Good Pearce Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Pearce Article

State of Origin: Mitchell Pearce is still the best halfback option for NSW Blues in bid for redemption

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    July 13, 2017 3:26pm
    Subscriber only

MITCHELL Pearce is the easy punching bag for angry NSW fans right now but getting rid of the much-maligned halfback is not going to solve the Blues’ problems.

In the aftermath on Wednesday night’s Suncorp Stadium disaster, the blowtorch was directed straight at Pearce who has gone 18 Origins without a series win or a man of the match award.

While everyone wants to point the finger at Pearce — who admittedly didn’t have his best game in the decider — no one could argue he wasn’t the form playmaker available to NSW going into this series.

Even in hindsight you would struggle to find a better alternative.

SORRY: Shattered Blues return home

RATINGS: Who starred, who struggled Mitchell Pearce has become the scapegoat again for NSW’s failings. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    Matt Moylan is considered the man most likely to get the next shot at a halves berth although his form for Penrith hasn’t been great this year, while Adam Reynolds has hardly set the world on fire for Souths.

Jack Bird, who was used off the bench in all three games this series, is another option for 2018 at five-eighth.

With respect to Moylan, Bird and Reynolds, do you really think any of those players would have changed the result on Wednesday night?

You already know the answer even though it seems the majority still want to blame Pearce for the Blues’ 11th series loss in 12 attempts.

Like Andrew Johns and Phil Gould said, the problems for NSW go much deeper than singling out Pearce and it has more to do with overall leadership and mentality than the performance of any individual.

The fact is Cameron Smith was the best player on the field by a long way and his combination with Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater gave Queensland something NSW could only dream of having, regardless of who Laurie Daley picked.

Those three were at another level and that allowed Cameron Munster to slot in and play his natural game without having to take ownership of the team.

While Johnathan Thurston has already announced his retirement from the Origin arena, even if Cronk elects to bow out, the Queenslanders still have a long list of halves ready to take the next step.

Anthony Milford got a taste in game one this year while Munster, Michael Morgan, Daly Cherry-Evans, Corey Norman and potentially Ash Taylor are all on their radar.

Compare that to the halves available for NSW. A list that really only includes Pearce, Maloney, Moylan, Bird, Adam Reynolds, Luke Keary, Chad Townsend and potentially Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses.

It’s hardly a fair playing field for whoever will be coaching NSW next year, if Daley doesn’t stay on.

Throw in the fact that hooker Nathan Peats also came under fire for not showing enough creativity at dummy half.

Like the Pearce debate, if it wasn’t Peats who else has the game to get anywhere near Smith? Manly rake Api Koroisau was mentioned at one point and there is no doubt he is a young player with great potential.

But again, Queensland’s list of dummy-half options is much richer with the likes of Jake Friend, Andrew McCullough and Jake Granville far more experienced if and when Smith decides to call it a day.

The Blues have problems but if they don’t find the right solutions, they will linger and the same debate will start up again this time next year.
    Roosters For Ever

Surely no more Daley, no more Pearce ?????????? (Though I'm a huge fan of Pearce, and was shattered on Wednesday night)

Will NSW ever have the 'passion' and 'as Cronk stated - Will & Desire' of Queenlanders. I'd add talent / skill (under pressure) . Just look at the names in the above article
    Last edited by PeeGee; 07-14-2017, 09:22 AM.
    Roosters For Ever

Comment

My thing is... Pearce probably played better than Cronk on the day.

Halves look great if the team's winning because all the blocks are sitting in the right place for you. Replace Pearce with Cronk and would NSW have won? Fark no!!!

IMO part of our problem is that we sacrifice good players, all because we are losing. Looking forward, I reckon NSW probably have better halves options than QLD. We just need a bit of confidence and success.

To me we mostly lacked the confidence to sell outselves at Suncorp. Early on, Slater milked a crucial pathetic penalty by pretending he'd been pushed over (nobody touched him!! It was soccer-esque!!) Holmes then 'scored' a try by intentionally throwing the ball towards the try line as he was bundled into touch, while slapping at the ball (he knew he'd been done, but had the confidence to sell it as a legit try regardless). In both cases, the players SOLD their claims! Our chasers were obstructed every time the went searching for tries... Hayne did a sissy-style sell (that nobody listened to) and the rest just copped it on the chin. Result? QLD were never under any pressure from kicks because they successfully blocked out all chasers.

