Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sydney Roosters players to wear name of a woman who inspires them on their jerseys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Roosters players to wear name of a woman who inspires them on their jerseys

How good is our club?

And we have the best major sponsor too.

(to see the photos of players with their inspiring woman go to the link)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...857dc95f37346c

Sydney Roosters players to wear name of a woman who inspires them on their jerseys

JAMES PHELPS, The Sunday Telegraph
    July 15, 2017 7:19pm
    Subscriber only

FOR some it’s their mum, but Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves reckons he owes his continuing footy success to his wife, Chelsea.

The NRL hard man will reveal his soft side when he wears his sweetheart’s name emblazoned across his jersey on Friday night in a “Women in League” round promotion.

Revealing how Chelsea had taken away his anger and extended his NRL career, Waerea-Hargreaves said: “She has calmed me down for sure.

FOR EVERY ROOSTERS DEDICATION SCROLL DOWN

“Before I met her I only played for myself and I didn’t really think about the consequences of what I did on or off the field.

“She is certainly the reason why I play now and the person I play for.’’

In a rugby league first, each Roosters player will wear the name of a woman they have nominated as an inspiration on the front of their jersey when they take on the Knights at Allianz Stadium, with major sponsor Steggles donating their jersey rights space.

“For most of the guys it is their mothers,’’ Waerea-Hargreaves said. “And I actually copped a bit for picking my wife because there was a bit of a locker-room decision where everyone agreed that we should pick our mums to avoid potential fights. So yeah, I broke ranks a bit, but I can’t go past Chelsea and what she means to me.’’

Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary will honour his mother, *Dianne.

“We’re all so excited about this initiative by Steggles,’’ Keary said. “I wouldn’t be where I am without my mother and I’m proud to be able to honour her this way.

“Mum has always put me and my brothers first and has made a lot of sacrifices over the years to give us boys the opportunity to pursue our goals, so this is really special.”

The Women in League program was established in 2007 to recognise the 450,000 female participants in rugby league as players, family members, employees, volunteers or club members.
    The most influential woman in each Roosters player’s life

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves: Chelsea (wife)

“I’m incredibly grateful and thankful to have my wife Chelsea by my side. It’s important to have a support network around us, and I definitely have that – Chelsea has always been there for me, and I wouldn’t be where I am without her.”Mitchell Aubusson with wife Laura.

Mitchell Aubusson: Laura (wife)

“Being in such a high-pressure environment, it’s coming home and knowing there’s a loving face who’s always proud of you. The loyalty Laura shows me and our family is second-to-none and it’s a quality I love in her, and I hope our baby inherits this and many of her other traits too.”Boyd Cordner (left) with his mother Lanai and his brother Dane.

Boyd Cordner: Lanai (mother)

“I know mum is with me every day, and I hope I make her proud. It’s so special for me and my family to be able to honour her this way.”Mitchell Cornish with partner Abbey, son Noah and daughter Ruby.

Mitchell Cornish: Abbey (partner)

“Abbey is an incredible mother to our two children, and partner to me. All our family is back home, so Abbey pretty much does it all. The three of us are lucky to have her, and I’m stoked to be able to recognise her this way.”Kane Evans with his mother Jeannette.

Kane Evans: Jeannette (mother)

“My mother’s made me the man I am today by raising me and teaching me how to treat other people, and how to love other people even if they don’t love me, so she’s my No.1 lady.”Blake Ferguson's partner Bianca with sons Harlo and London.

Blake Ferguson: Bianca (partner)

“I’m so grateful to Bianca for our two beautiful boys and for everything she does for them.”
    ​Jake Friend with mother Julie (centre), father and brothers.
    Jake Friend: Julie (mother)

“I try and go about my business a bit like my mum. She just turns up and does her thing and there’s nothing you can ask of her that’s too much. She’s a tough woman for putting up with us boys, and the three of us definitely know how lucky we are.”
    ​Michael Gordon with his mother Shirley.
    Michael Gordon: Shirley (mother)

“Mum shaped me in a lot of ways and I’m a big mummy’s boy. The hard work and raising three kids on her own - we never had a lot of money growing up but we never wanted for anything. She’s always been there for me and I know she always will be.”
    ​Aidan Guerra with his mother Helen.
    Aidan Guerra: Helen (mother)

“Mum was - and still is - the heart of our family home, and since my fiancée and I had our daughter Olive, I realise even more everything mum did for me and my brothers. Thanks Helen, love ya!”
    ​Luke Keary with fiancee Amy (left) father, brother and mother Dianne.
    Luke Keary: Dianne (mother)

“The three words that come to mind when I think of my mum are caring, selfless and beautiful. I wouldn’t be in the position I am today without her. The little things like driving to training and taking care of me and my two brothers through school, and basically making sacrifices in her life for ours.”

