X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond Cronkite

How Phillips overcame Cronk-like injury in 2002 decider

Author Brad Walter Senior Reporter Timestamp Wed 26 Sep 2018, 08:01 AM

After requiring 11 painkilling needles to play with a separated shoulder in the 2002 grand final, former Sydney Roosters fullback Luke Phillips has warned that Cooper Cronk must be mentally as well as physically prepared for the challenge of facing Melbourne on Sunday at ANZ Stadium.
    Phillips suffered a fracture and rotator cuff tear during the lead-up to the grand final but managed to take his place in the 30-8 defeat of the Warriors with the aid of painkilling injections in an act of courage which was largely unheralded outside the Roosters camp.

However, he lost movement in his arm during the second half after completely tearing the muscle from the bone and had to ask lock Chris Flannery to stand in the defensive line for him when a scrum was packed.

"I had a slight fracture where the muscle attaches to the bone, I played with the fracture needled in the grand final and what it did was basically pull a big fragment of bone off and shattered it," Phillips told NRL.com.

"Playing fullback, it is not like you are in the front row or having to make 40 tackles in a game. I wouldn't have been able to do it if I was playing in the forwards. I was trying to hide in the second half as much as I could and just do the best I could out the back.

"It was not a big heroic feat like Sam Burgess or John Sattler playing with a broken jaw. I was just a fullback with a broken shoulder out the back. It went unnoticed until afterwards because the Roosters hid it."

Watching Cronk bravely play on to lead the Roosters to victory over South Sydney last Saturday night revived memories for Phillips, who did the same thing after initially suffering the injury while attempting to tackle St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier.

While he believes his injury was more like the one which kept Cronulla captain Paul Gallen out of the previous night's match against the Storm, Phillips said Cronk faces a similar battle to prepare himself for the grand final after suffering "severe" damage to the rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

"At the moment it looks like Cooper is in pain, which I was as well, but if they can needle that to get through the pain that helps you mentally," Phillips said. "But if something worse happens then you physically can't use it.

"That is the mental battle he will have to face. If the needle works there is no issue, my problem was that when it actually broke I lost functionality.

"There are two parts of it; the pain and then there is the actual ability to use it. If you look at the ceremony at the stadium, everyone is grabbing the trophy and lifting it up but I couldn't lift it. I had to get (teammate) Peter Cusack to hold it while I put my hand underneath it.

"I ended up having 11 needles to play and another four after the game just to get rid of the pain for the celebrations."

Phillips underwent surgery after the grand final which sidelined him for the following season. After returning in 2004, he suffered knee, back and rib injuries within a short period of time and retired.

He later joined the refereeing ranks and now works as a consultant for St George Illawarra. Phillips was also involved with this year's successful NSW State of Origin team, which was coached by his former Roosters captain Brad Fittler.

Link: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/26/...2-grand-final/

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Luke Phillips is a deadset legend . He had such a blinder in the 2000 grand final . Not quite sure if Cronk could do the same as Phillips did in 2002 only because Cronk will need to tackle . Hope I’m wrong and he plays and we win the grand final and Cronk wins the Clive Churchill medal . Now that would be my fairytale .

Comment

One of my fav ever performances by a Roosters player

Comment

Win a GF with Coops, but possibly no Cronk for most of next year. I'll take that!

Comment

Who can forget his desperate try saving effort on half time where he beat Francis Meli to the ball in the corner.

He looked like a bloke willing to die to win in that game.

Also his try saver on Sean Rudder in the 2000 Prelim remains the best I've ever seen - the only WWF style clothes line seen in the NRL.

Legend!

Comment

He actually came back from injury the game before against the Broncos.

Former trainer Craig Walker lived a few houses down from me in Bondi Junction and told me on the morning of the Broncos game that he would be a late inclusion. Made my day as he was one of my favourites.

Players have needles to get through training at this time of year. He must have had 50 in those last few weeks.
            Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

I just hope Cronk plays.
              Go the Roosters.

Comment

I can attest to his pain threshold. I hugged Luke Phillips the night (actually about 2:30 in the morning) of the grand final. He screamed in pain.

