of possession, penalties, good luck etc. it is pretty rare to see scores of 52 - 0 even 30 - 0 in the nrl , of course it happens but rarely. so i don't knw if we are clocking off or just thats the way the games are going. i know im in the minority here, but all these minor injuries could be a blessing for later in the season, builds depth etc, ensures guys are not exhausted come season end, just need to manage origin which trent did amazingly well last year. we will have a few losses this season , not sure when but it will happen . hopefully well roll into the finals, fresh , invigorated ready to go...special times indeed.
        In a way it’s what I was discussing in the other thread about being on top. If we hadn’t allowed teams to catch up, we would be on top today and if we could continue to win games and have a good for and against till round 25 we remain on top Robbo would have the luxury to give players a rest going into the finals.

Comment

The only thing that worries me....is injuries. Yes, we've got depth but are the young blokes good enough to cover for a star for more than a few weeks at a time? Hope we don't get to find out.

Comment

Btw, this argument that we're definitely going to win the comp is pie in the sky. Yes, we're favourites but we're not odds on favourites. So much can happen. Obviously injuries, but also other things - loss of form, other teams hitting a purple spot etc.

Still, we don't have to worry about winning the comp atm. In 1975, when we broke the record for consecutive victories, the team didn't have a view for history. They just turned up and played. It wasn't until afterwards that people realised we'd broken the record for consecutive victories.

Comment

Robbo is a master of timing the run. A couple of those Minor Premierships we came from the clouds to win. And our best game of the season last year was the big one.

I trust him implicitly.

Comment

It's in our DNA. It seemed to disappear with the arrival of cronk last year but is creeping back in maybe with a little instability in the halves with keary and cronk not being on the field together consistently .

Comment

Still early days. Last year at this time, we looked way worse due to new combinations. Now with these combinations fleshed our we are winning games we didn’t win last year. Last year, round 4 against the warriors we looked terrible in defence. ANZAC Day as well, also first match against south Sydney and the first broncos game. Like last year, our defence will significantly improve as we move further into the season. I don’t understand the worries this far into the season. We don’t even have our best squad on the field yet! The fact we are still winning games with this form is great, because when we hit our peak, god knows what will happen...
                  Last edited by QWERTY; 04-23-2019, 04:18 PM.
                  EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

I don't see us getting as complacent as we did in some of the games of 2014. Were we not 20-0 up against the Sharks in one game and embarrassed ourselves.
                    The difference between say a Radley, Tedesco and Crichton vs a few of the 2014 stars is that these three are died in the wool roosters supporters and shouldn't lose that 1% or whatever it is that makes the difference between winning and losing. What they achieved as roosters players last year should drive them on to even more success. We also seem to have a good group of up and coming youngsters who should help to keep the older heads honest and set a good example. We are a special club indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by chicka View Post
                      I don't see us getting as complacent as we did in some of the games of 2014. Were we not 20-0 up against the Sharks in one game and embarrassed ourselves.
                      The difference between say a Radley, Tedesco and Crichton vs a few of the 2014 stars is that these three are died in the wool roosters supporters and shouldn't lose that 1% or whatever it is that makes the difference between winning and losing. What they achieved as roosters players last year should drive them on to even more success. We also seem to have a good group of up and coming youngsters who should help to keep the older heads honest and set a good example. We are a special club indeed.
                      It was 24-0 at half time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
                        We have a great side that reminds me of 74/75. We are the best team in the comp by a country mile. When we are on no team can touch us and I have no doubt that we will go back to back. However, our switching off in games is a concern. Whether it's a tactic by Robbo for us to rest at times during games or are we so smug that we know how good a team we are and that we can take back ascendancy when ever we need to. So far we have led Manly 26-0, Cronulla 30-0 and the Storm 20-0 only to allow these teams to come back at us, It nearly cost us against Melbourne. Our depth is amazing and hopefully our best is still to come. I'm hoping for a complete performance on Anzac Day but we need to get our d on as Keary says.
                        The only thing that worries me is injuries.

Comment

We are still a work in progress.

We are winning which is great, apart from round one. Injuries have seen our performances fluctuate from brilliant to clunky.
                          Whilst our attack is top notch, defense still needs some work. No team can be "up" for every game.

With plenty of upside, I'm expecting we will continue to cruise along, peaking at the right time of the year as the semis get closer.

Origin will be a tough period, and is a double edged sword to the team doing well. Like all teams, injuries are my only major concern, especially to our spine.

Coach Robbo is a seasoned campaigner now, we are in great hands. Go Easts.

Comment

Since Cronk has arrived we are a totally different side. Watching Luke Keary interviewed on Fox after the Melbourne game. Keary said that he has learnt more in the last 18 months off Cronk than in his entire career before. That's a huge call. Latrell Mitchell said last year that he was disappointed we didn't get Cronk years before. Said he was the smartest guy on a football field that he'd ever known. So yes Trent is doing great and I think it was his idea as much as Nick's to lock up Cooper and take a more professional approach. Even if Cooper's form fluctuates it's what he does for the players around him. As Trent has said many times he makes them better players. It's like having an on field coach.
                            Last edited by Louis N; 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post
                              Since Cronk has arrived we asre a totally different side. Watching Luke Keary interviewed on Fox after the Melbourne game. Keary said that he has learnt more in the last 18 months off Cronk than in his entire career before. That's a huge call. Latrell Mitchell said last year that he was disappointed we didn't get Cronk years before. Said he was the smartest guy on a footbeall field that he'd ever known. So yes Trent is doing great and I think it was his idea as much as Nick's too lock up Cooper and take a more professional approach. Even if Copper's form fluctuates it's what he does for the players around him. As Trent has said many times he makes them better players. It's like having an on field coach.

professionalism seems to be contagious especially when it's coming from a person who practices what they preach. Ie SBw cooper cronk.

Comment

Don't worry all. Most of the main squad had little to no off season training load. We have been purposely underdone as to hit our peak at the backend of the season. Prime example is Boyd, very slow start to the season but starting to hit his straps now he is getting some run in his legs. We are sitting pretty hence Robbo's reaction on the weekend, he knows if the Storm can't beat us at home with so many key players out then come Sept they are no chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X