X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latrell Mitchell reveals why he knocked back Roosters for All Stars

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
    February 1, 2019 11:02am
    He agonised over it for a month, but NRL star Latrell Mitchell has “followed his heart” and withdrawn from the Sydney Roosters’ side to play Wigan in this month’s prestigious World Club Challenge.

An international scheduling double-up left Mitchell with having to choose to fly to England for the clash between the NRL and Super League champions, or play in the All Stars match in Melbourne.

The Roosters play English champions Wigan at the DW Stadium on Sunday, February 17, two days after the first revamped All Stars match featuring Indigenous and Maori teams at AAMI Park.

Mitchell contacted Roosters coach Trent Robinson on Wednesday to reveal he just couldn’t turn his back on his indigenous brothers. “I just followed my heart,” Mitchell told The Daily Telegraph.

“I was looking for people to make the decision for me, it was so hard. My old man (Matt) was in my ear. I was so passionate about both teams.

“My heart just said play for the All Stars and get amongst my culture.

“I just love being around my culture and wanted to give back to the community. I want to be with other brothers like myself and enjoy the week. I want to rip in and then go into the season fresh and ready to play.”

Mitchell’s decision is a significant blow for the Roosters, who are up against four-time WCC winners Wigan. The club was desperate for Mitchell to play in the match, but were supportive of him honouring his indigenous heritage.

“Trent and the Roosters left it up to me. It was hard — I wanted to represent both but I had to pick one and went with All Stars,” Mitchell said. “I love the Roosters, that’s home. I want to play for them if I can until the day I die.

“I was stuck in between. The decision probably took me three to four weeks. I wanted to represent the Roosters but also represent my culture as well. I just thought the All Stars would be the best way to do that.

“I know the Roosters boys are ready to go to England and rip in. I have spoken to a few of them and they have told me to go and represent my culture so I’m pretty happy with the decision I made.”
    Mitchell’s manager, Steve Deacon, added: “It was Latrell’s call. My understanding is that the Roosters wanted him to go, obviously, but they wouldn’t stand in his way if he wanted to play for the Indigenous team. Latrell does have some strong indigenous ties.”

Roosters teammate Jared Waerea-Hargreaves confronted the same dilemma when he was named in the Maori side, but he elected to travel to England.

Fans were asked to select the All Stars teams through the NRL’s website. The Daily Telegraph obtained the two teams last night ahead of today’s official announcement.

The Indigenous side includes Ben Barba, Blake Ferguson, James Roberts, Josh Addo-Carr, Andrew Fifita and Tyrone Peachey. The Roosters leave for Europe early next week to contest the WCC. The NRL premiers will spend a week in Paris training with and against coach Trent Robinson’s former club, Toulouse, before heading to the north of England.

Robinson hasn’t yet announced his side but it is expected star players Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco will be named. The only Rooster unavailable will be English recruit, Ryan Hall, who continues to recover from an ACL injury.

It is understood South Sydney centre Dane Gagai has opted to represent the Maori team ahead of the Indigenous side. He was eligible for both. The Maoris and Indigenous sides will play for the Arthur Beetson trophy.

• Kelby
    replied
    Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
    Big Latrell is leading the war dance. Legend at 21.

Massive respect. Huge honour. Well worth the decision to stay
    Legend. Good on you Mitchell.

Leave a comment:

• The Skeez
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkone View Post

Guaranteed a few beers after the All Stars....fer sure

Sounds cynical but I hope he stays out of trouble post match
    What about over in England?
    I am sure they’ll be smashing beers all night over there too.

Leave a comment:

• Darkone
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
    Fair enough...I retract my former comments questioning his call.

He's a good lad.
    Guaranteed a few beers after the All Stars....fer sure

Sounds cynical but I hope he stays out of trouble post match

Leave a comment:

• The Skeez
    replied
    Big Latrell is leading the war dance. Legend at 21.

Massive respect. Huge honour. Well worth the decision to stay

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Originally posted by 007 View Post
    Joseph Manu for mine is a bigger concern. I certainly hope not but I can see the Warriors throwing big bikkies at him.
    More reason to extend both of them early in the year before the vultures start circling.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Joseph Manu for mine is a bigger concern. I certainly hope not but I can see the Warriors throwing big bikkies at him.

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

If the Roosters want Latrell then he will be going nowhere. Completely different circumstances to RTS.
    You are probably right. Also, after what happened with RTS I’d say it was a huge learning curve for the powers that be at the Chooks and it will never happen again.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
    I'd kill myself if Crowe signed Latrell.
    You'd be much better off killing Crowe!

Leave a comment:

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
    Roosters need to start negotiating early this year to again extend Latrell and Joeys contracts before the vultures get a look in. Especially Latrell. We know he loves the Roosters but sometimes a big money offer is hard to knock back. Remember RTS!
    If the Roosters want Latrell then he will be going nowhere. Completely different circumstances to RTS.

Leave a comment:

• RoosterChick
    replied
    Roosters need to start negotiating early this year to again extend Latrell and Joeys contracts before the vultures get a look in. Especially Latrell. We know he loves the Roosters but sometimes a big money offer is hard to knock back. Remember RTS!

Leave a comment:

• The Brain
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
    What about Finch?
    close....FoFF

Leave a comment:

• Tommy Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by The Brain View Post
    Most fun player to watch since Artie did his thing.
    What about Finch?

Leave a comment:

• The Brain
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

Can't see him leaving.
    Me neither..Cap has a say one day in this.
    It would devastate me.Most fun player to watch since Artie did his thing.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Tobin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
    I'd kill myself if Crowe signed Latrell.
    Can't see him leaving.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X