Isaac Liu: Jessica (partner)

“Jess has been with me since day one and I’m a very lucky man. This is just a small way I can acknowledge Jess for all her unwavering love and support over the years.”
    ​Joseph Manu with his mother Darnel.
    Joseph Manu: Darnel (mother)

“My family means everything to me, and my mum is our rock. She’s taught me so much and I’m just so excited to be able to honour everything she has done for not only me, but our entire family, over the years.”
    ​Ryan Matterson with mother Sondra Matterson.
    Ryan Matterson: Sondra (mother)

“My mum’s 100% selfless. It’s hard to say that to her face-to-face sometimes, because you try and be tough, but the fact of the matter is, I really need her in my life and I’m so lucky to always have her in my corner
    ​Latrell Mitchell with mother Patricia and niece Yuliya.
    Latrell Mitchell: Patricia (mother)

“My mum means everything to me. She always puts her family first and has always looked out for me and my brothers.”
    ​Dylan Napa with his mother Karen (left) and grandmother Norma.
    Dylan Napa: Norma (grandmother)

“I’m lucky to have some very strong female influences in my life with my mum Karen and my sister Lindsay, but the No.1 lady in my life is my Grandma Norma. I love spending time with her, and hope I make her proud
    ​Mitchell Pearce with mother Terri Pearce.
    Mitchell Pearce: Terri (mother)

“I idolise my mum. She stands up for what she believes in but is very loving at the same time. She’s the one who’s always there and always got my back, no matter what. That’s the best feeling in the world, and I can’t wait to run out in a jersey with her name on it.”

Sio Siua Taukeiaho: Tina (mother)

“I’m grateful to my mother for her unconditional love and I’m proud to celebrate her this week.”

Zane Tetevano: Mikayla (partner)

​Zane Tetevano with partner Mikayla and son Zarius.

“I’m a lucky man to have a partner like Mikayla, and the way she looks after our little family is something I’m very grateful for.”
    ​Daniel Tupou with mother Ofa.
    Daniel Tupou: Ofa (mother)

“My mum and dad have made so many sacrifices for me and my sisters over the years. Mum works harder than anyone I know, and it’s all for us kids. She’s the most generous person I know, and I’m so lucky she’s my mum.”
    ​Connor Watson with mother Jodie (left), younger brother and father.
    Connor Watson: Jodie (mother)

“I can’t think of a single time mum hasn’t been there for me. I realise how fortunate I am to have the mother that I do, and I’m proud to honour her this way.”
    Last edited by Johnny Tobin; 07-16-2017, 08:46 AM.

I miss when the footy was just about the footy.

Comment

Another great initiative.
      Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

I think we have all mentioned toops mums name on numerous occasions last year when he would drop a sitter...OFA

Comment

Great idea and really well executed. The AFL is a long way ahead of the NRL as far as being inclusive - the game needs to build its base in order to survive in any meaningful way.

btw, how basic is fergo

Comment

Great stuff from Easts and Steggles.

Comment

I'm glad Linda Lovelace didn't get a gig.

Comment

I'd have Tara Rushton on mine!

Comment

Originally posted by The ticket View Post
                  Great idea and really well executed. The AFL is a long way ahead of the NRL as far as being inclusive - the game needs to build its base in order to survive in any meaningful way.

btw, how basic is fergo
                  except for all the racism

Comment

Yeah its a nice touch. All respect to women but its getting hard to watch a panel of beautiful women discussing footy tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bondicigar View Post
                      Yeah its a nice touch. All respect to women but its getting hard to watch a panel of beautiful women discussing footy tactics.
                      What's getting hard?

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

What's getting hard?
                        Hahaha my evonne samsung remote control

Comment

It's a pity Skd's not with us anymore. But I'm not sure "That C***" would be apropos on his jersey.
                          SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by The ticket View Post

btw, how basic is fergo
                            Probably because he recently separated from his partner and boarding with his self proclaimed cuzz "The Man".

Comment

Great initiative, sure to fire the players up to given they'll be representing someone very special to them.

however if an opposition player doesn't take the opportunity to say "i just smashed your mum" after tackling one of us then they are missing a great sledging opportunity

Comment

Working...
                              X