Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
    Follow the Dice..he is the chookpen seer...he says back to back so be it
    He goes better than that mug named Trewhella lol.

Comment

If you talk about 'back to back' you're over-complicating things. What happened this year is to be enjoyed and then next year is a new year, with a new team and a new comp. The goal next year is to play good footy and win the comp, the fact that we won this year doesn't change that.

Noting that our 4 Roosteroos will complete their international commitments by Saturday week. If they can survive unscathed, they won't miss too much pre-season. Our 3 Kiwi boys, however, won't finish until the second week of November in the UK. Not ideal but should be a good experience, in particular for Manu and, given their positions, they should slot back in without too much disruption.

Comment

The Storm have shown just how tough it can be to go back to back. It won’t be easy but we have a habit of bucking the trend so I reckon we are a good shot.
        FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post
          The Storm have shown just how tough it can be to go back to back. It won’t be easy but we have a habit of bucking the trend so I reckon we are a good shot.
          For sure. Honestly, the Storm shoulda gone back to back based on form. I know we were minor premiers but that's only because they rested everybody for that panthers game while Parra basically laid down and let us pound them.

Finals? Storm came in favourites based on finals form, we had Cronk at 10% fitness and then the Drizzle played one of their wost games of the season. Not trying to downplay our performance but IMO you don't just need a good team to win one, you need a bit of luck on the day.

2019... there will be a massive target on our heads and we'll start again from scratch with a couple of new players in key positions. If 2018 is anything to go off then it'll be a rough ride, we'll lose a lot of games that we really should win and it'll be a tight race at the end to make the top 4. Final is always tough because you have to win 3 consecutive games against the top teams. I just hope we have a solid season with no injuries and as few injuries as possible.

Comment

Every year's Premiers, without fail are always talked about as being good enough to go B2B or are at the start of a dynasty. We'll be talked about in the same terms no doubt, but in modern day RL, its been proven near impossible to do ..courtesy of salary cap. Players we have now will most likely be shed over the next few years as their earning potential increases.
            But we're as good a chance as any of the previous premiers in possibly doing the impossible B2B !

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
              Every year's Premiers, without fail are always talked about as being good enough to go B2B or are at the start of a dynasty. We'll be talked about in the same terms no doubt, but in modern day RL, its been proven near impossible to do ..courtesy of salary cap. Players we have now will most likely be shed over the next few years as their earning potential increases.
              But we're as good a chance as any of the previous premiers in possibly doing the impossible B2B !
              Agree totally,we have a very good shot at the double next year the squads virtually intact minus Blake.The cap will hurt us big time the following years other clubs will be throwing massive money at latrell and Joey manu theres a window next year but its a hard thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                To be fair I think we're a better shot than (for example) the Sharks, Cowboys (both sympathy premierships) and Dragons (lost their whole team and coach in 2011) woulda been.

Other than that I agree 100%.

IMO winning in 2013 and 2018 with 4 minor premierships in 6 years is about as close as it gets to going B2B right now. We shed a LOT of players following 2016, had a rotten year and somehow survived it all.

IMO we have been far more resilient than Manly, Souffs, Sharks, Cows and Dragons. The only team that comes close is the Drizzle, who blatantly cheated (but somehow kept a couple of premierships). Storm couldn't go B2B even while cheating though. Clearly it's a tough ask...

Comment

Calling the Sharks and Cowboys titles "sympathy" Premierships is absolute nonsense.

They were both very good teams. The Sharks went on something like a 15 game win streak in 2016 and, like us, beat all 3 fellow top 4 teams on their way to the title. That was a damn tough footy side with quality in the spine in Barba, Jimmy and Ennis. Well earned and deserved.

And the year before the Cowboys were at the zenith of their great little era - peak JT and also Morgan operating behind a beast forward pack. They had a tough wk 1 loss at Suncorp but then rebounded to smash Cronulla and the Storm (in Melbourne) b2b before gaining revenge in the GF on a Broncos side that belted us in the Prelim. Again very well earned and to denigrate either sides achievement would be as absurd as someone denigrating ours.