Comment

i just want Cronk to play because he deserves to play, not so much because it would boost our chances of winning. He is just a class player and person, and that game last week truly emphasized this
                  EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                    How Phillips overcame Cronk-like injury in 2002 decider

Author Brad Walter Senior Reporter Timestamp Wed 26 Sep 2018, 08:01 AM

After requiring 11 painkilling needles to play with a separated shoulder in the 2002 grand final, former Sydney Roosters fullback Luke Phillips has warned that Cooper Cronk must be mentally as well as physically prepared for the challenge of facing Melbourne on Sunday at ANZ Stadium.
                    Phillips suffered a fracture and rotator cuff tear during the lead-up to the grand final but managed to take his place in the 30-8 defeat of the Warriors with the aid of painkilling injections in an act of courage which was largely unheralded outside the Roosters camp.

However, he lost movement in his arm during the second half after completely tearing the muscle from the bone and had to ask lock Chris Flannery to stand in the defensive line for him when a scrum was packed.

"I had a slight fracture where the muscle attaches to the bone, I played with the fracture needled in the grand final and what it did was basically pull a big fragment of bone off and shattered it," Phillips told NRL.com.

"Playing fullback, it is not like you are in the front row or having to make 40 tackles in a game. I wouldn't have been able to do it if I was playing in the forwards. I was trying to hide in the second half as much as I could and just do the best I could out the back.

"It was not a big heroic feat like Sam Burgess or John Sattler playing with a broken jaw. I was just a fullback with a broken shoulder out the back. It went unnoticed until afterwards because the Roosters hid it."

Watching Cronk bravely play on to lead the Roosters to victory over South Sydney last Saturday night revived memories for Phillips, who did the same thing after initially suffering the injury while attempting to tackle St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier.

While he believes his injury was more like the one which kept Cronulla captain Paul Gallen out of the previous night's match against the Storm, Phillips said Cronk faces a similar battle to prepare himself for the grand final after suffering "severe" damage to the rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

"At the moment it looks like Cooper is in pain, which I was as well, but if they can needle that to get through the pain that helps you mentally," Phillips said. "But if something worse happens then you physically can't use it.

"That is the mental battle he will have to face. If the needle works there is no issue, my problem was that when it actually broke I lost functionality.

"There are two parts of it; the pain and then there is the actual ability to use it. If you look at the ceremony at the stadium, everyone is grabbing the trophy and lifting it up but I couldn't lift it. I had to get (teammate) Peter Cusack to hold it while I put my hand underneath it.

"I ended up having 11 needles to play and another four after the game just to get rid of the pain for the celebrations."

Phillips underwent surgery after the grand final which sidelined him for the following season. After returning in 2004, he suffered knee, back and rib injuries within a short period of time and retired.

He later joined the refereeing ranks and now works as a consultant for St George Illawarra. Phillips was also involved with this year's successful NSW State of Origin team, which was coached by his former Roosters captain Brad Fittler.

Link: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/26/...2-grand-final/

Great premiership player, I remember how he gave the 2002 team great balance and filled his role. I didn't know how tough the was as well. Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                      Win a GF with Coops, but possibly no Cronk for most of next year. I'll take that!
                      No way. You might say that now and really regret it next year. Anyway, the problem with the injury that he has is movement not pain. He could play with the pain but if his left arm is useless then he will be hammered by the Storm. We can do it without him. Won’t be easy but we can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                        Agree. In saying that if we win & he plays i think he will call it quits.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                          Who can forget his desperate try saving effort on half time where he beat Francis Meli to the ball in the corner.

He looked like a bloke willing to die to win in that game.

Also his try saver on Sean Rudder in the 2000 Prelim remains the best I've ever seen - the only WWF style clothes line seen in the NRL.

Legend!
                          Mini's tackle on the same player two years later basically won us the semi final. It was a game changer as Fitzy took the intercept and scored two plays later

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post

No way. You might say that now and really regret it next year. Anyway, the problem with the injury that he has is movement not pain. He could play with the pain but if his left arm is useless then he will be hammered by the Storm. We can do it without him. Won’t be easy but we can do it.
                            No way. Give me a premiership and there's no Way I'll regret him even retiring
                            Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

its that stage of the week we discuss dying to win the premiership. yes at this stage of the season we are playing for sheep stations!

Comment

Working...
                              X