Announcement

Collapse

Premium Subscriptions are now Active

Premium Subscriptions to TheChookpen.com.au can now be purchased and activated by clicking this link here or by clicking your Username at the top right, then User Settings, then Subscriptions. Thanks for your ongoing support leading into 2020! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Jwh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jwh

I've been thinking recently about where JWH stands in our list of modern-day front rowers.

He's played in three Grand Finals with us (two winning ones), and his form has been a crucial factor in the years we've done well.

He started off like most "enforcer" style front rowers with a deserved reputation for being a bit of a loose cannon, but later in his career has matured into one of our leadership group.

From Day 1 he has been passionate about the Roosters and has been the rock of our front row for the best part of a decade.

Disregarding the likes of Ray Stehr, etc, who I didn't see play, I think he is right up there in terms of passion, service, loyalty, and impact with the group of front rowers I consider to be our best engine room Roosters I've seen:

Artie Beetson
    Royce Ayliffe
    Craig Salvatori
    Adrian Morley

In those above props .....in good company.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Yeah, wouldn't swap JWH for anyone.
      Prop is a position where it's especially hard to compare eras, because of the interchange rules and rules surrounding scrums.

Comment

He has been my favourite player and still is. He's influence in our side is immeasurable, great player and most certainly in the top echelon of players for our great club, not just front rowers either.

Comment

Bryce Gibbs said he wouldn’t knock the froth off a coffee..

so I asked Jared for his opinion.
          Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

and hes about to bring up 200 games for the club this season

Comment

Originally posted by HEGtheROOSTER View Post
              I've been thinking recently about where JWH stands in our list of modern-day front rowers.

He's played in three Grand Finals with us (two winning ones), and his form has been a crucial factor in the years we've done well.

He started off like most "enforcer" style front rowers with a deserved reputation for being a bit of a loose cannon, but later in his career has matured into one of our leadership group.

From Day 1 he has been passionate about the Roosters and has been the rock of our front row for the best part of a decade.

Disregarding the likes of Ray Stehr, etc, who I didn't see play, I think he is right up there in terms of passion, service, loyalty, and impact with the group of front rowers I consider to be our best engine room Roosters I've seen:

Artie Beetson
              Royce Ayliffe
              Craig Salvatori
              Adrian Morley
              IMO he started off with a bit of a gratuitous reputation because he shopped himself around as the 'Sonny Bill of Union' and both codes bought into it. This gave him 1st grade experience, a big salary and a test cap before he'd proven himself to be worthy of any.

Initially he gave away lotsa penalties and was a bit soft (and was basically blackballed by kiwi selectors based on a legit lack of form). Now he has grown into a hard working enforcer who any young forward would be well advised to hit up for advice (i.e. he's now a true leader).

Yes he's won 2 GFs but he's also had quite a few character building seasons, which I think is important. He knows what it's like to have a dud year where nothing goes right, you get injured, you get dumped from squads...etc. He's developed the kinda patience and maturity you want in a leader.

How does he compare with Morley and Beetson? TBH not worth comparing apples and oranges. Beetson was best of his entire era and nobody will take that away from him. Nobody else will ever be Arthur Beetson. However, he'd be a George Rose or a Greg Eastwood in today's era. JWH is way more professional, has put in way more hours training than anybody on that list and his skills/physique have surpassed them all as a result. Is he the best prop of the modern era though? I dunno. I mean who are the contenders?
              - Matt Scott
              - Woods
              - Klemmer
              - Campbell-Gillard
              - Civoniciva
              - Thaiday
              - Hannant
              - Big Papi
              - Graham
              - Pyles

When you put it that way, I reckon he's definitely up there. There's no clear winner and he has a definite chance of winning a 3rd GF (as a leader). If anything I have questions about guys like Hannant, Scott and Civoniciva (who history will be kind to) because despite having soooo much talent up north there's been very little success from QLD teams.

Comment

Artie Beetson
                Royce Ayliffe
                Craig Salvatori
                Adrian Morley
                Salvo is my fav Rooster.Was sensational for us in a period where we were a very very very low team, and he got picked for the Blues despite this.
                Good post. I remember Artie a little but JWH ranks right up there.
                On a side note and correct me if i am wrong, but i dont think he has ever been in any trouble or scandals at the club has he ?? Seems like a very nice man

Comment

Artie Beetson
                  Royce Ayliffe
                  Craig Salvatori
                  Adrian Morley
                  Who else is even in contention from the last 50 yrs?

i couldn’t name a solid 10,
                  maybe cayless,moa,hermanson, lowrie get a mention.

Comment

I will rate jwh after this year. No napa to help him out. He must stand up every game. If he leads us to the holy grail again he will go down in my books as one of our best props ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                      I will rate jwh after this year. No napa to help him out. He must stand up every game. If he leads us to the holy grail again he will go down in my books as one of our best props ever.
                      Sounds just like 2018 to me.

Comment

Izzy would knock the froth off a coffee quicker than anyone.....................I reckon

Comment

JWH is in the top 3 props I've seen...............................Big Artie will always top that list

Comment

I feel he has benefited most from having a former prop as coach
                            Get out of the way, I'm next

Comment

I remember seeing JWH play for Manly and thinking, we gotta get this guy. He was powerful and could slip a good ball in traffic too and he wasn't afraid of contact...he loved it. The following year Brian Smith brought him over and Jared did his shoulder in pre-season training. I think it was from a Cordner collision. Not 100% sure but know he missed the early rounds. When he finally debuted he showed he was first grade material. His problem was he stretched the boundaries of course.

When the players lost confidence and form under Smith, JWH never floundered like others. He kept giving 100%. As soon as Trent arrived he promoted Jared to team leader, status, leapfrogging Martin Kennedy, who was a prior contender for captaincy. Trent made the right choice. JWH has been a tower of strength and 2015 prior to his knee injury was the cream of the props. The Roosters win rate with Jared on the field is like Freddies. He always gives 100% and is one of the best defensive props I have ever seen.

He originally failed to transfer that form to Test level and fell out of favour but recently took out NZ Man of the Series against England. One of my favourite Roosters - a great competitor. And when it comes to intimidation at least he's up there with Artie. And ism22 a reminder the big man is an Immortal = most unlike your comparison to George Rose and Greg Eastwood.
                              Last edited by Louis N; 01-22-2019, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X