The Turnaround Pt 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
    I grew up in Paddo in the 50's and 60's and my dad and uncle were great Easts fans. We lived in Norfolk Street, hence my name here. They used to take me to the Sports Ground for every home game from as early as I can remember. My brothers and I have been one eyed Easts fans ever since. I remember going to all the home games in 1966 when we never won a game, I guess you can never give up on a team once you have been through that.
    Thanks for the post, good read.
    My grandfather used to live in Sutho street in Paddo. My old man grew up there during the depression.
    I never lived in the Eastern Suburbs, but got told they were my local team as a kid.
    I asked dad why all the other kids at school supported another team and he told me they were just stupid.
    Had a lot of fights at primary school.

1966 is my dads favourite story about grand dad. I was too young when he passed to remember a lot about him.
    Apparently we played st george in the last round of that winless year at the sports ground.
    The match of the day was on at the SCG.
    Dad tried to tell his old man that perhaps they should go to the SCG as he didn't wanna see us get belted. He reckons pop nearly killed him for saying that.
    He wouldn't watch a game unless Easts were playing no matter what.
    In the end we only lost by 1 point............

Comment

sst for fpn on the bench
      fpn will not last the speed and intensity of the anzac game

Comment

My dad was born in Crookwell in 1921, so grew up through the depression and had to leave school at age 12 in 1933, he was doing a mans work from that time because they couldn't afford to keep him in school. He was an intelligent man who always regretted missing out on an education. I remember him buying us a set of The Australian Encyclopedia in the late 1950's and studying them most nights when he was in his late 30's . He was 18 when the war started and joined up in 1942 aged 21. He served with the RAE in New Guinea and Borneo for 3 years mainly building roads and bridges, driving heavy equipment. He was invalided out in 1945. Eventually he died of war related injuries in 2005. ., so he only got to see the first 3 Anzac day games, but was really proud to be there ,especially with my brother who would always meet us in his uniform after the march, and a few schooners. He wasn't much of a drinker but always came home merry after meeting his old mates on Anzac day. I grew up in Paddo in the 50's and 60's and my dad and uncle were great Easts fans. We lived in Norfolk Street, hence my name here. They used to take me to the Sports Ground for every home game from as early as I can remember. My brothers and I have been one eyed Easts fans ever since. I remember going to all the home games in 1966 when we never won a game, I guess you can never give up on a team once you have been through that.
        You deserve a medal for going to all the 1966 home games. And GREAT POST by the way.

1966 - oh my. I was paying no attention to the maths and drawing in my exercise book when the teacher hooked me out to the front of the class. I didn't get the cane when he saw the drawing of an Easts player, Gwyl Barnes, with the red, white and blue. Instead he showed it to the class. And then said well they can't go any worse than last year, except if they lose EVERY game. I was heading for Jubilee Oval that weekend to play the mighty Saints, hoping for a miracle. They went down 26 nil. It was a long year in the maths class. The miracle followed in 67.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

Worriers with Johnson and Kata would have been a good chance.
          I have this theory that they play better without roadblock Johnson. time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Thanks for the post, good read.
            My grandfather used to live in Sutho street in Paddo. My old man grew up there during the depression.
            I never lived in the Eastern Suburbs, but got told they were my local team as a kid.
            I asked dad why all the other kids at school supported another team and he told me they were just stupid.
            Had a lot of fights at primary school.

1966 is my dads favourite story about grand dad. I was too young when he passed to remember a lot about him.
            Apparently we played st george in the last round of that winless year at the sports ground.
            The match of the day was on at the SCG.
            Dad tried to tell his old man that perhaps they should go to the SCG as he didn't wanna see us get belted. He reckons pop nearly killed him for saying that.
            He wouldn't watch a game unless Easts were playing no matter what.
            In the end we only lost by 1 point............

Mate, I think that game your dad told you about against Saints at the SCG was the last round in 1962, and we WON by one point, 7 to 6. We didn't get many games at the SCG as we weren't doing very well and it was picked for two of the top sides. I don't think we played any games there in 1963, and only played one game there in 1964 against Manly. then we didn't get to play there again til 1967 when we beat Canterbury 18 to 2, we were huge underdogs as the berries were leading the comp. I was at all those games, and against the Berries it was a mud heap, and we ran out in fresh jerseys for the second half while the Berries came out in their muddy jerseys, it had never been done before, another Jack Gibson initiative, but it demoralised the Berries for sure. I remember Larpa Stewart scoring a try and Kevin Junee as well I think and Alan Mckean kicking 4 goals and Kevin Ashley 2 field goals, which were worth 2 points each at the time. I used to write my team out on paper, in position every week. Wow, over 50 yeas ago but still clear as day.
            Last edited by NorfolkStreetKid; 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopstiks View Post

I have this theory that they play better without roadblock Johnson. time will tell.
              So far your theory looks good.

This is game proves for me yet again that all Saints do is play for penalties. That could be a problem for us.

