No announcement yet.

Gould omits Cordner from his NSW Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Boydy will probably be picked anyway, but if he has a big game for us this Sat Gus would have him in the team.
    Looking for him to really bend the line v the Titans.

Comment

What Gould has intimated is to expect some real surprises and that Freddy lives by the motto that new brooms sweep clean. It's not about player's personal ambitions. It's what team will mould together and play for each other. I'm sure we will see surprises. When Fittler has picked his City team, he has always gone on form and been courageous enough to pick who he thinks will get the job done. He picked Matterson when Trent was giving Matto five minures off the bench. He'd seen enough in one Anzac Day game and throughout his junior career. Matterson starred for City and turned the game on its head. He played him in a position he hadn't played before.

It's a big jump City to NSW as the former is a preparatory role and that's why he adopted that approach of the up and comers. But I wouldn't be surprised if he follows the same philosophy for NSW. The key will be in the ball-playing forwards. That's where we will probably see the biggest surprises. Freddy has been highly critical of our, what he considers overly-structured style. So he'll want players who play footy. I'd say Latrell would be high on the list. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crichton get a run either.

Comment

It's Gus being Gus and using a bit of psychology to fire the big fellow up .Cords will be there as Blues captain , and ,we will WIN this time

Comment

Boyd might be the current NSW captain but he ain't no Cameron Smith. I think he's form is suffering for whatever reason. He's not a 1 trick pony cause he has 2 tricks. Run straight or slide to the right and then straighten up. Hoping Gus has given him a wake up call.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
            Boyd might be the current NSW captain but he ain't no Cameron Smith. I think he's form is suffering for whatever reason. He's not a 1 trick pony cause he has 2 tricks. Run straight or slide to the right and then straighten up. Hoping Gus has given him a wake up call.
            For whatever reason, like say that knee injury he carried in to the start of this season?

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post
              What is not being considered is that Gould and Freddy are good mates - a bit like a father and son. Gould could be prefacing Fittler and taking the heat off him, if he doesn't go with Cordner, either as captain or in the side.

Hard to imagine Cordner not being there unless he's not fully fit or carrying an injury. Freddie has a ton of respect for Boyd, but mightn't have been impressed about him going into the third decider underdone. He was ineffective but NSW were so easily contained that he still made more yards than anyone except Klemmer, from memory.
              Freddy would be committing treason against the Roosters if he doesn't select Boyd. I would be shocked if he isn't in the 17. .

Comment

This is just Gould being Gould. Always hypes it up around origin time. Create a bit of controversy. Gus is the master of spin. Nothing new.

Expect Boyd to play a blinder on Saturday because of the public hammering. And will be the first picked for NSW.

Comment

With Gus, you just have to work out which hat he is wearing:
                  Ch 9 hat, Penrith cap, former NSW coach hat etc
                  and then put his comments into context.

With Boyd, he will get a shot. He still pokes his nose through defences and finds his front, which with a sharp dummy half playing up-tempo.. NSW might play a positive style of footy. Especially if the front row get on top.

Re Boyd’s captaincy style, I think he leaves the strategic stuff to the playmakers and talks inspirationally to the team. It’s hard being compared to Cam Smith.
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                    I think Boydy will probably be picked anyway, but if he has a big game for us this Sat Gus would have him in the team.
                    Looking for him to really bend the line v the Titans.
                    He seemed pretty confident in his response. Id have thought that Freddy woulda called him up already, made it clear he is captain and asked a few questions about the direction he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                      With Gus, you just have to work out which hat he is wearing:
                      Ch 9 hat, Penrith cap, former NSW coach hat etc
                      and then put his comments into context.

With Boyd, he will get a shot. He still pokes his nose through defences and finds his front, which with a sharp dummy half playing up-tempo.. NSW might play a positive style of footy. Especially if the front row get on top.

Re Boyd’s captaincy style, I think he leaves the strategic stuff to the playmakers and talks inspirationally to the team. It’s hard being compared to Cam Smith.
                      He finds his front and makes a hole when he runs at the opposition right edge half and often leaves the opposition with one marker. This is where a quick dummy half would capatalize by taking off and creating something off the back of Boyd's run. In origin he will have either Mccinnes or cook coming out of dummy half

Comment

It’s the coaching making him look bad. The stagnation ......the lack of progress is there for all to see.....Jake nothing new for years. JWH nothing new. Aubo nothing new. The list goes on.

i said last year that Robbo has to evolve. He isn’t
                        barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                          It’s the coaching making him look bad. The stagnation ......the lack of progress is there for all to see.....Jake nothing new for years. JWH nothing new. Aubo nothing new. The list goes on.

Well said mate,spot on!
                          I’ve always loved Robbo and the success he has bought to the Club,but unfortunately his failure to evolve and help his players continually improve is costing us big time and will affect us moving forward!
                          We have a gun team on paper,but sadly players are regressing and Uncle Nick’s hard work is being wasted!

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post

Yes...ive been babbling this point for a few seasons now.

We have pretty much always had the cattle under Robbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

He finds his front and makes a hole when he runs at the opposition right edge half and often leaves the opposition with one marker. This is where a quick dummy half would capatalize by taking off and creating something off the back of Boyd's run. In origin he will have either Mccinnes or cook coming out of dummy half
                              Yeah, was having a dig at our dummy half
                              ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Amazing topic as I have been saying this for many many weeks the same as what Gussy Gould is now saying - Cordner's game has stagnated and has no passing/offload skill in his game at all -Only does hit ups - Been in NRL now for quite a while so no reason for his game not to improve in these areas and others - May not have these skills one may say - Will not continue playing rep footy let alone NRL if this doesn't change though no matter if co captain or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X