Who's had enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
    I've been very disappointed in the RPLA whining on about the player's rights and lost employment opportunities and threatening legal action. Bring on the legal action - these players have broken every behavioural clause in their NRL contract for being charged in the first place and the NRL could always deregister them.
    What about SKD & Brett Stewart, who btw were set up - did they break every behavioural clause in their contracts just by being charged?

Also, the whole point of the RLPA - or any player's association - is to "whine" about the players rights.

That's akin to accusing a Union of whining about workers rights. It's actually more than akin; it's the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

Pretty much.

There still has to be a presumption of innocence, but if you're accused of a serious offence, public outcry is understandable and a 'no fault' standing down is not crazy. Not sure I'm convinced, but it's not crazy.

But the NRL's stance on minor matters like the Mitchell Pearce case, for example, was all about public perception and put the bar way too high. They should have seen it as a privacy issue and pointed the finger at the real culprit - the people who leaked the video.
      It wasn't his idiocy by dryhumping the dog, it was taking the junior players out after curfew that cost him the time and the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post

It wasn't his idiocy by dryhumping the dog, it was taking the junior players out after curfew that cost him the time and the money.
        Yeah? The NRL fined him a million dollars and banned him for a million games because he took 'the junior players out after curfew'?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

lol.. NFL players get done for drugs, assaults all the time, sometimes shootings and even murder..
          Ok perhaps in my excitement what I was trying to say is that the coverage of players getting into trouble, ‘including’ that of NFL players is not as ‘loud’ in other countries as it is here. I did say that I don’t believe they are good boys, but I just don’t hear about it as much. Perhaps NFL players was a wrong choice because when they get into shit they make our footy bad boys look like choirboys.

In essence, I think our media and followed by social media want to see a sportsman hung and convicted before all the evidence is heard in court. eg SKD, B Stewart and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

Fair enough. If I'm living under one, please enlighten me with who has been done this week, or last week. I need to be informed. Thanks Flipper.
            Pretty sure you are loaded up on troll bait, but I bit anyway. Here's one I spotted today.

Front page of ESPN
            http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...used-lewd-acts

Ex-player as well, no mercy over there.

Even the Aussies get no space, Hayne and Gotsis have both been accessed of rape, and gotten significant coverage here and over there,
            Originally posted by ism22;n764344
            I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

Ok perhaps in my excitement what I was trying to say is that the coverage of players getting into trouble, ‘including’ that of NFL players is not as ‘loud’ in other countries as it is here. I did say that I don’t believe they are good boys, but I just don’t hear about it as much. Perhaps NFL players was a wrong choice because when they get into shit they make our footy bad boys look like choirboys.

In essence, I think our media and followed by social media want to see a sportsman hung and convicted before all the evidence is heard in court. eg SKD, B Stewart and so on.
              Mate, I reckon it's all part of the impact of the echo chamber that is social media. These platforms like Tweeter, Instawhore, and Facepalm have algorithms that keep track of likes, how long you stay on a page, and all,kinds of crazy stat's that you likely wouldn't believe. It's all geared around screen time, to sell ads. So these algorithms are design to exploit basic human feedback loops. All the modern media outlets have regeared to sell this way. And they do It with none of the journalistic integrity of the old media (you report, not create).

And it turns out that one of the most effective loops is about outrage. So if you want people to read something, to sell ads, print some thing outrageous, or polarising.

There are few media outlets that are resisting this by continuing to perform high quality well researched unbiased journalism.

An example. How many articles did we see talking about SDK's acquittal for his domestic violence case compared to the number of articles on his arrest, court case and so on? Both are equally newsworthy aspects of the same case, yet the acquittal barely got a mention.

In summary, they appeal to the most basic aspects of what makes us Homo Sapiens to sell stuff.This is global, this is business these days. "digitisation", for better or worse.