Comment

Mate, I think that game your dad told you about against Saints at the SCG was the last round in 1962, and we WON by one point, 7 to 6. We didn't get many games at the SCG as we weren't doing very well and it was picked for two of the top sides. I don't think we played any games there in 1963, and only played one game there in 1964 against Manly. then we didn't get to play there again til 1967 when we beat Canterbury 18 to 2, we were huge underdogs as the berries were leading the comp. I was at all those games, and against the Berries it was a mud heap, and we ran out in fresh jerseys for the second half while the Berries came out in their muddy jerseys, it had never been done before, another Jack Gibson initiative, but it demoralised the Berries for sure. I remember Larpa Stewart scoring a try and Kevin Junee as well I think and Alan Mckean kicking 4 goals and Kevin Ashley 2 field goals, which were worth 2 points each at the time. I used to write my team out on paper, in position every week. Wow, over 50 yeas ago but still clear as day.
                This poster is a treasure. I want more like him.

Comment

My dad was born in Crookwell in 1921, so grew up through the depression and had to leave school at age 12 in 1933, he was doing a mans work from that time because they couldn't afford to keep him in school. He was an intelligent man who always regretted missing out on an education. I remember him buying us a set of The Australian Encyclopedia in the late 1950's and studying them most nights when he was in his late 30's . He was 18 when the war started and joined up in 1942 aged 21. He served with the RAE in New Guinea and Borneo for 3 years mainly building roads and bridges, driving heavy equipment. He was invalided out in 1945. Eventually he died of war related injuries in 2005. ., so he only got to see the first 3 Anzac day games, but was really proud to be there ,especially with my brother who would always meet us in his uniform after the march, and a few schooners. He wasn't much of a drinker but always came home merry after meeting his old mates on Anzac day. I grew up in Paddo in the 50's and 60's and my dad and uncle were great Easts fans. We lived in Norfolk Street, hence my name here. They used to take me to the Sports Ground for every home game from as early as I can remember. My brothers and I have been one eyed Easts fans ever since. I remember going to all the home games in 1966 when we never won a game, I guess you can never give up on a team once you have been through that.
                  Nice read, Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

So far your theory looks good.

This is game proves for me yet again that all Saints do is play for penalties. That could be a problem for us.
                    I know, the penalty kings. They will be banking on it against us! Noticed Sims go for an Oscar with his theatrical flop too. Dodgy dragons. Can't wait.

Comment

It was a lovely read.
                      For as long as I can remember I was going to the Sports ground with my dad, pop & older brother. My pop knew the guy on the Roosters dressing sheds door, we used to wait around after the match for about 40 minutes & then go into the sheds & this was in 73 & 74. For an 8 Y.O like me it was unbelievable. They would all walk around in the nude & my height was around the same height as Arties ol fella so my dad would cut pictures out of the paper & stick them in my book & then tell me to get say Arties autograph so I would walk over to this big big man who was built like a horse & ask for his autograph. Very scary. I still have to this day my autograph book with the entire 74 Roosters team. Fairfax, Porter, Brass, Harris, Mullins, Peard, Mayes, Coote, Bunny Reilly, Artie, Ian Mackay, Walters & Des O'Reilly, Bruce Pickett, Grant Hedger, Stumpy Stevens , Ian Schubert. Never got big Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by chopstiks View Post

I know, the penalty kings. They will be banking on it against us! Noticed Sims go for an Oscar with his theatrical flop too. Dodgy dragons. Can't wait.
                        Like how he then got up and started high fiving his team mates? He was so proud of taking that dive.

Comment

Interesting that whinger McGregor complained of the Warriors go slow tactic on their goal line - the same tactic against us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

It was a lovely read.
                            For as long as I can remember I was going to the Sports ground with my dad, pop & older brother. My pop knew the guy on the Roosters dressing sheds door, we used to wait around after the match for about 40 minutes & then go into the sheds & this was in 73 & 74. For an 8 Y.O like me it was unbelievable. They would all walk around in the nude & my height was around the same height as Arties ol fella so my dad would cut pictures out of the paper & stick them in my book & then tell me to get say Arties autograph so I would walk over to this big big man who was built like a horse & ask for his autograph. Very scary. I still have to this day my autograph book with the entire 74 Roosters team. Fairfax, Porter, Brass, Harris, Mullins, Peard, Mayes, Coote, Bunny Reilly, Artie, Ian Mackay, Walters & Des O'Reilly, Bruce Pickett, Grant Hedger, Stumpy Stevens , Ian Schubert. Never got big Jacks.
                            Dad used to work on the door at East's in the late 60s and early 70s so I'm a rooster from the cradle to the grave . He told me he used to keep a pair of scissors in the foyer and give blokes a quick haircut to let them in if their hair was below the collar.
                            He used to take me to the sports ground but he had an annoying habit to leave the ground early to " beat the traffic " . We'd be leaving the ground and you would hear an almighty roar as the roosters scored a late try... Incredibly frustrating for a kid.

Comment

I forgot to add I'm unashamedly biased but those names you mentioned were the best team I've seen.
                              Parra early 80s and raiders and broncos late 80s early 90s were up there too. Salary cap has made it impossible to assemble that much talent in one team.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

Dad used to work on the door at East's in the late 60s and early 70s so I'm a rooster from the cradle to the grave . He told me he used to keep a pair of scissors in the foyer and give blokes a quick haircut to let them in if their hair was below the collar.
                                He used to take me to the sports ground but he had an annoying habit to leave the ground early to " beat the traffic " . We'd be leaving the ground and you would hear an almighty roar as the roosters scored a late try... Incredibly frustrating for a kid.
                                Johnny - I think your dad may have been my barber.

Comment

Working...
                                X