Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flipper Hands View Post
    Hmm really? I f'n hope not.
    Fergo was a loose canon of one the worst kinds. He is a pin up in that eventually he got it right after a litany of altercations and clubs. We have failed Latrell if it comes to that for him.

Intelligent design advocates move along - you wont like this.

It's not sport being linked to booze. It's young men. There is a hell of a lot of truth in the saying "boys will be boys". There are tons of studies on young men and risk taking behavior. Its virtually certain that this has been selected for over millions of years. And young women find it attractive. There is virtually no way to control for this behavior completely, it will continue to happen.

Just Google "evolutionary psychology male risk taking behavior"

And it's not just young men, it is males of mammalian, avian, and even reptilian species. Any of you who have worked with animals will know about this first hand. (reference, ex-farm boy here)

In my opinion society has overshot the mark regarding expectations on young men in general. Add in other factors like James Graham's point about the NRL having a demographic like the army or prison, and you have a recipe for extreme risk taking resulting in "bad behavior".

If you take Fergo's example, its classic when you think about it. Takes lots of risks, womanises, finds a lady, has a kid, and "settles down". Its right there in the term "settles down".

The shrill femi-nazis are right about us - we are beasts, but we are beasts designed for them by evolution.

Firstly, the NRL and Media need to stop turning mole hills into mountains everytime there's a minor incident where nothing really happened.

Secondly, I have to agree with some of the comments about alcohol. And throw in drugs as well. Yes sports players are role models but culturally speaking heavy drinking is accepted in many western countries, and in some industries its even encouraged. I've seen it first hand, travelling to the US, England and Japan regularly for work.

I've workied in sales my whole career, currently the IT industry, before that across the financial services sector. For over 15 years I've seen hundreds of incidents involving young sales people (myself included once or twice in my younger days) that were worse than half of what we hear about in the NRL.

Attend any sales conference or head out to any bar in Sydney's CBD on a Friday night and you will see several professionals (still suited and booted after work) who have been served in excessive amounts of alcohol. Above what is deemed acceptable by RSA standards, and aren't policed at all. Many taking drugs. I reckon at least 25% of the sales people I've worked with over my career would admit to using coke at some point in their careers. All of this resulting in several young professionals behaving like idiots inside/outside these venues. And not a single one of them were sacked on Monday morning.

Binge drinking and drugs are the problem, because culturally it's encouraged, and its not isolated to just sportsmen. Until that changes we as society have to accept the consequences of stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post

Firstly, the NRL and Media need to stop turning mole hills into mountains everytime there's a minor incident where nothing really happened.

Secondly, I have to agree with some of the comments about alcohol. And throw in drugs as well. Yes sports players are role models but culturally speaking heavy drinking is accepted in many western countries, and in some industries its even encouraged. I've seen it first hand, travelling to the US, England and Japan regularly for work.

I've workied in sales my whole career, currently the IT industry, before that across the financial services sector. For over 15 years I've seen hundreds of incidents involving young sales people (myself included once or twice in my younger days) that were worse than half of what we hear about in the NRL.

Attend any sales conference or head out to any bar in Sydney's CBD on a Friday night and you will see several professionals (still suited and booted after work) who have been served in excessive amounts of alcohol. Above what is deemed acceptable by RSA standards, and aren't policed at all. Many taking drugs. I reckon at least 25% of the sales people I've worked with over my career would admit to using coke at some point in their careers. All of this resulting in several young professionals behaving like idiots inside/outside these venues. And not a single one of them were sacked on Monday morning.

Binge drinking and drugs are the problem, because culturally it's encouraged, and its not isolated to just sportsmen. Until that changes we as society have to accept the consequences of stupidity
      Sports players in general are not role models, you believe this because the NRL and the media circus keeps saying it. Martin Luther King is a role model. Fred Hollows is a role model. Stephen Hawking is a role model. Marie Curie is a role model. Very few sportspeople are. Why should I look up to a person half my age because he is good at throwing a ball? Really?

Sounds like your carer is a mirror image of mine, except I have another 20 years of it on you. The stories I could tell about booze and work..... Anyway, I agree with your points. I guess I was aiming my thesis at what I believe is the root of the behaviour (risk taking). Alchohol and drugs are manifestations of that behaviour that happen to magnify it.

The NRL will not stop their excessive and out of proportion responses while users of social media squeak and moan about a players dodgy night out, and the NRL's brand and financial position is threatened.

Originally posted by jism
      I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

I see souffs making a massive play for Lats, if GI retires.
        The family club.

Walker, Gagai, burns, turner

Comment

Every and any club would have a stab at getting Lats.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
            I see souffs making a massive play for Lats, if GI retires.
            The family club.

Walker, Gagai, burns, turner
            I would be very surprised if Latrell went there. They treated his dad like shit
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
              Involved in an altercation in a bar back in Taree.

https://7news.com.au/news/nsw/nrl-pl...edium=referral
              He responded well tonight, 13 runs for 146 meters is one of his better running efforts, 3 offloads, 8 tackles and 14 points. He still had a few suspect moments but overall much n
              better energy and effort.

Comment

Should get kicked out of pubs more often if that is the way he responds.

Seriously though what a talent he is. Has there ever been a more gifted athlete in footy than this guy? He has it all. Like what Artie Beetson could have been without the pies and with the benefit of modern sports science

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

I call BS. Last chance? Are you saying that Latrell has a history of off-field misdemeanours?

Maybe we need an exorcist.
                  Let's not put a dampener on a great night.

Comment

Thats my boy......
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Couple of absolutely brilliant moments last night, and great goal kicking, all round huge contribution and great to see, he is a freak, really looking forward to seeing him against Melbourne next week.

Comment

Latrell really picked up his game last night. He is starting to get back to last years form. That try he scored was his first for the year. He should only get better from now on. One thing I did notice is after his try and the goal he we really sucking in the air. Maybe he’s not quite as fit as he could be. I’m sure he will only get better as the year goes on.

Comment

Working...
                        X