Jwh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed Louis.

One can only imagine how dominant he would have been without the ACL in 2015. Prior to that, he was the clearly the best prop in the comp.

Right now? He's the best defensive Prop in the NRL, no doubt. In terms of keeping on and off-field morale high and leading by example? Best in the comp as well.

In Attack, not quite - there are others in that ballpark. However i think a big part of that is coach instruction - the ever present JWH offload that we used to see all the time back in 2013 has been missing for a while, mostly due to our game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post
      I remember seeing JWH play for Manly and thinking, we gotta get this guy. He was powerful and could slip a good ball in traffic too and he wasn't afraid of contact...he loved it. The following year Brian Smith brought him over and Jared did his shoulder in pre-season training. I think it was from a Cordner collision. Not 100% sure but know he missed the early rounds. When he finally debuted he showed he was first grade material. His problem was he stretched the boundaries of course.

When the players lost confidence and form under Smith, JWH never floundered like others. He kept giving 100%. As soon as Trent arrived he promoted Jared to team leader, status, leapfrogging Martin Kennedy, who was a prior contender for captaincy. Trent made the right choice. JWH has been a tower of strength and 2015 prior to his knee injury was the cream of the props. The Roosters win rate with Jared on the field is like Freddies. He always gives 100% and is one of the best defensive props I have ever seen.

He originally failed to transfer that form to Test level and fell out of favour but recently took out NZ Man of the Series against England. One of my favourite Roosters - a great competitor. And when it comes to intimidation at least he's up there with Artie. And ism22 a reminder the big man is an Immortal = most unlike your comparison to George Rose and Greg Eastwood.
      A reminder... immortal based on form in the 60's and 70's when everybody smoked, diets didn't exist, you trained 2 or 3 days a week, the game was played in slo-mo and 188cm was considered HUUUUGE.

As noted, Artie was the best of his time and is rightfully immortal for that. However, the 60's and 70's were shyyyyyyte!!!

Seriously. 1960's footy props are nothing like today's props. JWH is 193cm, he doesn't smoke, he trains multiple times a day and... I mean... no disrespect but he'd flick off Artie with his pinkie.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

A reminder... immortal based on form in the 60's and 70's when everybody smoked, diets didn't exist, you trained 2 or 3 days a week, the game was played in slo-mo and 188cm was considered HUUUUGE.

As noted, Artie was the best of his time and is rightfully immortal for that. However, the 60's and 70's were shyyyyyyte!!!

Seriously. 1960's footy props are nothing like today's props. JWH is 193cm, he doesn't smoke, he trains multiple times a day and... I mean... no disrespect but he'd flick off Artie with his pinkie.
        I have read some dribble before, but this rubbish is right up there with the worst of it. No disrespect.

Comment

That's such a stupid comparison.

You simply can not compare eras in this fashion.

All you can say is, if Artie was born in 1990, how would he be faring today with all the benefits of modern day methods?

Greatness is greatness and he'd probably look like a cross between SBW and Jason Taumalolo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
            I will rate jwh after this year. No napa to help him out. He must stand up every game. If he leads us to the holy grail again he will go down in my books as one of our best props ever.
            Napa to help him out? What games have you been watching? Napa was a bench player who rarely aimed up.

Comment

Imagine trying to run the footy and not only were teams only separated by 5 metres but at any given moment an elbow could strike you down often unpenalised and encouraged. Swinging arms were practiced. Knee to the head. Trodden on as you try to get up. The violence was graphic and real.

I could easily say that the buff metros of today’s game wouldn’t survive five minutes of their debut game cos they would wake up in a nursing home.

In fact they probably wouldn’t survive under sevens.

But no I wouldn’t insult them in that way.

A Tommy Rediculous is a dinosaur but when you saw those blokes mix it with the Dallas Donnoleys or Les Boyds it’s huge respect baby.

So for Artie to be able to be so skilled and still as tough as anyone made him special.

And it’s Winnie reds Jizzy, man ciggies.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Yes and I suppose Dally was a hack because he played back in the dark ages... Let’s can the Dally Ms and call them the Cam S awards.
                Sorry ISM but you have to account that every player today has developed from those great in the past. Tomorrow’s JWH will likely be faster, and stronger and maybe more skilful but they have all acquired skills that have taken all those decades to develop.

As STASE said back in Arties days he had to put up with a 5m rule and stand up to offload while copping elbows, head highs and whatever dirty tactic the opposition got away with and still be one of the greatest. Thanks to the games on Fox of the 80s I was also reminded of how good Steve Mortimer was in attack but his cover defence was so good too. It wasn’t that easy to survive through the 80s and be a great player.

Comment

I will rate jwh after this year. No napa to help him out. He must stand up every game. If he leads us to the holy grail again he will go down in my books as one of our best props ever.
                  No Napa to cover for you mean

Comment

JWH is 193cm, he doesn't smoke, he trains multiple times a day and... I mean... no disrespect but he'd flick off Artie with his pinkie.
                    No disrepect taken ism22. I've never seen his pinkie. But...if I've told you once I've told you 1000 times...please don't exaggerate.

Comment

What would happen if Muhammad Ali in his mid 1960s prime fought Deontay Wilder tomorrow?

That's right, Ali would beat the shit out of him. Joe Louis in his heyday of the late 1930s would give him a good pasting too.

But how can that be?! These modern athletes are like Optimus Prime and anyone who competed in the black and white era was basically Benjamin Button at birth!

Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger's body in the early 1970s. What a puny man with those primitive training and dietary methods.

Greg Eastwood would knock him over if he flicked a bogie at him from 10 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                        What would happen if Muhammad Ali in his mid 1960s prime fought Deontay Wilder tomorrow?

That's right, Ali would beat the shit out of him. Joe Louis in his heyday of the late 1930s would give him a good pasting too.

But how can that be?! These modern athletes are like Optimus Prime and anyone who competed in the black and white era was basically Benjamin Button at birth!

Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger's body in the early 1970s. What a puny man with those primitive training and dietary methods.

Classic Tommy. :-) Had me in so many stitches I could pass for an Egyptian mummy. Greg Eastwood is fast becoming the stuff legends are made of.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

No Napa to cover for you mean
                          I am sure, if you ask any of the roosters players, they would prefer big Napa next to them in the line than not.
                          If we go down a prop with an injury or suspension now, our depth in the front row will be tested. It's a long season, SOO, England, Brisbane 2 weeks in a row, etc.

Many on here didn't want Collins in the 17 last year.

Comment

I am sure, if you ask any of the roosters players, they would prefer big Napa next to them in the line than not.
                            If we go down a prop with an injury or suspension now, our depth in the front row will be tested. It's a long season, SOO, England, Brisbane 2 weeks in a row, etc.

yep agree. We are a experienced prop short heading into 2019. We are really banking on the development of farmer and collins. If they fail or get injured i could see guys like liu heading into that prop rotation and then radley ( bigger mins ) , sitili and butcher come into the frame..

Comment

Maybe, but i bet they'd like a prop who makes more than 80m a game too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post

pretty bad examples, everyone knows the heavyweight division isnt half what it used to be, and arnie was roided to the gills

Comment

Working...
                                X