IMO we lack the ability to sell ourselves because we're used to losing everything...

I dunno how to break this pattern, but sacking Pearce won't do it. I reckon we just need a few old QLD leaders to retire and we'll be 'right.
      Last edited by ism22; 07-14-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
        My thing is... Pearce probably played better than Cronk on the day.

Halves look great if the team's winning because all the blocks are sitting in the right place for you. Replace Pearce with Cronk and would NSW have won? Fark no!!!

IMO part of our problem is that we sacrifice good players, all because we are losing. Looking forward, I reckon NSW probably have better halves options than QLD. We just need a bit of confidence and success.

To me we mostly lacked the confidence to sell outselves at Suncorp. Early on, Slater milked a crucial pathetic penalty by pretending he'd been pushed over (nobody touched him!! It was soccer-esque!!) Holmes then 'scored' a try by intentionally throwing the ball towards the try line as he was bundled into touch, while slapping at the ball (he knew he'd been done, but had the confidence to sell it as a legit try regardless). In both cases, the players SOLD their claims! Our chasers were obstructed every time the went searching for tries... Hayne did a sissy-style sell (that nobody listened to) and the rest just copped it on the chin. Result? QLD were never under any pressure from kicks because they successfully blocked out all chasers.

IMO we lack the ability to sell ourselves because we're used to losing everything...

I dunno how to break this pattern, but sacking Pearce won't do it. I reckon we just need a few old QLD leaders to retire and we'll be 'right.
        Dont know about queenslanders retiring they may dro a series and they always bounce back the turds
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

From another Thread............AWESOME

This is spot on!

I want to use this photo to conclude State of Origin, 2017. Two years ago, Mitchell Pearce was curled up on the floor, tears in his eyes, like his world was over, he lost another State of Origin Series. Another series gone by and he is still a loser, a tough word, but that's the reality he faces. But there's a distinct difference. People will say it's Mitchell Pearce's fault, two years ago he wouldn't accept it, today he will. But after three Origins in 2017, in which he broke the most carries in a game by any player in Origin history, covered the most distance on field by any player in the Origin Series, scored two tries, and was the fastest player on field in Game 2 and 3, that's something to be proud of, and proud he is. To be able to do so, you have to be extremely fit. So you may be thinking, what's the distinct difference between Mitchell Pearce in 2015 and Mitchell Pearce now? He's battered, bruised, bleeding, but... He is standing tall. He gave it his all, and stats don't lie. Until the greats of our game retire, who all happen to play for Queensland, Mitchell Pearce will be a loser, and so will his team mates around him. Adam Reynolds is not NSW's magical saviour, he lost both games he played for New South Wales last year, neither is Luke Brooks, neither is Nathan Cleary. It took Jarryd Hayne brilliance and an injured Cooper Cronk for Trent Hodkinson (Newcastle Knights' reserve grade halfback) to run through a massive gap to end Queensland's streak. There is no magical solution for New South Wales' success. His time will come, New South Wales' time will come, and he will one day be a State of Origin Winner.

Roosters For Ever

Comment

Showed more intent and guts than most, what should have happened was for Teddy to receive the kick off, pass to Pearce for the hit up, Pearce to break the line and / or offload back to Teddy who scores. Shoulda been the game plan all night and everybody would love him.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeGee View Post
              From another Thread............AWESOME

This is spot on!