Comment

Regarding our chances of going b2b, there are a few reasons for optimism beyond the normal.

1) this is a team that didn't peak until GF day. The 2013 side was great throughout the year - it was THE greatest season we've had since 1975 - so you could argue that there was only one way to go from there which was down. But this current Roosters team still has some evolving to do, ESPECIALLY with Adam O'Brien coming on board to change up the attack. He'll help us evolve rather than stagnate which is crucial.

2) we didn't have the luck with injuries and suspensions you normally need to win the comp. We overcame the huge absence of Latrell (and Napa) as well as the midgame injury to Cronk to win the Prelim and we then won the GF with a 1 armed halfback. No one gave us much hope in either game under those circumstances. That's an incredible achievement so perhaps next year we have more luck (or less, who knows).

3) whilst Fergo is a huge loss, the additions of Crichton, Morris and Hall when fit arguably make us a better team. Not many Premiership sides on paper are as good, or perhaps better, the following year.

4) the main opposition look weaker. The Storm will be much weaker without Slater and are due a down year (they could be like the 2005 Roosters after 3 straight GFs and losing a genius). Souffs have lost Crichton and were found out as the season wore on. They have awful depth and reek of being a one season wonder to me. The Dragons have lost their starting wingers, with Macdonald being a big loss, and are still handicapped by the drink driving fraud McGregor. Cronulla have lost Lewis and Ramien and that halves pairing ain't scaring anyone in a big game.

So who are the serious threats? I know it's early days but I see perhaps Penrith and Brisbane being our main competition. If the Broncos sort out their halves and if Bennett is there for his last season then with that ridiculous young forward pack they could be the ones to come for us. So I'm watching out for Brissy big time and I hope they're dumb enough to punt Benny early.

But still, on the whole we're heading into 2019 as far and away the team to beat. If, and it's a big IF, we maintain the desire and time our run with few injuries then someone has a big gap to bridge to beat us.

Ultimately someone WILL go b2b sooner or later. No one did in the Champions League for 25 odd years then Real Madrid then went and 3peated so maybe we'll do the same
                    Last edited by Tommy Smith; 10-10-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                      Regarding our chances of going b2b, there are a few reasons for optimism beyond the normal.

1) this is a team that didn't peak until GF day. The 2013 side was great throughout the year - it was THE greatest season we've had since 1975 - so you could argue that there was only one way to go from there which was down. But this current Roosters team still has some evolving to do, ESPECIALLY with Adam O'Brien coming on board to change up the attack. He'll help us evolve rather than stagnate which is crucial.

2) we didn't have the luck with injuries and suspensions you normally need to win the comp. We overcame the huge absence of Latrell (and Napa) as well as the midgame injury to Cronk to win the Prelim and we then won the GF with a 1 armed halfback. No one gave us much hope in either game under those circumstances. That's an incredible achievement so perhaps next year we have more luck (or less, who knows).

3) whilst Fergo is a huge loss, the additions of Crichton, Morris and Hall when fit arguably make us a better team. Not many Premiership sides on paper are as good, or perhaps better, the following year.

4) the main opposition look weaker. The Storm will be much weaker without Slater and are due a down year (they could be like the 2005 Roosters after 3 straight GFs and losing a genius). Souffs have lost Crichton and were found out as the season wore on. They have awful depth and reek of being a one season wonder to me. The Dragons have lost their starting wingers, with Macdonald being a big loss, and are still handicapped by the drink driving fraud McGregor. Cronulla have lost Lewis and Ramien and that halves pairing ain't scaring anyone in a big game.

So who are the serious threats? I know it's early days but I see perhaps Penrith and Brisbane being our main competition. If the Broncos sort out their halves and if Bennett is there for his last season then with that ridiculous young forward pack they could be the ones to come for us. So I'm watching out for Brissy big time and I hope they're dumb enough to punt Benny early.

