Jwh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stsae View Post

Imagine trying to run the footy and not only were teams only separated by 5 metres but at any given moment an elbow could strike you down often unpenalised and encouraged. Swinging arms were practiced. Knee to the head. Trodden on as you try to get up. The violence was graphic and real.

I could easily say that the buff metros of today’s game wouldn’t survive five minutes of their debut game cos they would wake up in a nursing home.

In fact they probably wouldn’t survive under sevens.

But no I wouldn’t insult them in that way.

A Tommy Rediculous is a dinosaur but when you saw those blokes mix it with the Dallas Donnoleys or Les Boyds it’s huge respect baby.

So for Artie to be able to be so skilled and still as tough as anyone made him special.

And it’s Winnie reds Jizzy, man ciggies.

Yeah but it was all unfit white guys who you were up against in those days. The rules you speak of suited the day because people weren't very fit or strong. It was like watching a Joeys v Kings 1st XV match... except with less fit, weaker players (I say 1st XV because it was closer to rugby in those days - all the things you speak of are just how rugby's played... which is why it's so shyte to watch!!) If you want dog shots then amateur rugby's where it's all at!!! You'll farking come home with stud marks all over your face and body every time. This isn't tough, it's just scrappy, amateur shyte.

The rules for league changed for the better and it's now tougher than ever because you're up against trained killing machines rather than a bunch of grubby, durry munching garbos from the local pub. I would much prefer to cop a dog shot from Monty Porter than one of Napa or Taumalolo's legit tackles.

And yeah... good luck to some 1960's, fat (or lanky - they all had chicken legs back then!!!) durry mucher from the pub who chooses to do a dog shot on Taumalolo or throws a straight arm tackle at him. He'd break your ribs... politely and within the rules of the game. That's the crux of it. Players from the 1960s would not be medically fit to play NRL and would get serious injuries from every single hit they copped. If you get my gist... dog moves and sucker punches are just what happens in junior rugby. Fark you Monty ya grub I'd say!!! Getting hit in a way that doctors who don't know otherwise would think you've been in a high speed motorcycle crash? Only good news is you wouldn't remember it happening.
    Last edited by ism22; 01-24-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yeah but it was all unfit white guys who you were up against in those days. The rules you speak of suited the day because people weren't very fit or strong. It was like watching a Joeys v Kings 1st XV match... except with less fit, weaker players (I say 1st XV because it was closer to rugby in those days - all the things you speak of are just how rugby's played... which is why it's so shyte to watch!!) If you want dog shots then amateur rugby's where it's all at!!! You'll farking come home with stud marks all over your face and body every time. This isn't tough, it's just scrappy, amateur shyte.

The rules for league changed for the better and it's now tougher than ever because you're up against trained killing machines rather than a bunch of grubby, durry munching garbos from the local pub. I would much prefer to cop a dog shot from Monty Porter than one of Napa or Taumalolo's legit tackles.

And yeah... good luck to some 1960's, fat (or lanky - they all had chicken legs back then!!!) durry mucher from the pub who chooses to do a dog shot on Taumalolo or throws a straight arm tackle at him. He'd break your ribs... politely and within the rules of the game. That's the crux of it. Players from the 1960s would not be medically fit to play NRL and would get serious injuries from every single hit they copped. If you get my gist... dog moves and sucker punches are just what happens in junior rugby. Fark you Monty ya grub I'd say!!! Getting hit in a way that doctors who don't know otherwise would think you've been in a high speed motorcycle crash? Only good news is you wouldn't remember it happening.
      Doubt you would be saying much at all. you would be spitting your teeth out and trying to work why your jaw wasn't working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

You posts keep getting more ridiculous, you lost all credibility when you said JWH would flick Artie with his pinky. Obviously didn't see any live games in the 60's and 70's. Impossible to compare the players of 50 years ago to now because of changes to the game and training regimes so it's a pointless exercise only started by fools.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

You posts keep getting more ridiculous, you lost all credibility when you said JWH would flick Artie with his pinky. Obviously didn't see any live games in the 60's and 70's. Impossible to compare the players of 50 years ago to now because of changes to the game and training regimes so it's a pointless exercise only started by fools.
          Can we at least agree arty would win hands down in the pie eating contest?
          Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Originally posted by The Axe View Post

Can we at least agree arty would win hands down in the pie eating contest?
            And the schooner drinking too!