I want to use this photo to conclude State of Origin, 2017. Two years ago, Mitchell Pearce was curled up on the floor, tears in his eyes, like his world was over, he lost another State of Origin Series. Another series gone by and he is still a loser, a tough word, but that's the reality he faces. But there's a distinct difference. People will say it's Mitchell Pearce's fault, two years ago he wouldn't accept it, today he will. But after three Origins in 2017, in which he broke the most carries in a game by any player in Origin history, covered the most distance on field by any player in the Origin Series, scored two tries, and was the fastest player on field in Game 2 and 3, that's something to be proud of, and proud he is. To be able to do so, you have to be extremely fit. So you may be thinking, what's the distinct difference between Mitchell Pearce in 2015 and Mitchell Pearce now? He's battered, bruised, bleeding, but... He is standing tall. He gave it his all, and stats don't lie. Until the greats of our game retire, who all happen to play for Queensland, Mitchell Pearce will be a loser, and so will his team mates around him. Adam Reynolds is not NSW's magical saviour, he lost both games he played for New South Wales last year, neither is Luke Brooks, neither is Nathan Cleary. It took Jarryd Hayne brilliance and an injured Cooper Cronk for Trent Hodkinson (Newcastle Knights' reserve grade halfback) to run through a massive gap to end Queensland's streak. There is no magical solution for New South Wales' success. His time will come, New South Wales' time will come, and he will one day be a State of Origin Winner.

This!

Comment

Forwards win matches and well NSW forwards were dominated at the ruck and in field position in all sets of 6 including completion rates and discipline- People bag MP as his kicks were easily taken by the QLD back three- but he was kicking from 40 metres out from the NSW goal line or so most times - Very very rarely were NSW in a position for an attacking kick due to the lack of yardage made in the sets of 6- Don't know if he will get another go but if he's the form 1/2 they will have to pick him - All depends on who the coaches will be since Daley most likely wont be re-appointed - I would very much go with a trio of Freddy as head coach and Joey and Fitzy as assistants and Gussy as a consultant/advisor - I know people will say oh Rooster people will pick Rooster players but I know they wont - they will pick players they feel will do the job despite any club loyalty as former players/coach and or consultants.

Comment

QLD will surely milk these upcoming retirements in future series - Cronk/Slater/Smith for instance- could be 3 years before NSW can win again -Be this do it for the Gipper stuff and QLD FOGS in Suncorp Stadium Wheelchairs being pushed up and down the sidelines to inspire them??

THURSTON IS CONFIDENT OF REVERSE PARALLEL PARKING PLENTY OF TRIES THIS SERIES.

Comment

There was no better alternative to Pearce. Selectors definitely made some wrong calls though - Hayne & Dugan should never have been in the centres, Ferguson & Morris also didn't warrant their positions. Where was Jennings? He's been a standout for the blues for years and no selection this year due to injury? Turbo and Dylan walker should have been on one side of the field - Roberts on the other with Dugan/Toupou/Croker taking the wing spot - either of them would do. There's been talk about woods & fajita going missing - Fafita needs to be there, but probably on the bench. Woods should have been replaced by Paul Vaughan, how that guy didn't play origin this year is unbelievable. Daley needs to go as well - not just for his coaching but the fact that he has leaned in way too close to the playing group - his relationships with the players have hurt his objective selection capability. In saying all this I highly doubt Pearce will ever play origin again - he doesn't need the distraction anyway.

Comment

So sick of QLD and origin.

I wonder what these bullshyte exibition games do for the NSW RL supporter base.

I mean QLD have had the 4-5 best players in the world for 12 or so years.

Unfortunately for us they will always claim that underdog tag, and will ALWAYS have more passion, 'will and desire' than NSW. It's just the way it is.

We may jag a game here or there, or even a series, but over time they will keep winning. 11 of the last 12 series, now that's a stat. They HATE NSW. They truly do. Tommy baby was correct when he said there needs to be a hate element. That what gives QLD that extra 10-20% every year.

yeah I probably sound like a whinger but I'm only stating the facts. I hate origin and the damage it does to the competition proper every year, and to the players and fans. So many players get busted trying to play at the performances level that origin demands.

Cmon, most of those players name their proudest moment as winning for their state, and NOT their friggin country. That's bullshyte.

Most of these players magically gain form playing origin whilst being almost mediocre for their clubs.

the Comp and other players take a quiet back seat for 8-9 weeks out of every year.

long fark origin

Roosters For Ever

Comment

Working...
                      X