X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latrell Mitchell reveals why he knocked back Roosters for All Stars

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
    February 1, 2019 11:02am
    He agonised over it for a month, but NRL star Latrell Mitchell has “followed his heart” and withdrawn from the Sydney Roosters’ side to play Wigan in this month’s prestigious World Club Challenge.

An international scheduling double-up left Mitchell with having to choose to fly to England for the clash between the NRL and Super League champions, or play in the All Stars match in Melbourne.

The Roosters play English champions Wigan at the DW Stadium on Sunday, February 17, two days after the first revamped All Stars match featuring Indigenous and Maori teams at AAMI Park.

Mitchell contacted Roosters coach Trent Robinson on Wednesday to reveal he just couldn’t turn his back on his indigenous brothers. “I just followed my heart,” Mitchell told The Daily Telegraph.

“I was looking for people to make the decision for me, it was so hard. My old man (Matt) was in my ear. I was so passionate about both teams.

“My heart just said play for the All Stars and get amongst my culture.

“I just love being around my culture and wanted to give back to the community. I want to be with other brothers like myself and enjoy the week. I want to rip in and then go into the season fresh and ready to play.”

Mitchell’s decision is a significant blow for the Roosters, who are up against four-time WCC winners Wigan. The club was desperate for Mitchell to play in the match, but were supportive of him honouring his indigenous heritage.

“Trent and the Roosters left it up to me. It was hard — I wanted to represent both but I had to pick one and went with All Stars,” Mitchell said. “I love the Roosters, that’s home. I want to play for them if I can until the day I die.

“I was stuck in between. The decision probably took me three to four weeks. I wanted to represent the Roosters but also represent my culture as well. I just thought the All Stars would be the best way to do that.

“I know the Roosters boys are ready to go to England and rip in. I have spoken to a few of them and they have told me to go and represent my culture so I’m pretty happy with the decision I made.”
    Mitchell’s manager, Steve Deacon, added: “It was Latrell’s call. My understanding is that the Roosters wanted him to go, obviously, but they wouldn’t stand in his way if he wanted to play for the Indigenous team. Latrell does have some strong indigenous ties.”

Roosters teammate Jared Waerea-Hargreaves confronted the same dilemma when he was named in the Maori side, but he elected to travel to England.

Fans were asked to select the All Stars teams through the NRL’s website. The Daily Telegraph obtained the two teams last night ahead of today’s official announcement.

The Indigenous side includes Ben Barba, Blake Ferguson, James Roberts, Josh Addo-Carr, Andrew Fifita and Tyrone Peachey. The Roosters leave for Europe early next week to contest the WCC. The NRL premiers will spend a week in Paris training with and against coach Trent Robinson’s former club, Toulouse, before heading to the north of England.

Robinson hasn’t yet announced his side but it is expected star players Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco will be named. The only Rooster unavailable will be English recruit, Ryan Hall, who continues to recover from an ACL injury.

It is understood South Sydney centre Dane Gagai has opted to represent the Maori team ahead of the Indigenous side. He was eligible for both. The Maoris and Indigenous sides will play for the Arthur Beetson trophy.

Good on him - the WCC isn't the be all and end all. Plus it gives an opportunity for someone else.

This in particular I like:

Mitchell said. "“I love the Roosters, that’s home. I want to play for them if I can until the day I die".
    "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

Fair enough...I retract my former comments questioning his call.

He's a good lad.
      B2B is right on track.

Comment

Can’t argue with that...
        Red, White and Bluesters!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post

This in particular I like:

Mitchell said. "“I love the Roosters, that’s home. I want to play for them if I can until the day I die".
          If this makes Latrel happy and "helps" him stay at Easts till he retires, I have no problem. Getting Latrel's head right has been his only drama in his short career, the talent has always been there. Keep Latrel happy is beneficial for both player and club.

Comment

if we fly him to Perth theres a direct Qantas b787/900 flight to London 17 hours in the air, giving him a day to recover after playing in Australia? im sure we could put up for a business class seat for him plus a total reinvigorate refresh rehydrate course for him both on board etc.. if that occurs hell be jumping out of his skin, might sleep a bit in the uk before returning to Sydney where we can then rest him from the trials v manly! food for thought? how about Angus Crighton partnering Mau in the centers, hews a rugby union centre has some toe can defend and kick.?
            Last edited by stephenj; 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

With no Latrell, and Fergo gone. SST only on the field for half the match ...wonder who will be kicking goals when SST is off the field ?

Comment

Onto the allstars game....

I heard Benny Barba has really been smashing it at training....smashing literally everything and everyone.......
                Originally posted by The Axe View Post
                Very easy to understand Zac so I'll spell it out. Bondi Boy wants Menzies to reincarnate and run the labour party.
                Meanwhile ISM is out looking for Harold Holt and a dingo with a snorkel an digging holes in Griffith wearing an Al Grassby tie

Comment

Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post
                  Onto the allstars game....

I heard Benny Barba has really been smashing it at training....smashing literally everything and everyone.......
                  Read about it. What a hypocritical fark. I mean, especially with all of the bad incidents which have happened over the course of the preseason, and with all that Barba has said since the signing, you’d think he’d try and stay out of that kind of trouble. imbecile
                  "Astroturf? You know who's responsible for that, don't you?! The Jews! Ah, the Jews hate grass. They always have, they always will."

George Costanza (Jason Alexander), Seinfeld

Comment

Perhaps we could sign Benny for the rest of the year? He is now immediately available!

Comment

Barba's career is over.

The only thing he's available for is a court appearance and then community service.

Meanwhile Latrell continues to be a beacon for the Indigenous community. What a legend and I'm happy for him that he wants to represent his people. We'll still win.

Comment

What did he do.. allegedly?
                        B2B is right on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                          What did he do.. allegedly?
                          https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...q1rt5i2a4f4990
                          "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

Oh...doesn't sound good esp if the Cowboys have booted him immediately.

Good on them for being decisive and just not trying to protect their own interests.
                            B2B is right on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Oh...doesn't sound good esp if the Cowboys have booted him immediately.

Good on them for being decisive and just not trying to protect their own interests.
                              Might open the door for Val Holmes to walk straight into their #1 jersey.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Fatal error: Uncaught Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM cacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_774184_lvl1data','node_774184_lvl3data','vB_UserPerms3489','vBUserRep_3489','vBAtchmnts_774184','getSearchResults_571a4c2d546107fa26febb2400fc13b6','vB_UserPerms51','vBAtchmnts_774185','vBAtchmnts_774186','vBAtchmnts_774188','vBAtchmnts_774189','vBAtchmnts_774192','vBAtchmnts_774196','vBAtchmnts_774208','vBAtchmnts_774210','vBAtchmnts_774211','vBAtchmnts_774212','vBAtchmnts_774216','vBAtchmnts_774217','vBAtchmnts_774220','vBAtchmnts_774223','node_774185_lvl3data','node_774186_lvl3data','node_774188_lvl3data','node_774189_lvl3data','node_774192_lvl3data','node_774196_lvl3data','node_774208_lvl3data','node_774210_lvl3data','node_774211_lvl3data','node_774212_lvl3data','node_774216_lvl3data','node_774217_lvl3data','node_774220_lvl3data','node_774223_lvl3data','node_774185_lvl1data','node_774186_lvl1data','node_774188_lvl1data','node_774189_lvl1data','node_774192_lvl1data','node_774196_lvl1data','node_774208_lvl1data','node in /home/thechook/public_html/vb5/core/vb/database.php on line 1189