Comment

Lol jism your rants are joyous outbursts of unhinged insanity. I'm picturing you as Nicholas Cage from Leaving Las Vegas

You make it sound like dudes in the 60s were malnourished POWs or 18th century sailors too long out at sea and in desperate need of a juicy orange.

They did have muscle fibres too, you know.

"Not medically fit" Do you think the builds of players in the 60s were really that different to, say, Cameron Smith? He's made 45 tackles a week for 16 years and hasn't copped an injury yet. Let me know when Lolo "breaks his rib".

Now of course they were smaller than the genetic mutants of today. But they were still fit and strong; from playing, training, and working hard assed manual labour jobs. But more than that is the importance of tackling technique.

Does anyone here who saw Bunny Reilly play doubt his ability to tackle any player in todays game? Completely ignoring the fact that if he were here now then he should also be afforded the assumption that he'd have been training his entire career under today's modern methods, too.

And as someone pointed out, the 5m rule matters. A LOT. It would mean a lot less momentum for these modern day Gods like George Rose, Tim Mannah and Korbin Sims. Instead they'd find themselves in more of a brutal dogfight.

In fact I'd love to see any league side get transported back into 1950s northern England for a game of league against 13 coal miners/league players like Vince Karalius. I could apply my own outlandish stereotypes and say that today's generation of pampered, Instagram filter obsessed players would struggle to walk off a field at the end of such a game in St Helens on a cold, rock hard pitch.

Grown men back then were TOUGH. Real damn mother ****ing TOUGH. And if you think that the league players of today would have it any easier adapting to their world of footy in that era then you are mistaken.

Look at those "chicken legs" on Vince. Someone send the indestructible Eastwood back in time to have a crack at him under the old school rules. See how it pans out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

In fact I'd love to see any league side get transported back into 1950s northern England for a game of league against 13 coal miners/league players like Vince Karalius. I could apply my own outlandish stereotypes and say that today's generation of pampered, Instagram filter obsessed players would struggle to walk off a field at the end of such a game in St Helens on a cold, rock hard pitch.
                “The Wild Bull of the Pampas”
                Hard as nails....

Comment

Gotta worry about poor Izzy.....................I think he's losing the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
                    Agreed Louis.

One can only imagine how dominant he would have been without the ACL in 2015. Prior to that, he was the clearly the best prop in the comp.

Right now? He's the best defensive Prop in the NRL, no doubt. In terms of keeping on and off-field morale high and leading by example? Best in the comp as well.

In Attack, not quite - there are others in that ballpark. However i think a big part of that is coach instruction - the ever present JWH offload that we used to see all the time back in 2013 has been missing for a while, mostly due to our game plan.

In 2015 he was unstoppable and by far the best prop in the game. Remember that try against Parra? Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by HEGtheROOSTER View Post
                      I've been thinking recently about where JWH stands in our list of modern-day front rowers.

He's played in three Grand Finals with us (two winning ones), and his form has been a crucial factor in the years we've done well.

He started off like most "enforcer" style front rowers with a deserved reputation for being a bit of a loose cannon, but later in his career has matured into one of our leadership group.

From Day 1 he has been passionate about the Roosters and has been the rock of our front row for the best part of a decade.

Disregarding the likes of Ray Stehr, etc, who I didn't see play, I think he is right up there in terms of passion, service, loyalty, and impact with the group of front rowers I consider to be our best engine room Roosters I've seen:

Artie Beetson
                      Royce Ayliffe
                      Craig Salvatori
                      Adrian Morley

Good post. JWH has been a great player and clubman for us. Hit his peak in 2013-2015 before that ACL injury slowed him down but he was great last year for us and massive in the GF. He is our enforcer.

JWH loves our club like we do. A story that has always stuck with me is from an ex player.. it was a big old boys reunion for the club and we got dusted badly but the ex players went back to the club after the game expecting the team to be there. Not one player turned up..except JWH and he spoke to every player he could especially the older ones.

