Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooper Cronk future assistant to Robbo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooper Cronk future assistant to Robbo???

I think Cooper Cronk will be a great asset to the club as a assistant coach when his playing days are over, your thoughts?

Originally posted by roosters75 View Post
    I think Cooper Cronk will be a great asset to the club as a assistant coach when his playing days are over, your thoughts?
    I think Bellamy made sure he walked over and said nice things to Cronk after the game for a reason.

Yeah sure... I mean with JT going to the Bears, we might need somebody like Cronk on our books long-term. I suspect Cronk knows we're cashed up and can offer him better $$$ post-retirement so maybe that played out in his decision to sign with us? I dunno.

TBH I'm pretty keen to see how this deal with the Bears works out. It'll be great if we run it as a more professional outfit than Wyong, where you get similar quality training to first-grade and then up the quality of our 1st grade staff.

My only concern is that, like Newtown, the Bears have their own ambitions and will never be a true 'Roosters' club. A mate's dad is their new chair (and 3/4 of the board are his mates)...based on his FB posts, none of this is about us. It's all about building their brand with the long-term goal of joining the NRL again. Trying to sign Carney was massive because they want marquee players coming to the Bears. Wonder how long this partnership will last? It's kinda disappointing that these partnerships always end because I bought up Newtown gear, connected with them and then went eeeew... no thanks!!! Wyong? I tried but they never wanted us and had a massive rant about how we stuffed them over (supposedly). Bears? We will see, but my mate isn't a Roosters fan, he's a Bears fan. Roosters get zero FB mentions from him.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

I think Bellamy made sure he walked over and said nice things to Cronk after the game for a reason.

Yeah sure... I mean with JT going to the Bears, we might need somebody like Cronk on our books long-term. I suspect Cronk knows we're cashed up and can offer him better $$$ post-retirement so maybe that played out in his decision to sign with us? I dunno.

TBH I'm pretty keen to see how this deal with the Bears works out. It'll be great if we run it as a more professional outfit than Wyong, where you get similar quality training to first-grade and then up the quality of our 1st grade staff.

My only concern is that, like Newtown, the Bears have their own ambitions and will never be a true 'Roosters' club. A mate's dad is their new chair (and 3/4 of the board are his mates)...based on his FB posts, none of this is about us. It's all about building their brand with the long-term goal of joining the NRL again. Trying to sign Carney was massive because they want marquee players coming to the Bears. Wonder how long this partnership will last? It's kinda disappointing that these partnerships always end because I bought up Newtown gear, connected with them and then went eeeew... no thanks!!! Wyong? I tried but they never wanted us and had a massive rant about how we stuffed them over (supposedly). Bears? We will see, but my mate isn't a Roosters fan, he's a Bears fan. Roosters get zero FB mentions from him.
      Would be great if they would bring back the under 23s and reserve grade like the good old days.

Comment

Would be great if they would bring back the under 23s and reserve grade like the good old days.
        It's an odd mix ay? Like nowadays people seem to be ready by 18-20 if they are gonna make it (90% of the time). NRL players mostly play well into their 30's so 'reserve grade' is an odd comp where NSWRL teams field a combination of park footy players and true reserve-grade NRL players. Most will NEVER play NRL and will NEVER be considered for NRL. To cap it off... those who play 1 game of NRL get $200k+ a year whereas the rest get paid SFA, so need to work and thus can't afford to train their bodies to be ready for a call-up at any time.

IMO the salary cap needs reform (and a couple of teams like the Titans, Souffs, Gummies and Storm need to be axed) so that we can afford to have a legit reserve-grade comp. However, women are the current priority and have more room for expansion than trying to make men's park footy more competitive. Within 15 years I'd love to see a weekend fixture where $40 buys you tickets for:
        - U23
        - Reserve-grade
        - NRLW
        - NRL

Comment

It seems like the inevitable outcome after retirement.

Pretty rare though that players go straight into coaching after retirement, I think all of them want a bit of a break from the game and Cooper may be no different.

Comment

Some players have a brain but not necessarily are good communicators, and some are vice versa. Cronk is one of the few with both qualities so it will depend on which fork in the road he chooses. No doubt if he chooses the coaching side, we will have him earmarked for some role. If he chooses the media, he will get picked up very quickly !

Comment

Cronk is a modern day coach, he will be at the Roosters for a very long time.
              Yes, he moved up here for love, but he knew that the Roosters are going to be very beneficial to him after his playing days are over.
              He has won a premiership with us now, he won't be going anywhere when his playing days are over because he is in love ...with the Roosters.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

So after leaving Melbourne for Sydney to be with his wife, you are somehow thinking he would go back to Melbourne to be an assistant coach? Have you thought this through?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelvin Johnson View Post
                  Cronk is a modern day coach, he will be at the Roosters for a very long time.
                  Yes, he moved up here for love, but he knew that the Roosters are going to be very beneficial to him after his playing days are over.
                  He has won a premiership with us now, he won't be going anywhere when his playing days are over because he is in love ...with the Roosters.
                  I hope he doesn't take on a head coaching role at the Roosters as the chances are that coaches end up getting sacked and he will end up elsewhere. I would rather he do some assistant coaching work and/or working with the 20's alongside his media gig. As time goes by I would rather use his brains and passion on the board than as a coach.

Comment

He is attending Harvard business school or some such. Or so I read.

Comment

i remember a certain club legend went into coaching a while ago, that didnt end so well, cronk is probably a bit smarter then freddy, but he may not even want to coach, also freddy is a good communicator, he was an inspirational captain

Comment

I think this was part of the plan all along. He has only enhanced his value through this finals series.

Comment

Eat Bondi sand bro !!

Capture.JPG
                          "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Originally posted by The Marshall View Post
                            I think this was part of the plan all along. He has only enhanced his value through this finals series.
                            Yeah , reading between the lines I think we always had plans for Cronk post retirement.
                            He's already a big asset to the coaching staff.

Comment

Guaranteed he will be our next coach when he retires. I can see him start as a under 20's / under 18's coach and progress from there. Roosters head coach 2023?

Comment

Working...
                              X