Attacking Structures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attacking Structures

Reflecting on our performance against the Broncos, I thought our attacking structures were very different to what they have been the past few years. A lot of ball movement, plenty of second-man plays. Was I imagining things or was this our first glimpse of the influence of Adam O'Brien? Perhaps just a once-off game plan designed to exploit the Broncos? It will be interesting to see what unfolds over the coming weeks.

Possibly the influence of O’Brien, but the difference between the attacking movement of teams like us and the storm are so different to the rest of the league. At any play, especially while we are attacking in the opponents 20, all of our players have their heads up, knowing where to run and what to do.

Our attack in years gone by has been somewhat predictable but this year, we seem fluent. And it’s fluency across the park which makes it impressive. Have really enjoyed our attacking footy so far this year, and can’t imagine the strength of it, if we keep improving.

Comment

I think we are clearly playing at a higher tempo in attack, the most visible evidence of this is if you watch us on a penalty there is a genuine attempt to take a quick tap or get the ball out of play promptly. Compared to last year where Cronk would always come in to settle down the side and take a good 20-30 seconds before he would kick it out of play.

I haven't seen enough to suggest yet that there's been a significant change in our structures, I just think there's more developed combinations there with this spine having a full 12 months and 2 pre seasons together.

The only noticeable change IMO early on is we are starting to hit our 2nd rowers more in attack again, real 2013-2015 esque. Have them running unders and overs lines and then doubling up on another crack down the short side after that, last season we were looking for our middles to hit it up either side of the posts and then spread from there. Not sure it has been conducive to getting room for Manu and Latrell though. They've been very cramped when getting the ball this year, might need to go back and tinker.

Comment

I’d be disappointed if we weren’t playing a different structure to what we were playing last year seeing as a new man with diiferent ideas is now in charge of our attack. This year we are an even more entertaining side to watch.

Comment

I thought we were a bit scrappy against the shetlands. We turned over a lot of ball in the middle of the park. Let's face it, the drongos were an absolute rabble. They did manage to bomb four tries. I got the feeling our boys knew they would win easily and tried some razzle-dazzle stuff. Some paid off and some didn't. Against better opposition I hope we respect them and the ball a bit more. I love it when we are clinical.

Comment

I go back to the last 10 mins of the game v Souths where we had to score a lot of points quickly. We were tired and could have thrown caution to the wind and just played off the cuff stuff, but we kept our structures, with options all over the place. Don't know if it's a different structure this year, but whatever it is, we're well drilled.

Comment

i did notice players constantly in motion all aware they could have the ball at anytime? totally screws up the thoughts of the defence!

Comment

Odd. All this talk about Adam and he has been asked for a potential release.
                Knights?

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                  I’d be disappointed if we weren’t playing a different structure to what we were playing last year seeing as a new man with diiferent ideas is now in charge of our attack. This year we are an even more entertaining side to watch.
                  Its more than that, Robbo is too smart not to change. If you don't change you don't keep winning, you get figured out
                  The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                  Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post

Its more than that, Robbo is too smart not to change. If you don't change you don't keep winning, you get figured out
                    and copied too...Other teams are also doing the trapping the ball on grubbers.....If I'm not wrong, I feel we are the only team bringing back the up & under or the team using it most. How retro!

Comment

I think O'Brien may have made some contribution, but I put our improvement down mainly to Cronk who has got them knowing where they need to be and where to get to, plus the growth of combinations and belief in each other, plus we have the most overall talented attacking players in the comp in Keary, Mitchell, Manu and Teddy, all Internationals.

Comment

If teams don't evolve they will not improve. This team can take their game to another level this year and it is exciting to watch!
                        Sickie Lame .... King of Bestiality

Comment

Working...
                        X