• Rabbitoh meaning!!!

rabbitoh
    /ˈrabɪtəʊ/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    DATED•AUSTRALIAN
    1. a person who sells rabbits as food.
      "the rabbitoh would skin them for customers on the spot”

So these fools also known as the Rabbits or Bunnies when there actual name means “A person who slaughters Rabbits”
    haha GOLD!!!

Well i'll tell you more on that......to make a few extra dollars in the depression years the Souths players would walk the streets in their jerseys with carts of rabbits to sell. To draw attention they would sing out "Rabbitoh,get your Rabbitoh". When they got a customer they would skin the rabbit and end up with blood and fur on their jersey-which they didn't wash before playing,so they would stink.....and their opponents would give them shit by screaming out "Rabbitoh".....and of course the name stuck.

So yes it's ironic that a Rabbitoh is a person who sells rabbits for food and probably more ironic that the person killing the rabbits were Souths players. Having said that the Roosters run out with Steggles as their major sponsor- a company that makes its money slaughtering roosters (and hens).

In the end as much as we hate Souths and they hate us, there's no doubt the 2 clubs are the greatest in Australian rugby league history and should never be forced to merge or relocate. I mean my highlight of 2018 was beating Souths to get in the grand final....winning the GF was just a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post
      Well i'll tell you more on that......to make a few extra dollars in the depression years the Souths players would walk the streets in their jerseys with carts of rabbits to sell. To draw attention they would sing out "Rabbitoh,get your Rabbitoh". When they got a customer they would skin the rabbit and end up with blood and fur on their jersey-which they didn't wash before playing,so they would stink.....and their opponents would give them shit by screaming out "Rabbitoh".....and of course the name stuck.

So yes it's ironic that a Rabbitoh is a person who sells rabbits for food and probably more ironic that the person killing the rabbits were Souths players. Having said that the Roosters run out with Steggles as their major sponsor- a company that makes its money slaughtering roosters (and hens).

In the end as much as we hate Souths and they hate us, there's no doubt the 2 clubs are the greatest in Australian rugby league history and should never be forced to merge or relocate. I mean my highlight of 2018 was beating Souths to get in the grand final....winning the GF was just a bonus!!
      Great post.
      I get as much joy as anyone from beating Souths, but I'm respectful of their history.

Comment

As a young boy Living in Paddo in the 1950's I remember my Nan buying rabbits from a Rabbitoh, which is what the sellers were called, who drove a horse drawn cart into our street , Norfolk Street, off Glenmore Road, on a weekly basis. He used to call out Rabbitoh while driving the cart and was very popular. We normally had rabbit in some kind of stew and it was delicious. This post makes me remember how much better life was those many years ago. Maybe a symbol of this relates to how we named our footy teams back then, they didn't have to have MACHO names like Warriors, Storm, Hurricanes which have no real connection to the area, Imagine a NEW footy team calling themselves the Berries or Bluebags or Eels, or Cherry pickers, or Canaries these days, all of these are famous names from yesteryear which were worn proudly. Like toe Roosters, because we are from the EAST, where the sun rises. and the Rooster crows at sunrise.

Comment

Good story but it reinforces the notion that a good Rabbit is s gutted and skinned one!

Comment

St George was a dragon slayer

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
              As a young boy Living in Paddo in the 1950's I remember my Nan buying rabbits from a Rabbitoh, which is what the sellers were called, who drove a horse drawn cart into our street , Norfolk Street, off Glenmore Road, on a weekly basis. He used to call out Rabbitoh while driving the cart and was very popular. We normally had rabbit in some kind of stew and it was delicious. This post makes me remember how much better life was those many years ago. Maybe a symbol of this relates to how we named our footy teams back then, they didn't have to have MACHO names like Warriors, Storm, Hurricanes which have no real connection to the area, Imagine a NEW footy team calling themselves the Berries or Bluebags or Eels, or Cherry pickers, or Canaries these days, all of these are famous names from yesteryear which were worn proudly. Like toe Roosters, because we are from the EAST, where the sun rises. and the Rooster crows at sunrise.
              I for one would love to hear more of your stories from your time growing up in Paddo back then. I am a little later growing up in the 60s in Bondi Junction. I can remember a much quieter time back then. Life was simpler. Going to the Footy with Dad was a highlight of the week. Sunday afternoon was the best. By the 70s going to Easts after the game was always the best. Lining up at the Buffet for a Sunday Roast to finish off a great day. Good times. Oh, the memories!

Comment

Great bit of local history Random Rooster - we need to capture this sort of stuff for our clubs history from our older members.

This is a great site if anyone wants to delve into the history of our game.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/t...s/summary.html

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
                  Great. I grew in Maroubra but thanks to a Roosters legend I escaped the claws of the bunnies to become a roosters fan...

by the the way I read you live in Brisbane now? Where abouts? I live in Wynnum.

Comment

With all the wild rabbits in this country I wonder why it isn’t an Australian dish...mind you I don’t think I have ever had rabbit, or maybe once in the late 70s. We were more of a beef eating family.

Comment

Originally posted by GrubBER View Post
                      rabbitoh
                      /ˈrabɪtəʊ/
                      Learn to pronounce
                      noun
                      DATED•AUSTRALIAN
                      1. a person who sells rabbits as food.
                        "the rabbitoh would skin them for customers on the spot”

So these fools also known as the Rabbits or Bunnies when there actual name means “A person who slaughters Rabbits”
                      haha GOLD!!!
                      I thought it meant "a person who falls down in fright and shakes at the sight of a Rooster".

Comment

When did he mascots get attributed to team?
                        50’s..? ..60’s?

I thought we got the Roosters because we were the tricolours which were the same colours as the French whose mascot was the Cockerel or le Coq
                        ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

From Wikipedia

Birth of a Rooster

For much of the first half of the 20th century, the Eastern Suburbs club was known colloquially as the "Tricolours" after the club colours of red, white and blue. Occasionally, the club was also referred to as the "Beachsiders" or the "Seasiders". In the 1960s, adopting a new playing strip that consisted of a V-shaped design similar to that of the popular French teams who also wore red, white, and blue, the Eastern Suburbs club became known as the Roosters. This was due to the similarities of the French team jersey, which displayed a cock badge on their jersey.

However it is contested by fans of the day that the rooster was associated with the football club decades earlier. This claim is strengthened by newspapers in the 1930s depicting photos of a rooster-top weather vane pointing eastward when publishing articles on the Sydney Roosters. The explanation given being that Eastern Suburbs being in the east, is where the sun would rise hence where the rooster would crow first. The football club itself has neither confirmed or denied both origins of the rooster mascot although the first mentioned origin is generally the wider accepted one amongst the rugby league community.

..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Lol@souffs

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

Great. I grew in Maroubra but thanks to a Roosters legend I escaped the claws of the bunnies to become a roosters fan...

by the the way I read you live in Brisbane now? Where abouts? I live in Wynnum.
                              Yes mate I am in Thornlands, still in the EAST like you, because it makes sense to be near the water. Retired now and playing more golf at Redland Bay.

Comment

Working...
                              X