No announcement yet.

Angus Crichton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cordner is the best backrower at our club and would you swap Tauks for Papalli?

There is no way I would so that settles the argument.
    Originally posted by Bondi Boy

Pathetic!
    What a rabble we are.

Oh well, maybe next year

Comment

Interesting read a few years ago about Angus
      barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Some interesting stats on NRL.com today about the effort areas of all the players involved in SOO1, Crichton covers more distance a game than any other forward involved in SOO this year.

"Crichton (7.5km per game) and Cordner (7.1) are the only forwards on show to cover more than 7km per match."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/29/...-effort-areas/

I really do think some here are being overly harsh on him because he isn't putting on eye popping attacking displays yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
          Some interesting stats on NRL.com today about the effort areas of all the players involved in SOO1, Crichton covers more distance a game than any other forward involved in SOO this year.

"Crichton (7.5km per game) and Cordner (7.1) are the only forwards on show to cover more than 7km per match."

I really do think some here are being overly harsh on him because he isn't putting on eye popping attacking displays yet.
          Totally agree. Have a little faith. He has been putting in effort every week. He just hasn’t had the line breaks and offloads of previous seasons. He has been conservative in those areas. Maybe lacking a bit of confidence. I think SOO might be the start of better things for Angus this season.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post

Totally agree. Have a little faith. He has been putting in effort every week. He just hasn’t had the line breaks and offloads of previous seasons. He has been conservative in those areas. Maybe lacking a bit of confidence. I think SOO might be the start of better things for Angus this season.
            He's also being pretty heavily marked. I also think that he stood out more at Souffs because they had a lot less attacking weapons than us.

Comment

The winemaker on Geyers triple M segment said the Chooks are unimpressed with Crighton and are shopping him around....Make of it what you will.
              Last edited by The Brain; 05-30-2019, 07:11 PM.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

Agreed. IMO we need to remember:
                1. Above all, he REALLY wanted to play for Bondi. Like Teddy... you can't buy that shyte. If a guy's Origin grade and not so secretly wants to play for us then SIGN HIM UP!!! I mean one could argue we coulda signed whoever... did that other player wanna move here and buy into our culture?
                2. Like Cords (and Cronk)... he's a 80 minute workhorse with a good head and a safe set of hands and a cool head. You pass the ball to Latrell or Teddy if you want to gratuitously steal 40m at a crucial moment. You pass it to JWH if you wanna somebody to totally lose it and beat the cr@p outta somebody to intimidate them and force errors. You give it to Crichton when the boys are tired/frustrated, errors are setting in and you just need a safe set of hands from somebody who's not gonna have a brain fart + fark everything up.
                3. Crichton was more involved at Souffs, I'll give him that. We all first noticed Crichton we he started getting more fantasy points than anybody else (a bit like Corey Parker and Cam Smith do/did on a regular basis). I dunno what's up there but I suspect it's a mixture of him still learning
                4. Last week he was out top tackler. Many of our forwards got very few tackles and very few missed tackles because they ran away from tackles!! IMO he was hooked because (unusually) got tired and started missing tackles. He missed 6 late in the game... doesn't usually miss his man.

Comment

Angus is a better player than hat he has been showing so far.
                  He looks 10 kg lighter and 10 kg less damaging

Comment

Personally I think the MMM stuff is all BS, The only thing I would like to see Angus do is a bit more of is the carries up the middle, I could be wrong and that's a big possibility but I don't remember seeing him regularly take a hit up every set or two to help spread the load. I am sure he will come good and justify his signing.

Comment

Originally posted by Arties Pie View Post
                      Personally I think the MMM stuff is all BS, The only thing I would like to see Angus do is a bit more of is the carries up the middle, I could be wrong and that's a big possibility but I don't remember seeing him regularly take a hit up every set or two to help spread the load. I am sure he will come good and justify his signing.
                      What were his big stats with Souffs? I know it's not a sure metric but he was getting 60-80 fantasy points a week whereas he's getting ~50 this year (still really high - you'd want him on your fantasy team as a keeper with that kinda consistency). Right now I notice he:
                      - Plays 80 every week (hooked at ~68 mins last week as he had ~6 missed tackles and was buggered from all the defence due to all of our forwards failing... but he took more tackles than anybody and was 90 per cent efficient!)
                      - Makes few errors
                      - Misses very few tackles
                      - Makes a lot of tackles (again... at 90 per cent efficiency)
                      - Busts a lot of tackles (but doesn't run a lot of metres

I was never a forward so I struggle to read into what makes a good forward. I mean honestly, Cords is the best in the game and I think most would struggle to see why given he doesn't run 300m a game, break bones with all his tackles, offload outta nowhere and carry 10 players down the field with every run. He has quite modest stats (similar to Crichton) so go figure. Sack him too?

If I were to have a guess, I suspect a lot of high frequency work is done around the edges. Thus, you need 'edge back rowers' who do a lot of tackles (preventing overlap/line breaks), never miss tackles and do really safe/effective tackles rather than silly tackles that are gonna get penalised. In addition, you want him breaking tackles, forcing defending players to bunch inside (buying extra space for wingers/centres to do their stuff). Not particularly flashy work, but important work that a coach will notice...
                      Last edited by ism22; 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

A good article on NRL.com today pointing out just how much off the ball work Crichton has been doing for the Roosters so far this year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/05/...athon-efforts/

Comment

Gus running metres have dropped about 30% since he moved over....not really an issue

Defence is where he's improved with less tackles missed & errors minimised

It's not hard to see where Robbo is taking him & not surprised about the ear bash following the Ponga tries.

I am patiently waiting for the off loads to come deep into the season......

Hope he gets one off tonight

"Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

As I said earlier,
                            the extra work has made him less effective

The kid was a damaging ball runner. Powerful and hit the line at speed. They have turned him into a Ricko and killed his defensive sting and his power runs.

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                              As I said earlier,
                              the extra work has made him less effective

The kid was a damaging ball runner. Powerful and hit the line at speed. They have turned him into a Ricko and killed his defensive sting and his power runs.

some credence, maybe speak to souths trainers cos to the eye he seems a shadow of his 2017/18 form,

I mean they sort of stuffed Matto in that regard....he's doing well for the Tigpies
                              "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Originally posted by Darkone View Post
                                Gus running metres have dropped about 30% since he moved over....not really an issue

Defence is where he's improved with less tackles missed & errors minimised

It's not hard to see where Robbo is taking him & not surprised about the ear bash following the Ponga tries.

I am patiently waiting for the off loads to come deep into the season......

Hope he gets one off tonight
                                Am hoping I get one off tonight as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X