But still, on the whole we're heading into 2019 as far and away the team to beat. If, and it's a big IF, we maintain the desire and time our run with few injuries then someone has a big gap to bridge to beat us.

Ultimately someone WILL go b2b sooner or later. No one did in the Champions League for 25 odd years then Real Madrid then went and 3peated so maybe we'll do the same

I agree with most of what you said Tommy. I think the Dragons will be the team we smash in the GF next year.
                      They had a big case of the yips after SOO and I think they will handle it better next year. They fell away mainly to some key injuries this year.
                      Panthers are a myth and anything could happen with the Broncos depending on what happens with their coaching.
                      I don't rate any other team.

On top of your positives for B2B, I think we have a better mental toughness than in 2014. Some just couldn't pick themselves up and as some have argued, many put down tools for the year.

I think our senior players who were around in 2014 are just mentally tougher now. Throw in Cronk who will be going for 3 premierships in a row, Keary and Tedesco have just gone to another level this year and our young guns (Latrell, Manu and Radley) just look to be craving success and will improve even further. Can Collins and Butcher have break out years next year?
                      The loss of Fergo is big but I think we have gained decent cover in Morris and Hall. If we get Tapau or TPJ, it will add to our go forward and they too will be hungry for a premiership.
                      Did our attack gel this year? Probably not to its full potential so that too is a scary thought for the opposition. Hopefully O'Brien will add to that.

Finally our coach is always reinventing himself. I have no doubt he will lift the team. He has identified where we can improve already bringing in O'Brien.

2019 is at our mercy. Only injuries can hurt us.

GO EASTS!!!

Comment

Calling the Sharks and Cowboys titles "sympathy" Premierships is absolute nonsense.
                        Can we call 2014 a sympathy premiership?

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Can we call 2014 a sympathy premiership?
                          Yes, yes we can.

Comment

One at a time dice.... One at a time.
                            Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

2015 was an odd season where Sutton and Badger knocked us out, giving the (significantly lesser) Cowboys a GF against the Broncos who then beat them but for Ben fukking Hunt dropping the ball. They got sooooooo lucky it's not funny!!!! This was after JT had his massive 'NSW conspiracy' rant... leading to 2 QLD teams being rocketed into the GF. Also the Cows got let off cheating the salary cap as all investigations into the practice of an 'independent' property developer 'selling' them all houses at well below market rate were abandoned. It was a claytons GF.

2016 the Sharks were given preferential treatment by the refs because they'd never had a premiership and they felt they'd been hard done by after using peptides. I team that quite literally included a bunch of drug cheats (all big forwards) did SFA other than get given a zillion free penalties for no apparent reason. Meanwhile we were knocked outta all contention by blanket media coverage and a resulting 8 week suspension of Pearce. Claytons season and claytons GF.

2015 and 2016 were odd seasons where teams that weren't particularly skillful (or capable of backing up their form the next season) got up due to a mixture of preferential treatment by refs and the NRL refusing to punish them adequately for cheating. Both teams have since faded off into obscurity. Whereas we have made 5/6 preliminary finals, won 4/6 minor premierships, kept our coach and improved our roster.

Sharks - lost most of their players and haven't rebuilt.
                              Cows- lost most of their players and haven't rebuilt.

Enough said.

Comment

We will go close to back to back in 19 and 20 as this team is still developing tbh... The main key which I believe most clubs haven't discovered is how to maintain mental toughness year on year...This is I feel Trent has finally got our club to realise is by focusing on a broader club philosophy through all players and staff.. Again we are the bench mark for advancement.
                                Melbourne is the only one that I would consider even close to this scenario..

This philosophy has been spread through the entire club over last couple of years, thats what Trent has brought.. Its a belief structure, unity and work ethic no other club has embraced or looked into.

Comment

Working...
                                X