A league legend.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A league legend.

Yeah, I had a visit from Sam Backo today.
    He's a bloody top bloke , we talked heaps.
    Said he ended up playing for Canberra because his mum had a government job there. We talked about Seiffort Oval, I went to a couple of our away games at that joint.
    Sam hasn't had things exactly easy, he has ptsd as well, but he approaches life like he was on the field. He's got some inner strength.
    Reckons his best mate is Terry Fahey. I told him about the black armband game at Belmore, and said Fahey will always be a Rooster. Sam promised me he'd tell Fahey I renamed him the Bondi Express. lol
    It was cool.
    Haven't laughed as much in a long time.

Awesome mate. I loved watching him play. A real character of the game and a great voice too.

Comment

Great story and glad you had a great laugh
      "This has been the case against the Roosters for decades" - TR, Roosters 2-11 Penalty Count V Manly 28/03/2014

Comment

Still remember Sam saying after a big game or Origin. "There was some fuucking big hits out there." To was it Big Darrell Eastlake?, I cannot remember who? No seven second delay or censor it was so funny.....

Thanks for sharing Eduardo....
        Originally posted by tigerstragic1994
        It looked like a light hearted cheap shot, but as a 10+ year Roosters member who attends home games regularly it does make the blood boil

Comment

Nice Eddie
          Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

I dont get the Roosters connection?

Had to google the guy. 57 yo QLDer who played for Canberra and Brisbane. Nice one... I guess.

Speaking of d-grade celebrities, I ran into Joanne Accom the other day. Pretty hillarious that as a kid she refused to let me touch her on the shoulder for a photo at the Arias (I didnt even know who she was and was more just getting a photo with some random midget just because). This time The roles were reversed and I had to tell her that Dolce and Gabbana didnt approve of her touching the shoulder of my suit.

Comment

Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post
              Still remember Sam saying after a big game or Origin. "There was some fuucking big hits out there." To was it Big Darrell Eastlake?, I cannot remember who? No seven second delay or censor it was so funny.....

I think he threw a plug in for buying "piss" off him from his bottle shop at the same time.
              Sam was a very good frontrower who was hard to stop near the line. He was an integral member of that great Qld team in the late 80s .

Comment

Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post
                That was 1988.
                Sam didn't bring that story up, but his Mrs did...................

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                  I dont get the Roosters connection?
                  Had to google the guy. 57 yo QLDer who played for Canberra and Brisbane. Nice one... I guess.
                  Me Izzy.
                  I'm the Rooster connection , I've supported them for 1/2 a century. We could throw in Terry Fahey as another connection if I'm too D grade.

Sam took time out to speak to a nobody like me and cheered me up for an afternoon. He's a humble bloke who still cant beleive he was lucky enough to play with Wally Lewis. A real character. A sense of humour that doesn't let up, and as I said, he hasn't has it easy either....I've been in a super bad place this year and things like this help restore my faith in human nature, just a tad.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Me Izzy.
                    I'm the Rooster connection , I've supported them for 1/2 a century. We could throw in Terry Fahey as another connection if I'm too D grade.

Sam took time out to speak to a nobody like me and cheered me up for an afternoon. He's a humble bloke who still cant beleive he was lucky enough to play with Wally Lewis. A real character. A sense of humour that doesn't let up, and as I said, he hasn't has it easy either....I've been in a super bad place this year and things like this help restore my faith in human nature, just a tad.
                    Fair call, thats pretty awesome mate!

Comment

I was at the 1988 SFS test match Australia v Great Britain when Sam was starting prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                        Awesome mate. I loved watching him play. A real character of the game and a great voice too.
                        Yeah, didnt he once sing Joe Cocker's legendary song The Letter?........
                        Last edited by 4 the all in brawl; 06-15-2018, 11:27 AM.
                        It looked like a light hearted cheap shot, but as a 10+ year Roosters member who attends home games regularly it does make the blood boil

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
                          I think he threw a plug in for buying "piss" off him from his bottle shop at the same time.
                          Sam was a very good frontrower who was hard to stop near the line. He was an integral member of that great Qld team in the late 80s .
                          Lol......and yeah he was top player....

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

That was 1988.
                            Sam didn't bring that story up, but his Mrs did...................
                            Too funny.........

Comment

'Slamming Sam ' Backo, what a character and legend of the game . As tough a front rower as to ever lace up the boots . Great post Eddie

Comment

Working...
                              X