• SCG surface look crap

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...-reds/10887164

I hope we don't pick up injuries....

I watched that game, the scrums looked like they were playing in sand

Comment

Very concerning development....

Comment

soft surface.

image sandcrap after the news ltd money grab round and then the following round we are up there.
        1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Get used to it... got a bad feeling we are in the SCG for good... we got screwed in the stadium deal.
          My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
          My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

If the SCG surface is not up to scratch, what's the alternative? No way should an NRL game be played on that surface.

Comment

They're replacing the turf as we speak. Hopefully it's okay by Fri.

Turf issues aside, which you'd figure won't be an ongoing problem, I'm looking forward to turning up at the SCG. I loved going there in the 70s. It mightn't be the best ground for viewing League, but it has great atmosphere. And the link with League's history is good, too.

I'm just grateful that we've got a team that we can support, a team that does well. This team has just won the comp ffs, so if you don't turn up and support them because you're worried about being an extra 20m from the action you're a woos.

If we had full houses every week, I'd be just as happy to watch it from home. The reason I turn up is because it's part of the contract - the team gives its all/the fans turn up. Simples.

Comment

Roosters Club should refuse to play on that surface. Our squillion dollar talent could well get injured.
                Sandy Campbell broke/wrecked his leg when running flat out and being baulked.
                Stepping in a pot hole at pace at the SCG could well see the same thing happen to any of our players.

That surface is ridiculous!

Games should be transferred to North Sydney oval, or Central Coast, or an ANZ double header, Henson Park, Kogarah, Shark Park, Panthers heaven...anywhere but the SCG.

Comment

Wonder what the surface will be like for league? Yawnion seemed to rip it up mainly due to scrums... but presumably due to rucks and mauls as well.

Teddy's pretty exicited about it being a 'fast' surface so I suspect it's gonna be better for league than it is for yawnion. AFL's played on it and they've never had issues. One could almost argue that league is closer to AFL in that it's more of a running game rather than a scrummaging game.

As a runner, IMO it's doubtful that a soft, sandy surface is gonna increase the liklihood of injuries as there will be more cushioning for knees...etc (I used to train on the sandy park outside the SCG rather than ES Marks during my pre-season for that reason). Not sure why sandy equals 'fast' either? Fast as in more sliding? A hard surface is always 'faster' for running. I presume Teddy means quicker lateral movements because you don't stick into the turf and it's easier on your knees so you can do lots of goosies and stuff without risking your knees.

I hope we don't start sounding like cricket players and blaming the turf every week. Gaaawd that gets boring!!! 'Oh India beat us because the pitch in India was sub-par'. FFS toughen up... they had the same conditions and adapted better than you softies!!!

Comment

The Chooks are supposed to be training on the SCG on Wednesday. Hope that still happens cause it would test the surface and then we would have a better idea of whether it’s safe to play on. Let’s hope all goes well otherwise not sure what will happen. I have my season ticket and as many others can’t wait to go for this first game. In saying that, I wouldn’t want to see injuries because the surface failed.

Comment

I think the reason why it's 'fast' and why it could help our brand of football is because it has good drainage, so dew/rain etc won't be a problem.

Also, once we get used to the odd angles, we'll have an advantage over other teams who don't play there every second week. That will especially favour our kickers.

Comment

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tru...10-p5132x.html

Comment

They’re discussing the surface and the fat controller plugs his team....

"South Sydney has so much history and success at the SCG and, having seen the field and the turf management plans, we are confident there will be thousands of Rabbitohs fans cheering on their team on Friday night," Souths general manager Shane Richardson said.
                          Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                            They're replacing the turf as we speak. Hopefully it's okay by Fri.

Turf issues aside, which you'd figure won't be an ongoing problem, I'm looking forward to turning up at the SCG. I loved going there in the 70s. It mightn't be the best ground for viewing League, but it has great atmosphere. And the link with League's history is good, too.

I'm just grateful that we've got a team that we can support, a team that does well. This team has just won the comp ffs, so if you don't turn up and support them because you're worried about being an extra 20m from the action you're a woos.

If we had full houses every week, I'd be just as happy to watch it from home. The reason I turn up is because it's part of the contract - the team gives its all/the fans turn up. Simples.
                            Love your post. My 72 year old Dad who has attended hundreds of games with me hasn’t been to the SCG since the 70s. So I’m looking forward to going with him and my boys.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                              Wonder what the surface will be like for league? Yawnion seemed to rip it up mainly due to scrums... but presumably due to rucks and mauls as well.

Teddy's pretty exicited about it being a 'fast' surface so I suspect it's gonna be better for league than it is for yawnion. AFL's played on it and they've never had issues. One could almost argue that league is closer to AFL in that it's more of a running game rather than a scrummaging game.

As a runner, IMO it's doubtful that a soft, sandy surface is gonna increase the liklihood of injuries as there will be more cushioning for knees...etc (I used to train on the sandy park outside the SCG rather than ES Marks during my pre-season for that reason). Not sure why sandy equals 'fast' either? Fast as in more sliding? A hard surface is always 'faster' for running. I presume Teddy means quicker lateral movements because you don't stick into the turf and it's easier on your knees so you can do lots of goosies and stuff without risking your knees.

I hope we don't start sounding like cricket players and blaming the turf every week. Gaaawd that gets boring!!! 'Oh India beat us because the pitch in India was sub-par'. FFS toughen up... they had the same conditions and adapted better than you softies!!!
                              This

Comment

Working...
                              X