Our utility role

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our utility role

As much as i think watson will be a star in the future, i am not so sure of the role he is playing in our system so far. IMO he isnt a hooker,his a player who roams around and when he has his hands on the ball uses his footwork and pace to burn players as we have seen already ( last year, nines ). But when his playing as hooker that postion eliminates all his strenghts and brings upon an average hooker with okay service, also he is a small bloke defending in the middle of the park... I personally would like us to opt with a bigger body on the bench so we can punch through teams and not lose so much impact when friendy comes off but hey i aint the coach

Good post Chookmaster, I agree with those thoughts, I am hoping that Paul Carter eventually takes the relief hooker position, to give Jake a rest, Watson is definitely better suited roaming out wide, its a long season, maybe things will alter in the future.

Comment

All whispers suggest he is being groomed to play fullback in 2018 and is learning the trade under Gordon.

It's just unfortunate a the moment that we are overloaded with utilities (Matterson, Watson, Aubusson, Carter, Nikorima).

Comment

What whispers besides chook pen talk?

Comment

With all the heat on teams with the concussion rule it is wise to carry an extra utility on the bench.
          I think this is why he will remain.

Comment

if the 18 man inclusion occurs to back up concussion testing then hes a consistant starter

Comment

Originally posted by Team Evil View Post
              With all the heat on teams with the concussion rule it is wise to carry an extra utility on the bench.
              I think this is why he will remain.
              Between Mitchell, Aubo, Matterson and Carter we already have every position covered imo (if Carter was 17th man).

If Gordon gets injured, Latrell to fullback. He can also cover wing. Aubo can cover centre and Matterson the halves spots. And Carter covers hooker.

This is why I'd like to see Carter on the bench. He's a real game changer off the bench, with his defence as much as anything. In contrast that role doesn't suit Watson as we might not have much ball whilst he's on the field so he doesn't have the opportunity to make an impact.

Hence Carter with his big hitting and strong running would be a great replacement for Jake from the 30th-50th min. Then Jake can come back on and play the final 30 super fresh.

Comment

It's an interesting problem for Robbo. The games so far have not offered any opportunities for Watson to run the ball. In the tight games, where obtaining forward dominance is an arm wrestle, Carter clearly offers more than Watson. But against some of the smaller packs, or lesser defensive sides, Watson could conceivably run amok from dummy half behind our pack.

I think it's a horses for course decision. Against the more physical, larger forward packs, Carter is the obvious choice, particularly if Aubbo & Matto are there for additional cover in the back line. When we play weaker teams like the Tigers, Watson could rip them apart at the back end of both halves.

Comment

If he is being groomed for fullback he should be playing for Wyong and getting experience.
                  Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                    If he is being groomed for fullback he should be playing for Wyong and getting experience.
                    I thought I read somewhere that he has actually played a lot of his junior football as a fullback. Doesn't mean he still shouldn't be working on his skills at Wyong.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
                      It's an interesting problem for Robbo. The games so far have not offered any opportunities for Watson to run the ball. In the tight games, where obtaining forward dominance is an arm wrestle, Carter clearly offers more than Watson. But against some of the smaller packs, or lesser defensive sides, Watson could conceivably run amok from dummy half behind our pack.

I think it's a horses for course decision. Against the more physical, larger forward packs, Carter is the obvious choice, particularly if Aubbo & Matto are there for additional cover in the back line. When we play weaker teams like the Tigers, Watson could rip them apart at the back end of both halves.
                      wyong could rip wests apart
                      1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X