Anyway. Sorry for resorting to what might sound like a rant.
              Last edited by Flipper Hands; 03-06-2019, 07:56 PM.
              Originally posted by ism22;n764344
              I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper Hands View Post

Mate, I reckon it's all part of the impact of the echo chamber that is social media. These platforms like Tweeter, Instawhore, and Facepalm have algorithms that keep track of likes, how long you stay on a page, and all,kinds of crazy stat's that you likely wouldn't believe. It's all geared around screen time, to sell ads. So these algorithms are design to exploit basic human feedback loops. All the modern media outlets have regeared to sell this way. And they do It with none of the journalistic integrity of the old media (you report, not create).

And it turns out that one of the most effective loops is about outrage. So if you want people to read something, to sell ads, print some thing outrageous, or polarising.

There are few media outlets that are resisting this by continuing to perform high quality well researched unbiased journalism.

An example. How many articles did we see talking about SDK's acquittal for his domestic violence case compared to the number of articles on his arrest, court case and so on? Both are equally newsworthy aspects of the same case, yet the acquittal barely got a mention.

In summary, they appeal to the most basic aspects of what makes us Homo Sapiens to sell stuff.This is global, this is business these days. "digitisation", for better or worse.

Anyway. Sorry for resorting to what might sound like a rant.
                Well I’m enlightened ! Like I said earlier, perhaps the NFL is not or was not a good example... My bad! Now I could say that this doesn’t happen in world soccer, or rugby but rather than put my foot in it, I’ll leave it to that... it’s time to talk footy with one week to go.. thanks Flipper!

Comment

I will never walk away from the sport I love the most nor the Roosters. But, I have had a gutful of the almost daily reports of misbehaving NRL players.

I just want the footy to start again and cannot wait for round 1.
                  Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

NRL says it has lost $500,000 in sponsorship because of all these alleged/proven incidents....and could lose more.

Players must not put themselves in a position to possibly be found out/accused and charged by the cops?...guilty or innocent.
                    Players stood down are still on full pay.
                    "He who pays the piper calls the tune".
                    NRL is the one paying the piper...so it calls the tune.

Comment

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...&OCID=AVRES000

Jack de Belin sues NRL over new rules that see players facing serious criminal charges stood down

Troubled player Jack de Belin is suing the National Rugby League (NRL) for standing him down, and demanding it pay for "corrective advertising" to clear his reputation.

The 27-year-old was charged over the alleged aggravated sexual assault in company of a 19-year-old woman in Wollongong after a night out in December.

#####

So off they go to the courts.

Any lawyers here?
                      deBelin and his co-accused face life in prison if convicted? [under laws changed after the Skaf rapes of 2000.]

Comment

The NRL are that thick they stand down players when the policy they stand them down under has not yet been ratified. Laughable really
                        Until the philosophy which holds on race superior and another inferior Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned then everywhere is war That until there is no longer 1st class or 2nd class citizens of any nation. Until the colour of a mans skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes. Then its a war. That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race Then its a war
                        Haile Selassie

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                          The NRL are that thick they stand down players when the policy they stand them down under has not yet been ratified. Laughable really
                          Totally agree mr walker. Only the nrl.......
                          Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

This offseason has been one the most painful offseason media coverages i can remember.

The NRL and the media have tried to turn into a reality TV soap opera.

for the players who done the wrong thing they need to deal with the consequences.

But as for the NRL and the extended playoffs, etc.

i will let my spokesman Iggy sum it up. take it away Iggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                              IMO they've done the maths and figured that even if they get sued, there will be no significant financial loss to the NRL.

Remember, de Belin is on full pay and can continue to train... so what's the quantum of his damages if he were to sue them for that?

SKD wasn't suspended... he just wasn't mentally fit to play.

I dunno what the grounds for his Federal Court application are but I suspect he's wanting to play rather than to get $$$. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Remember, de Belin is on full pay and can continue to train... so what's the quantum of his damages if he were to sue them for that?

SKD wasn't suspended... he just wasn't mentally fit to play.
                                Also, the dragons didn’t stand him down and de Belin didn’t himself either.
                                But you’d hardly want to play being accused of that and the heckling you’d receive. Especially if you were a winger like SKD. You would cop all day in earshot on the sideline rather than the middle were De Belin would be.

I remember Dale Shearer copping it hard in the 80’s

Get out of the way, I'm next

Comment

Working...
                                X