Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Heya Louis
    Artie was at the club from 1971 to 1978, 8 years. I was 5 in 71 so I was more interested in meeting other kids at the footy than the actual footy. Same for when I was 6,7,8,9,10. But I knew Artie was good because my dad always talked about him. I did meet Artie on probably at least 20 occasions because my pop, dad, brother & I used to go into the dressing rooms at the sports ground after the games, I have his autograph 3 times. By the time I really got interested in players the whole 74-75 team was gone so the best Rooster players that I saw when I was between 13 to 18 was Horrie Hastings, Hugh McGahan & Ian Barkley. The Roosters were average in the early 90,s but I thought Gary Freeman was a champion. The next top player that came along was Freddy who I personally believe is the best player that I have seen play for the Roosters over a period of years & those years where in the 2004-5-6. But the best player that I have ever seen at the Roosters was Todd Carney in 2010.
    In my original post I said Mini has the credentials to being the all time best ever Roosters player but in my time following the Chooks as I said earlier Carney is the best Ive seen but his credentials are up ship creek.
    And Louis I do rate Artie in the highest degree but I just believe Mini has better credentials.
    Great memories Mickie and thanks for sharing. Sorry for the belated reply. All of the players you mentioned did our club more than proud at their best. Gary Freeman was terrific in the early 90's at bringing some respect back to the Roosters. I got to talk to Artie a few times about footy and the Roosters team. That was back in the 80's when he returned as coach. He was very direct and had a sharp mind and dry sense of humour. I really felt for him in 1988 when we recruited really well only to see injuries cruel our season from the start. After 1987 that was a massive disappointment. And it led into our darkest days since the early 60's....then along came Gould and then Fittler. Great memories Mickie.

Comment

Matt Sing is a criminally under-cited player when it comes to Roosters revisionism.

If I recall correcy he came the season before Freddy and was immediately excellent, and continued to be that way right through.
      Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Another excellent player from darker times is Nigel Gaffey. The Gaffinator (as me and my school mates called him) was a god.
        Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by Crab View Post
          Would love to see Mini on ninja warrior he would farking blitz it :-)
          Of all the ex-players, George Rose and Cam Cherry would be briefly entertaining on ninja warrior. SKD would be an accident waiting to happen and so would Rabs commentating. Mini was certainly an eager ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post
            Matt Sing is a criminally under-cited player when it comes to Roosters revisionism.

If I recall correcy he came the season before Freddy and was immediately excellent, and continued to be that way right through.
            Matt was a fantastic buy and gave us great service. Such an elusive ball runner and his online defence was legendary. And Gaffey was our Brad Clyde in tough times.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post

Yep. Sing was electric and a chance of scoring every time he handled the ball, also a strong defender.

Comment

Working...
              X