The Turnaround Pt 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post

Johnny - I think your dad may have been my barber.
    That's funny, it's a small world

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

That's funny, it's a small world
      Yes too funny - I was at Boffa Bakers funeral last year along with your namesake Johnny Brass and team mate Greg Bandiera. Greg and I had a good old laugh of the times around in Bronte Rd.Artie gave Ian Baker the title of the funniest team mate/ practical joker in all of his playing days.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

My dad was born in Crookwell in 1921, so grew up through the depression and had to leave school at age 12 in 1933, he was doing a mans work from that time because they couldn't afford to keep him in school. He was an intelligent man who always regretted missing out on an education. I remember him buying us a set of The Australian Encyclopedia in the late 1950's and studying them most nights when he was in his late 30's . He was 18 when the war started and joined up in 1942 aged 21. He served with the RAE in New Guinea and Borneo for 3 years mainly building roads and bridges, driving heavy equipment. He was invalided out in 1945. Eventually he died of war related injuries in 2005. ., so he only got to see the first 3 Anzac day games, but was really proud to be there ,especially with my brother who would always meet us in his uniform after the march, and a few schooners. He wasn't much of a drinker but always came home merry after meeting his old mates on Anzac day. I grew up in Paddo in the 50's and 60's and my dad and uncle were great Easts fans. We lived in Norfolk Street, hence my name here. They used to take me to the Sports Ground for every home game from as early as I can remember. My brothers and I have been one eyed Easts fans ever since. I remember going to all the home games in 1966 when we never won a game, I guess you can never give up on a team once you have been through that.

What a a great post.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
          I forgot to add I'm unashamedly biased but those names you mentioned were the best team I've seen.
          Parra early 80s and raiders and broncos late 80s early 90s were up there too. Salary cap has made it impossible to assemble that much talent in one team.
          2004GF was the last time superstars played each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

2004GF was the last time superstars played each other.
            Superstars or Superflops?
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread in any way, just to thank the members who made very kind comments about my post remembering my old man. I remember the walks home from each game with dad and my uncle and how they were always discussing the game and were so positive whether we won or lost. They always talked about our players who had done well in any part of the game, maybe about how we could have won if only such and such had happened, about a certain great tackle or kick etc. We hardly ever went out, and they never went to the pub, so going to the footy was the highlight of their week. It actually bought a tear to my eye thinking about those simpler days. Cheers. Go Easts.

Comment

So far your theory looks good.

This is game proves for me yet again that all Saints do is play for penalties. That could be a problem for us.
                Very true JT,I after watching last nights game I’m convinced McGregor coaches them to milk as many penalties as possible,with their hooker the main culprit..
                When would we ever win a penalty count 12-5 away from home lol
                In saying that I believe we will beat them,the Warriors showed last night with quick line speed and manning up to their forwards wil definetly unsettle them..
                If we can get that part right our backs will get them!

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post
                  Very true JT,I after watching last nights game I’m convinced McGregor coaches them to milk as many penalties as possible,with their hooker the main culprit..
                  When would we ever win a penalty count 12-5 away from home lol
                  In saying that I believe we will beat them,the Warriors showed last night with quick line speed and manning up to their forwards wil definetly unsettle them..
                  If we can get that part right our backs will get them!
                  If our forwards fire up we will beat them well.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

My dad was born in Crookwell in 1921, so grew up through the depression and had to leave school at age 12 in 1933, he was doing a mans work from that time because they couldn't afford to keep him in school. He was an intelligent man who always regretted missing out on an education. I remember him buying us a set of The Australian Encyclopedia in the late 1950's and studying them most nights when he was in his late 30's . He was 18 when the war started and joined up in 1942 aged 21. He served with the RAE in New Guinea and Borneo for 3 years mainly building roads and bridges, driving heavy equipment. He was invalided out in 1945. Eventually he died of war related injuries in 2005. ., so he only got to see the first 3 Anzac day games, but was really proud to be there ,especially with my brother who would always meet us in his uniform after the march, and a few schooners. He wasn't much of a drinker but always came home merry after meeting his old mates on Anzac day. I grew up in Paddo in the 50's and 60's and my dad and uncle were great Easts fans. We lived in Norfolk Street, hence my name here. They used to take me to the Sports Ground for every home game from as early as I can remember. My brothers and I have been one eyed Easts fans ever since. I remember going to all the home games in 1966 when we never won a game, I guess you can never give up on a team once you have been through that.
                    Great read.

Comment

If our forwards fire up we will beat them well.
                      I think recovery from Thursday's game is the biggest worry. They will probably train Sunday with the midweek game ahead.

That and our inability to win two straight. Against a Saints team coming off a loss, albeit one with a lot of travel, will be challenging.
                      ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                        I think recovery from Thursday's game is the biggest worry. They will probably train Sunday with the midweek game ahead.

That and our inability to win two straight. Against a Saints team coming off a loss, albeit one with a lot of travel, will be challenging.
                        Getting up for the next game after a big game is the main concern - two very very ordinary performances so far this year after previous big games - Warriors (After Knights game they won 38-8) and Vermin (After Sharks game they won 28-10).- Looked very very flat in both of those losses. Robbo should give them to Sunday off and train again on Monday- 2 sessions (Monday and Tuesday)

They have won back to back games once this year though - Dogs (30-12) and Knights (38-8) games

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Getting up for the next game after a big game is the main concern - two very very ordinary performances so far this year after previous big games - Warriors (After Knights game they won 38-8) and Vermin (After Sharks game they won 28-10).- Looked very very flat in both of those losses. Robbo should give them to Sunday off and train again on Monday- 2 sessions (Monday and Tuesday)

They have won back to back games once this year though - Dogs (30-12) and Knights (38-8) games
                          Saints will have a bigger problem getting up after a big Friday night game against Auckland where they were hit hard and often. Them having to fly home on Saturday and play again on Wednesday plus us playing them at home surely gives us some advantage. Quite often after a string of wins a club loses not only one game , but two. I am hoping that will be the case here. Didn't I see Widdop picked up an injury as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post

It’s worse for them.

Comment

This game is on the Coach and his smarts,interesting to see how he approaches the game..
                              Generally when a team loses a game after an undefeated run the following teams they play dissect the weaknesses and play on a similar formula..
                              Their were a few glaring weaknesses in the Dragons the other night and we have the team to capitalise,Robbo needs to get them ready and firing!

Comment

I know because of the day Anzac Day falls on this year it's made it impossible for the nrl to do much about it but clubs should not have to endure 5 day turnarounds especially after playing in New Zealand or townsville.
                                It isn't fair on the players or the clubs

Comment

Working...
                                X