​​​​

Comment

"Not medically fit" Do you think the builds of players in the 60s were really that different to, say, Cameron Smith? He's made 45 tackles a week for 16 years and hasn't copped an injury yet. Let me know when Lolo "breaks his rib".
                        Now of course they were smaller than the genetic mutants of today. But they were still fit and strong; from playing, training, and working hard assed manual labour jobs. But more than that is the importance of tackling technique.
                        Does anyone here who saw Bunny Reilly play doubt his ability to tackle any player in todays game? Completely ignoring the fact that if he were here now then he should also be afforded the assumption that he'd have been training his entire career under today's modern methods, too.
                        1. Like it or not, you'll do tests before being allowed to play in the NRL. What I'm saying is these guys couldn't take a hit from modern players and wouldn't be able to play for 80 minutes with significantly less interchanges. Outta their depth. They'd get injured too easily in ways that would be life threatening...
                        2. Who cares if they did manual labour? I'm a lawyer, I run 15km a day, I do weights most mornings and I'm bigger than Vince Karalius (google his height/weight and post a few other pics please, he looks a lot smaller standing next to guys who are taller than 6 foot and would look tiiiiny next to Cordner, who isn't particularly bulky). So what if I don't do garbage runs or work in a mine? I grew up in the Gong mate, not all wrapped up in cotton wool in the eastern suburbs. I actually watched 1980's League... yeah the Steelers were a club in Wollongong before your time kiddo! Heaps of my classmates played for the Steelers or had parents playing for them. So fark off with your 1960's bullshyte that your grandpa told ya!!!
                        3. Unless you're in your mid-70's, you never saw any of these guys play and you're just regurgitating what your dad fed you about how the old days were tougher. Yes grandpa... you told me that story already! At least I legit grew up in a mining town and have legit memories of seeing a bunch of coal miners and steel workers and stuff playing. I'll always cherish those days, but they were flogs compared with NRL players. Absolute flogs! It was the mid to late 90's when they signed Craig Fitzgibbon and stuff when shyte got real. You remember seeing him mate or are you too young? He played for the Roosters towards the end of his career...

Lesson: your grandpa fed you bullshyte, learn to think for yourself rather than regurgitating out old rants about how things became soft when sports became professional.

Image result for rod wishart

Image: Rod Wishart... those legs were the absolute biggest ANYBODY had seen in the 1980's. Note, they are not that big compared to GI/Fergo/Tupou/Ado-Carr...etc. And this is when guys were starting to get big!

Image result for Vince Karalius

Image: Old mate Vince from an angle that doesn't exaggerate his size... absolutely no size/definition in those legs. He has absolutely nothing on Rod WIshart!
                        Image result for arthur beetson
                        Image: Artie with a beer gut, about 10 chins and zero definition in his arms.
                        Image result for sonny bill
                        Image result for sonny bill williams
                        Image: a modern rugby league player for comparison. Note: has muscle tone like an elite athlete and would bulldoze any of the above. Just imagine him shoulder charging or palming old mate Vince all the way to the pub via the tobacconist!

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster R View Post
                          He has been my favourite player and still is. He's influence in our side is immeasurable, great player and most certainly in the top echelon of players for our great club, not just front rowers either.
                          Couldn't agree more he is just a great man and you can see all the players gain confidence when he is on the field.
                          I love Jared,it used to be an on-again, off-again relationship, but now I am fully committed. ha ha

Comment

Lol jism your rants are joyous outbursts of unhinged insanity. I'm picturing you as Nicholas Cage from Leaving Las Vegas
                            Or Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now?

There's no doubting the game has changed a lot, but how would today's players go if they were paid peanuts, didn't train full time, had to work for a living, had to tie their own shoe laces up and had to drink a slab after every game and training session?

Still, you've just got to let ism be ism.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                              Gotta worry about poor Izzy.....................I think he's losing the plot.
                              He says he is a lawyer as if that's a good thing or gives him some credibility......demented egocentric more like it. Keeps ranting ridiculous nonsensical, disrespectful rubbish, obviously has no respect for the game or it's history. Probably thinks 20/20 is more important than test cricket as well. I think this clown places far too much value on his uneducated opinion, admits he never actually saw a live game from the 60s or 70s, yet continues to argue a case which can never be proven, typical lawyer, can you imagine what Artie would have done to this clown if he mouthed off in this way to his face... he would be crying in a corner sucking his thumb.

Comment

I'm still trying to work out when Rod Wishart's legs were considered the biggest in the NRL! Les Boyd, Noel Cleal, Olsen Filipaina and Panda Andrews just to name a few had bigger legs than Wishart in the 80's
                                Last edited by Headless Chook; 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X