Code wars: Roosters’ secret meeting with teen prodigy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code wars: Roosters’ secret meeting with teen prodigy

MEET the 16-year-old New Zealand schoolboy being chased by NRL and Super Rugby clubs on both sides of the Tasman.

Christian Tuipulotu is so talented he has been part of the Warriors system since a young age but is coming off-contract, opening the door for an eye-popping battle for his signature.

Almost every club in the NRL is chasing him.

A centre who looks equally at home in the back row, Tuipulotu started meeting with potential suitors last week.

In fact, foxsports.com.au can reveal the Roosters flew the prospect to Queenstown to join the team while they were in New Zealand for a pre-season training camp.

The meetings will continue with both codes this month.

While he’s a strong defender, it’s his late footwork at the line which has clubs so excited.

A similar player to Kiwi international Tohu Harris, aside from his freakish talents, his leadership qualities are equally impressive.

While his manager Daniel O’Loughlin was reluctant to discuss his client’s future, he did confirm there’s been no shortage of interest in the young gun.

“He’s with the Warriors and in his last year at school,” O’Loughlin told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s fielding interest but that’s not our priority at the moment.”

A cross-code star, Tuipulotu captained the New Zealand under 16s last season, claiming the Auckland player of the year award for the second straight year.

A product of famed New Zealand rugby league school St Paul’s College, Warriors general manager Brian Smith has started talks to keep the gun in Auckland.

“We’re reluctant to discuss contracts in the public domain,” Smith told foxsports.com.au.

“What I will say is we are vitally interested in him. His brother is already part of our club. We’re keen for him to join his brother.

”That opened the door to the Auckland Blues where he was recently involved with their academy squad.

While the Super Rugby franchise is keen on the gun, who’ll celebrate his 17th birthday this month, it’s understood they’re resigned to not being able to compete with cashed up NRL clubs.

Earlier this month, Tuipulotu was named as a finalist for the NZRL under 16s player of the year.

On Monday, he was declared the winner.

Not only has Tuipulotu been blessed with freakish talents on the field, he’s also academically gifted.

With the young man’s studies of the utmost importance, O’Loughlin stressed there’s no hurry to finalise his future.

“Finishing school is the priority,” he said. “We’ll make a call on his future in due course.”

There is that many Kiwi’s/Islander boys coming out of NZ playing NRL now that they should have their own comp.
    The NRL is going to be like the EPL soon. There will be more overseas players than Aussie players. I think they have to bring in a rule where each club can only have 5 or 6 non Australians in their squads.
    "Originally posted by Elvis Rooster"
    So while most of us were getting excited about the start of the season our resident Junkie Jim the Jailbird, the guy who would like to break into your house and steal your tv and toaster, Mickey Lane is at it again. Here is his latest beauty.
    ​"Do you want white or wholemeal toast?"
    I tell you guys this is one sick son of a bitch;

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
      There is that many Kiwi’s/Islander boys coming out of NZ playing NRL now that they should have their own comp.
      The NRL is going to be like the EPL soon. There will be more overseas players than Aussie players. I think they have to bring in a rule where each club can only have 5 or 6 non Australians in their squads.
      But what about the 'Dreamers'?
      "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Aussie players should get better if they want spots in the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

This.

Comment

Bingo. I don’t want the best players getting forced out by some stupid protectionist policy. I don’t wanna see soft, white kids dominating clubs while gun islanders/kiwis struggle to find contracts.

If anything, I highly value ethnic diversity in the NRL. With rugby becoming an olympic sport, I kinda hope we’re gonna see some gun players coming out of China, Russia, USA...etc. There’s so much potential if more countries can start teaching people how to handle a footy from a young age!!

And sorry but faaaark me... a 16y/o who looks fit and makes Cords look tiny is insane!!! Very impressive physique there.
            Last edited by ism22; 02-13-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I was more coming from that NZ need to have their own comp. I think they would have a better standard of players than England & it would be a better world club challenge if the teams finishing in both comps played off to be named the champion RL team.
              "Originally posted by Elvis Rooster"
              So while most of us were getting excited about the start of the season our resident Junkie Jim the Jailbird, the guy who would like to break into your house and steal your tv and toaster, Mickey Lane is at it again. Here is his latest beauty.
              ​"Do you want white or wholemeal toast?"
              I tell you guys this is one sick son of a bitch;

Comment

I was more coming from that NZ need to have their own comp. I think they would have a better standard of players than England & it would be a better world club challenge if the teams finishing in both comps played off to be named the champion RL team.
                yeah but they'd have to compete directly with a bunch of guys kicking penalty goals for fans, cant see them winning that battle

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Bingo. I don’t want the best players getting forced out by some stupid protectionist policy. I don’t wanna see soft, white kids dominating clubs while gun islanders/kiwis struggle to find contracts.

If anything, I highly value ethnic diversity in the NRL. With rugby becoming an olympic sport, I kinda hope we’re gonna see some gun players coming out of China, Russia, USA...etc. There’s so much potential if more countries can start teaching people how to handle a footy from a young age!!

And sorry but faaaark me... a 16y/o who looks fit and makes Cords look tiny is insane!!! Very impressive physique there.
                  Yeah who can also apparently play center? So you'd assume he's athletic too, not just huge.

And that's 100% it, the more diversity in the game, the better the product gets, I want to see the best players possible, who cares where they're from.

Comment

WOW. 16 years old and that big all ready.
                    Sign him quick. Centre for us for a few years.

Comment

For a negative take....

Look what happened to Suli (Tigers to Bulldogs) in space of a year
                      "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Tau Tau Moga, anyone?
                        Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Can he defend in the NRL at centre?
                          Get out of the way, I'm next

Comment

Is he a prodigy or is he just bigger than everyone else his age aka Tony Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post
                              Tau Tau Moga, anyone?
                              Or he could end up like Latrell, gotta take some risks.

Comment

Working...
                              X